Status update on Digitakt OS

Overbridge premium for the digitakt was proposed to be cheaper than for a4/ar I believe it was 50$ maybe 59$. Your point is valid though, it’s one I brought up after the first retail price increase.

But, grandpa Octatrack OS is the peak, it’s all going downhill from there… :joy:
In 20 years we’ll all be looking for OT mk1’s because everything since then got dumber… Elektron will cave in and just reissue the same OT again, MK5, in 2038… :rofl:

1 Like

Part of my gearbox lore is that nothing will ever beat the OT ever, no matter how hard designers try the OT just keeps holdin it down, in 2038…
And that Elektron stumbled upon part of the code by fate/accident, so they can’t really do much but keep reissuing it…
I have a vivid imagination and have to make up stories about everything so I don’t get bored… Haha…

I didn’t realize what thread I’m on, I’ve been trying to get out of this one for days… :joy:. Whoops…

3 Likes

In addition to bug fixes and overbridge, has there been any indication as to what the upcoming DT OS update will bring? I’m happy with the DT as it is but I wouldn’t say no to some more filter types and a compressor on the master…

1 Like

No. Elektron generally does not pre-announce updates to features.

Just got my digitakt yesterday. I have full confidence the upcoming update(s) will enhance this little machine beyond all expectations! #myfirstelektron :star_struck:

7 Likes

I still don’t understand why they labeled each of the voices as kick, snare etc. It’s almost like they were going for a compact mini machinedrum with sample layering and then decided to pull back on the synthesis aspect at the last minute. This thing is so much more than a drum sequencer. In fact it doesn’t have much at all in common with a typical drum machine. No kits, no track mode for patterns. No chokes on voicing. Are we seeing half of the equation here? More to come? Hmmm. :thinking:

4 Likes

Are we seeing half of the equation here? More to come? Hmmm.

That’s a great question, my friend:)

Still looking forward to picking one of these up once it hits 1.0 proper. IIRC the writing was always on the wall with regards to the feature set. MIDI sounded not ready to go from the outset, and OB was always promised as coming soon. I do feel for the customers that may have had no prior knowledge, but at the same time I wish Elektron had let this one stew before release, they could have knocked it out of the park and created the gateway drug to their other adult machines. Granted, they probably have succeeded in doing this, albeit with a swathe of jaded owners/former owners also in tow.

Still, I dont know if the situation is particularly all that dire. People are certainly making good work with it. I think a simple backup feature is all most people want. Me personally, i’ll be buying one to have fun with and not neccesarily make anything serious, that said I do want it to work as intended.

Im kindve torn on OB with the Digitakt. Really interested to see how the implementation works out and what tricks Elektron has up its sleeve. However im not sure i see the benefit of re-recording digital samples. Im not particularly up on audio science, but it points back toward using a DAW and a midi controller, rather than a hardware box. I get it with the Analog series, because your sampling in Analog. But with the DT, it would seem to make more sense if OB actually referenced the sample on your DAW, rather than in the DT.

I don’t really get what you’re saying here with regards to OB. If the audiostream is completely digital, the sample should be identical if it goes from DT to DAW or vice versa, no?

As many have already pointed out, MIDI stability and lack of project backup is what’s keeping me from doing any serious work, though I still use it for jamming and ideas. The wait is painful but I’m sure it’ll be worth it.

If thats the case, then awesome

My feeling too. Its called Digitakt, im pretty sure its going to be more than just a sampler. Digital synth (a la Monomachine) is my guess.

1 Like

While that sounds great, I think I remember them saying specifically there will be no synth machine added.

But it would be an amazing addition

Just my feeling , but you’re probably right i guess. Its just that i think the Digitakt is limited considering that you can find a second hand Rytm mk1 very cheap now. Of course if you really need the sequencer the Digitakt is a better deal.

1 Like

Agreed, IMO song mode, some more effects, OB and then she is done. :wink: I’d rather a nice focused stable machine rather than Elektron try to cram too much in at once.

1 Like

What’s the point? You can eq/mix/compress, use sends and sidechains in your DAW. That alone is totally worth the wait for overbridge. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. You, in theory, could take your jams and make them into polished productions (:

2 Likes

That’s absolutely what interested me about it… that and outputting separate channels so you can send them to vst/outboard effects and dub mix your DT patterns.
Also a “Song Mode” is pretty redundant when you can change patterns with ableton clips AND have the patterns outputting into ableton channels…

for example.

“I don’t see what I’d use Overbridge for” is fine, but I think there are quite a lot of possible ways really :wink:

I can sense a great wave of killer albums released once Overbridge arrives and everyone gets the hang of it.

If I could automate CC values via USB -> DT -> Synths, then there would be no need to rearrange anything of my live set. Just write, jam, record synths, get multitrack, start mixing.

man, the possiblities…

2 Likes

I am visiting this forum everyday, hoping there will be the update… I am actually suspecting it will be a 2.0 update, with all this wait…