Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

It only took 3 years in the 1800s.

5 Likes

It’s kind of funny, I can almost viscerally feel a bit of tension leaving these threads when there’s some communication from Elektron. I would think most people in here are impatient but reasonable, and just frustrated at times. Not great work from Elektron, but in the end the people on the floor are just a bunch of Swedish nerds trying to make some cool products, and the vitriol in here can be a bit much at times. The June release someone mentioned might not be a bad punt, until whenever we can all just try to get along? Hmm? Okay. Sorry for the nerd part.

New Elektron tagline!

7 Likes

Would love Dual VCO as an Easter surprise! :rabbit:

1 Like

mhm i dont think that’s ever possible cause of hardware dependencies…but routeable LFOs like in the Machinedrum would be awesome…since i don’t need LFOs on every Track but sometime more than one on others.

2 Likes

Erm, it’s already in Alpha or Beta. There are videos demonstrating the new dual VCO feature on YouTube.

1 Like

If some here seem to think, that it might be better for Elektron (or even us buyers) to keep silence, that kind of reasoning won’t work with me.

When I ordered my first Elektron device with the AR Mk2, I already had very concrete plans of buying more Elektron gear for recording with Overbridge. I had become really curious for their stuff. By that time, I even would have accepted a limited software delivery delay, within a roughly communicated time frame, if they would have taken customer concerns to be well informed more serious.

But after I read that incredibly non-informing Status Update message, and more so after another month of impertinent Elektron silence, that has completely changed my goodwill view: meanwhile I have decided, that I won’t spend ANY more money on Elektron gear, for years to come! And that’s not just due to the delay, but at least as much due to Elektron’s roaring silence since.

If a company is managed in such poor style towards their paying customers, completely ignoring their legitimate interests through many weeks after delivery failures, I simply don’t want to deal with them any more. Especially not with such a kind of management, which I regard as failing much worse, than their whole software development team ever could. It’s them (their leading managers), who obviously underemployed for too long. It’s them, who are responsible for wrong advertising, misleading customers, while seeing no problem pushing and selling lots of new hardware as long as possible, no matter if OS and software were ready enough. And then it’s them again, who don’t know how to behave towards customers, after problems amount to the present size.

And from talking with some other users, I’m also aware, that Elektron meanwhile might face a lot of similar buying behavior consequences from others like from me - mainly due to taking it over the top with their inappropriate silence, after ongoing software development problems.

So no, keeping silence is anything but a smart Elektron move for what is at stake now from my view. They are sadly mistaken acting like that, while their customers simply move on to pay for what they really need and want. If managers begin to remind customers of a bunch of little children, trying to vanish facing problems, just by keeping their eyes closed hiding them with their hands, that normally can’t work out well in an adult real world. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can’t add much here, but having OB on my AK has been the key for me as a new Elektron user. Not for tracking as it has multiple outs anyway, but for sound design. I’ve made about 200 sounds from scratch and every one was done in OB.

For me, OB was the printed manual. It taught me everything, and once I understood the architecture I was then able to navigate the hardware alone in a live jam situation, because I knew where things would be.

Like I say this doesn’t add much but I totally feel for people waiting for OB. I hope they deliver soon because, without it, I think I might have sold my AK and I think the same might happen to others.

6 Likes

I feel the same w regard to my Rytm MKI. I do some rough sound design on the machine but when I start multitracking and refining sounds to fit into a mix using the plugin is so much faster since I’m already in Ableton using the mouse. I feel bad for anybody who bought a newer box expecting this right out of the box.

2 Likes

Quick, before it’s taken down!

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s crazy to me. Two of the missing features that new purchasers always talk about, OB and multiple outs for tracking, I’ve had from day one! On a synth that’s 5 years old.

It doesn’t seem right and, nice friendly updates or not, Elektron have absolutely dropped the ball here.

6 Likes

This whole situation reminds me of the show Silicon Valley. “First we build a box, promise them a box. Get as many sales as possible and bring in the money. THEN we start to work on the platform.” - paraphrased from Action Jack.

But for real, I hate having these kinds of negative feelings about products I really like and want to explore, but the marketing team of Elektron is what is really killing me.

Every day there are still people posting/asking about OB, oblivious to the fact that it just doesn’t exist for the new boxes. That means Elektron’s marketers don’t care about leaving a false impression to boost sales. I understand you need sales to fund the Platform, but tricking people only muddies up the whole process. Its hard to make money when you get your items returned within 24 hours for misleading advertising.

I’m hopeful for OB to be out soon, but if it’s not out by the summer I’m probably going to have to sell my DT and move on.

6 Likes

Thanks for checking in anyway @Ess. Got to just echo what others have said, it’s partly because I see so much potential in combining the boxes with promised overbridge functionality that I have found this all a bit trying on my patience.

Roll on an end to this rather frustrating episode, I personally still can’t wait for OB for the Digis. The more time I spend with them, the more they seem to me to be are crying out for it - (especially Digitakt).

yes especially Digitakt… since its basically been artificially limited by not having any eq or hi+lo filter.
probably the marketing reasoning for lacking eq and filter was to ‘push’ people to purchase OB when OB was an extra charge, as OB will be the only way to tame the freq after the main filter on each track.

I don’t know, i had a lot of faith in Elektron prior to this whole episode, and now I am seriously in doubt of their practices. Maybe it’s just par for the course when you introduce outside investment and marketing. No slight against the coders and core of Elektron, I’m sure they don’t agree with the direction they are being pushed. The marketing guys are using up the good will credit to push quick financial gains to please investors most likely. Seen this happen before.
Hope this isn’t the case, but my trust in Elektron is pretty much 0 right now. Not because of the guys slaving away behind the scenes but because the management clearly dont give a flying f*** about the customer base due to the shoddy QC and communication.
Feel sorry for Simon that he is left as the only point of contact, and likely all of this is out of his control anyway…

Would be great to see the base-width filter of DN being introduced on DT.

I feel the limitation of 2 outs on 8 track DT more than on 4 track DN. The DN’s extra filter helps here a lot - and I personally find synths easier to wrangle into a stereo submix than drums.

On a drum machine, my view is it’s always good to have at least 4 outs, if not fully individual ones. I usually want to at least have the kick on it’s own channel, use sidechains in the computer, treat individual drums with external FX etc. As always, there’s workarounds… :O)

1 Like

yeah the base-width filter on DT would make a world of difference

2 Likes

I used to have an AK4 which I primarily used with OB — and I recently returned to the Elektron fold by picking up a Digitakt. I’m totally bemused to find it still doesn’t have OB. I’m surprised Elektron haven’t got in trouble over false advertising. :rage:

Are you also working on a new box simultaneously?

Thank you for the update Simon. It’s greatly appreciated!

1 Like

As of February 9 2018 that text was “Overbridge for Digitakt will be free of charge, and become available in February 2018. Read more on Elektronauts.” In June 2016 it read “Overbridge for Digitakt will become available later this year.” Use the Wayback Machine to get screen caps.

It’s worth noting that the “not yet released” disclaimer has always been positioned at or near the top of the Overbridge section, in line with the main text flow. So it’s not “in the fine print” or anything.

If you feel that you’ve been personally deceived my advice is to simply tell your story from your point of view. It’s probably more useful to the agency you’re dealing with than trying to “build a case” against Elektron and enlisting others to “bear witness” and such. Playing DIY lawyer is generally a waste of time. If the professionals at a consumer protection agency believe you have a legitimate issue they’ll ask you for the details that are actually relevant.

2 Likes