Status update on Overbridge [posted May 2018]

what would be the point of the ETA if they have absolutely no idea when they can solve these show stopper issues? so that if they miss it the whole community would be in an uproar again? we need to accept the facts and move on for now

It was a paid app. Then they totally missed the mark and made it free.

Being in a similar business (games) I know their situation, but I assume the folks are already progressed far enough to be able to provide a “no promises” ETA. If you have worked on something for several years you know if you are 50% done or 95%. I find the current situation of total uncertainty not really satisfying. At least elektron could say something like “we hope to get it done around August, but we cannot promise anything”. That would give me a basic idea at least.

2 Likes

May I just return my Rytm MK2 because of the missing overbridge?

I bought the device a few months ago, being assuerd by the seller that “it will become available next days” - which was indeed aligned with what Elektron was saying, “ca. half of February”.
I like the Rytm but until I can connect it to my DAW (like advertised), it’s useless for me in a specific workflow/hardware setup I have. Yes, I have an option to buy additional 8-channel audio interface, but that’s the cost of more than half of the Analog Rytm mk2. If I knew that before, I would get something else. I understand that for some of the users overbridge is a “bonus feature”, but for me it was a deciding factor while buying the device - and yes, it was stated on the package, on the website and by the seller that this feature is there.

Marek

I’d be happy if they made “just” the editor plus a Digitakt firmware that provides class compliant (multi track) audio outputs like the Rolands do - just without extra drivers. Or bring out the editor first and add functionality later. Other than that I am using the Digitakt happily as it is and it is quite inspiring.

4 Likes

If I were you I‘d discuss this with Elektron directly. I assume they will find a solution that works for you.

2 Likes

You may want to read up on the history of the whole debacle here and I guarantee you you will come to the same conclusion. If you‘re planning to rely on Overbridge you‘re gambling. It will always be threatened by OS and DAW updates. From my point of view the whole concept is fundamentally flawed and in my opinion it is doomed to fall short of expectations, regardless of how great it will be. I‘d love to be proven wrong. On the bright side, your shiny new AR MK2 comes with individual analog outs, which in my point of view will be the only reliable long term recording solution.

9 Likes

If you use a DAW with external gear seriously, I think you need a serious sound card, with good converters, several inputs.

With Analog series, I guess sound quality should be better with an external dedicated good quality sound card. Elektron Midi implementation is exhaustive, so my choice with a DAW would be my RME soundcard, but these days my DAW is Octatrack !

With DT and DN I don’t have, it’s another story.
I think Overbridge is really useful in that case for digital output.

an ADAT output would have worked wonders

5 Likes

Didn’t Elektron already do this…more than once? Gave a no promises eta? & what happened… numerous people got upset, it got turned into “Elektron promised!” & “I can’t use (insert Elektron product here) without OB!”

Honestly if Elektron never mentioned anything until it was actually close to complete or until OB was actually useable on the gear in question there wouldn’t be all this madness. They should keep quiet from here on out until they can back up their words.

1 Like

Adat input / output for Octatrack. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think they did it because OB is a major selling point of the DT. I think it would have been better to hold off on the DT and then release it when OB is ready. Or at least have OB ready, release the DT with “OB coming soon” and then release OB shortly thereafter… would have given them the rep points too.

Yea. I feel bad for both sides in this situation too be honest. More bad for the customers, but who ever is dealin with OB on the other side, I feel bad for them too.

I don’t use OB with the Heat, but I get why it’s wanted where it’s missing. The whole concept is amazing. If it works smoothly.

They should just call Kempfer and ask how its done…

2 Likes

Ti was not working as it does now in the first place and it streams less channels iirc.

OB is working fine btw. Just not on the MKII or new units.
A whole lot of the problem is Apple, messing with their USB stack from release to release and the users which follow that route. I bet OB2 could be up and running already if the outer circumstances would stop fucking around with elektron’s ob dev team.
A PC/Mac which is used for music creation should neither be connected to the internet nor should every unnecessary update be applied to it. Hassle gone instantly.

2 Likes

It’s beginning to be quite certain OB will never be finished properly. Elektron seems to be unable to accept the situation after putting lots of resources into the development. It’s a situation that sometimes happens with software development. The sooner they stop banging their heads on the wall and scrap OB, the better.

2 Likes

That is to say, they will do absolutely nothing. The biggest rub for me is that they are completely unwilling to give even an inch to atone for any of their shortcomings. It’s as if they feel they’ve done no wrong. CEO has his head in the clouds. Meanwhile Elektron can’t even post a single thing anywhere on social media without at least a few people, if not more complaining about when Overbridge is coming. Until they do SOMETHING tangible (feature udpates, free sounds packs…SOMETHING) as compensation for under delivering their promised product people will continue to be angry and their brand will continue to lose popularity. As it stands, where once it was hard for the local music shop to even keep stock of their product, now their shelves are filled. The writing is on the wall.

Is it perhaps likely that they can give us individual outs over usb before overbridge? Or is that going to be an all or nothing type of thing?

Thats really all i want. I could care less about the software editor etc.

8 Likes

At this point it needs to be an all or nothing because of how many units are tied in to overbridge. Releasing x feature would leave some people feeling like overbridge issues were not fixed for them as everyone is waiting for different features that have been tied into and are reliant on overbridge.

1 Like

I think they handle individual cases differently from the general problem. You might still be right, but in my experience they’ve handled all the issues I ever had very goal oriented and to my complete satisfaction.

1 Like