Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

they just need to add 2 simple letters and a tiny info like:

no seamless computer intergration*

*not yet

but even this seems too much!

…there’s even a new Instrument from Elektron…shares the same joke again. but that thing looks fantatstic!!!
I think we’ll see this on messe.

3 Likes

Even Duke Nukem Forever was released so I am optimistic for overbridge and Half Life 3.

more pop ups on reddit about all the new Elektrons…oh snap…

3 Likes

it’s a clear statement about Overbridge Integration. Hope it works this time.

We’re working on it, and it will of course be released, anything else is out of the question. It is still delayed, and I am not allowed to give an ETA or such. I am deeply sorry for the wait, and I thank you for your patience. Reading this topic leaves me with a knot in my stomach, but I know that we will deliver.

For transparency, the Digitakt and Digitone bug fix updates unfortunately ended up pushing the Overbridge release back.

I recently played through Half Life 2 for the millionth time. It’s an amazing game that holds up even to this day, and man does it hurt that there is still no sequel, it hits you like a brick wall every time. Regardless of Gordon’s whereabouts, Overbridge is coming. Half Life 3 would be a nice bonus though.

46 Likes

now you can show your friends at alektron how public relation works :wink:

As next you could tell them that some users feel cheated and that your product pages force people into wrong expectations!

The essence i get is: have more patience

I had and have enough money to buy your stuff, but no time to wait until its working properly!

1 Like

so we will see further pushbacks as we still have bugs thats needs to be treated. I guessed Elektron is developing the ob framework/protocoll independent of firmware, or not ?

the REAL reason for the delay… :wink:

8 Likes

Right now the priority is Overbridge, but we do have parts of the firmware team that is working on other things such as bugs, so I’m hoping that we can at least push out some hot fixes, among other things that are more or less already done and/or won’t require the whole team’s time.

That or a very long Civ session during one of our mandatory month long office-LANs. It’s a Swedish holiday, I promise.

10 Likes

I can only speak for myself here, but I’d like to make it a point that my sarcasm is not directed at the people working at Elektron, but at the situation we’re currently in. It just makes for a funny meme and in a way it’s a coping mechanism to deal with my own impatience. But then nobody should have to lose sleep over what they do for a living and I try to make sure that even when I’m really pissed off with a situation (and unfortunately I’ve had and still have a few, I feel I must be on a good way to UPS platinum customer status) I acknowledge and respect there’s another human being at the receiving end and I’ll try to not add to the abundance of negativity there already is. Thanks for facing the music anyway.

Cheers
Hans

14 Likes

Thanks for the update Simon. I work in software delivery on the testing side of things and I know how difficult it can be sometimes. That said, it should not be for you to come and give us an informal update here. Your bosses or the owners of the company should grow a pair or at least apply some common sense and give us regular and informative updates. All that is happening with the silence is that bad blood and distrust are brewing. That said, it is worrying that you still can’t give an ETA. Anyhow, thanks again and good luck. Hopefully it will be a distant memory soon enough.

5 Likes
1 Like

You know Elektron, in part I’d take peoples fury and persistence on this as a sign of how committed they are to your products, because they are superb, but I also hope that it helps the company learn a lesson for future.

Like why release five pieces of hardware in one year? Surely one or two releases are difficult enough to iron out issues for. It doesn’t look good! Also, someone needs to have a word with your sales team - they are not doing the company any favours by over promising.

I have big love for what you guys do, but won’t buy any equipment from you until the community give it the all clear. I won’t be the only one. This will start to render the process of getting your products to market quickly as a waste of time, money and resources. Minimum standards before announcements, hype at the right time. and you’ll avoid backlash.

17 Likes

You know that if @Ess had his way, a reasonable degree of transparent communication about the issues/timeline would happen. But it’s always been clear to me that somewhere up the chain in Elektron, there’s a prevailing distrust…maybe even distaste for the customer, and cards-to-the-chest-mum’s-the-word is the go to strategy.

A strategy that’s being severely tested…

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. At this point, anything that could be interpreted as a commitment to deliver something at a certain point of time could be considered harmful by Elektron Management. In my company there are also strict guidelines on what and how we’re allowed to communicate to customers. Not because we think they smell bad, but because certain kinds of statements can have impact on topics like revenue recognition and are fit to do damage to the company far beyond any potential benefit.

Well, giving another ETA would probably do more harm than good (for everyone). Fist scenario is they give a too large ETA and they have to wait to release OB. Second scenario they give an ETA too short and people would get even angrier at them. Third possibility is giving an ETA that spans over a large amount of time (like the february release), but people getting more impatient and angrier would still be an issue.

Want to thank @Ess for the update.

Not a pretty situation though…

A firmware update, without OB for new features like - Dual VCO o Rytm, would be fantastic, but of course project dependencies would dictate the possibilities.

2 Likes

It only took 3 years in the 1800s.

5 Likes