Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

no summer holidays for elektron staff this year?

No. Cause they are working hard on OB :wink:

soccer?

1 Like

fussball

1 Like

Exactly my rub. When I bought the A4 and RYTM mki I ditched my daw (mostly cause of sync issues) and dived head first into the world of software. And I found something out about myself. I was stuck in loop hell for an entire year and a half. I wasnā€™t finishing music. Why, because it was an ordeal break cycle. Re-bought a Push 2. Finished a track in a day. Decided that hybrid was the way to go. That way I could jam on the hardware, sketch out ideas, but realize them into a song in the DAW. For that reason DAW integration is a must, so that individual tracks can be recorded, and the sound design process can be simplified (VST interface vs menu driven interface on the device). I realize this is not everyoneā€™s workflow. Some people use the OT as the center for making a track and hate DAWā€™s. Or the DAW is just for tracking. Thatā€™s fine and that works for you, great! Not everyone has that approach and there has been a great deal of disrespect towards those who indeed have a hybrid setup, shunning their feelings as if they are invalid and donā€™t belong in a forum about a hardware manufacturer.

2 Likes

I have no interest in Overbridge but I hope that they release it soon so that they have time to work on the 2OSC update for the Analog Rytm!

2 Likes

Just sending a message to the Overbridge development team:

I still have faith, like so many other customers must do (as demonstrated through either our patience or silence), that over all these weeks and months youā€™re continuously ingeniously solving ugly usb/mac/win problems, refining a great GUI and testing and testing again.
Rest assured, your end release will be a great achievement when you get there and we wish you speed and dedication to your uncompromising diligence in achieving quality deserving of the electron logo.
When the day finally comes that beta and then production release is posted to the website - you can be proud.

I hope, when it happens, to see a picture of the names and faces of the coding team who have made it happen. You will not be unsung heroes.

Many of us may gripe that an unrealistic guantlet was laid down - but Elektronā€™s shooting for difficult goals is what originally made the company great; the messiness of getting this right must not be unrecognized.

• spoken from the heart of someone, many years ago, involved in managing transformative software development and re-engineering.
3 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but I think the ā€œshunningā€ is due to the fact that if itā€™s THAT important to you, why did you buy something that doesnā€™t have it. I get Elektron stated it was coming, but in life I learned that things happen. Even if they flat out promised that it would be done by a specific dateā€¦things happenā€¦

Me personally? If itā€™s important to me? I make sure it has it. I do tons of research. Simple as that.

Iā€™m not saying what Elektron did was right. Just surprised how many people spent THAT much money on gear & either didnā€™t research &/or trusted a company whoā€™s purpose is profitā€¦then comes here to complain about it.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrongā€¦

Iā€™ve never bought a synth from a charity

ā€œSorry ladies, but not until I finish overbridgeā€

-The faithful devs at Elektron

7 Likes

Yea but you forget that they have been selling devices with hardware with this software for years now. Then they release a whole bunch of new stuff, say itā€™s coming shortly, and thus the debacle begins. Product is purchased on the promise that itā€™s coming quickly, features are promised that still have yet to be implemented. I bought mkii stuff on the promise that sometime in the near future it will be released. Now Iā€™m sitting here with gear that doesnā€™t integrate and no eta. Thatā€™s a major blunder and people have the right to be upset about it without people being aggressive about invalidating their experience.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t forget anything, youā€™re right theyā€™ve been selling hardware with OB for years & the same thing happened in the pastā€¦ OB was coming but took foreverā€¦itā€™s cool if you didnā€™t know about it, butā€¦yeahā€¦this has already happened with them.

& youā€™re right people have the right to be upset & complain on a forum. Just as much as Elektron has the right to sell OB enabled boxes without OB.

Sorry to bother youā€¦let the cycle continueā€¦

7 Likes

Individual outs are a must when you own amazing effect pedals that put onboard effects to shame my friend try that shiet itā€™s tite

2 Likes

I think I know what youā€™re trying to sayā€¦ you donā€™t have this issue with other companiesā€¦ but most products have at least 1 issue, most companies use marketing to make their product look as amazing as possible & not just with music gear, itā€™s everywhere. & there are complaints all over every forum. But Iā€™ve noticed that the products that offer the most featuresā€¦get the most complaints on their forum, which I find hilarious. I wonder why?

Again, Iā€™m not saying what Elektron did was right.

Iā€™m not even talking about that. Iā€™m talking about the people on the other side that are so upset. Sell your Elektron gear, learn a lesson & move on.

Orā€¦ keep it in the closet, complain on a forum & buy the next piece of gear Elektron sells. Whatever. Do you.

Soā€¦separating tracks on hardware isnā€™t as good as separating tracks in a DAW?

Just curiousā€¦I use individual outs, each with itā€™s own track on an analog mixer, each with itā€™s own effects. The mixer has eq & pan for each track (as well as a few other effects), plus my guitar pedals & effects processors & hardware compressor (which also has side chain) & Analog Heat.

Iā€™m honestly curiousā€¦ itā€™s better to use software? Or just cheaper & easier?

Dt and dn do no have individual outs and are relying on Overbridge for the functionality.

Individual outs would probably ultimately be preferable for most.

1 Like

They donā€™t have individual outs AND they donā€™t have OB.

Dude said he wanted individual outs, another dude said itā€™s better to separate tracks. Individual outsā€¦equals separate tracksā€¦so I was curious if heā€™s saying itā€™s better to have separate tracks in a DAW or just cheaper & faster to have separate tracks in a DAW.

Actually I got that wrong. Tendingtropic said individual outs are over rated. But I prefer individual outs & donā€™t want OB. Is it over ratedā€¦or just too much work & money for some.

Yes, that is well known itā€™s not available yet.

Being able to track separate tracks at the same time for many musicians is essential for different aspects. Some people may find in overrated or not necessary. Everyone has a different workflow.

1 Like

Analog summing is the way to go for me. I donā€™t need or want Overbridge 2.0
Iā€™m lucky i only have the A4 mk2 AR mk2 and the Sidstation.

But the fact is after 4 years i will always be sceptic about Overbridge.

I even have the feeling that Elektron will make at some point soft synths or make Overbridge something like NI Maschineā€¦

1 Like