Starting Arpeggiator with trig ( as opposed to MIDI IN )

So… eye pulling evening, I have set up a sequence on the OT in MIDI mode without a problem. I have also created a custom arpeggiator sequence without a problem. The problem is that I can find no way to trigger the arpeggiator on the OT alone. I had expected to be able to create a MIDI sequence with just a single note, which would then trigger the arpeggiator, but not a sign of this being possible. Advice please! How can I initialise the playback of the arpeggiator with a trig? Thanks!

RESULT

Thanks to everyone, avantronica for his persistence and general helpfulness, and to xenosapien for the same, but for the bonus points of suggesting LEN 1/1 to define the arpeggiator play length. I would never have guessed. Thanks all.

chromatic mode

Fn + :arrow_down: (a few times)

1 Like

Thanks for the short cut. Its good for playing notes on an external keyboard from the OT, but doesn’t provide a way to enter a trig to initiate the arpeggiator in a sequence. I want to be able to trigger the arpeggiator without having to use an external keyboard e.g. put a note in the sequence to start the arpeggiator, but no idea…

you don’t need an external keyboard to play arp
not sure which element of the puzzle you’re missing here

2 Likes

Yes chromatic mode as mentioned (uses the OT’s trig buttons)

or set the track(s) to plays free direct and put an infinite note on step one. this way you can use the trig buttons in regular mode and trigger more than one track/arp/channel together

2 Likes

I think the problem is the way I have written this. Yes, I know how to trigger the arpeggiator by holding down the trigs.

I want the arpeggiator to start in tandem with the OT transport, so when I press play, the arpeggiator starts and sends to external synths… A different picture. Is that possible?

Put a trig step 1 on the midi-track with the arpeggiator. Press PLAY.

2 Likes

This ^ - be sure to plock the extra notes if needed - either by holding Trig and playing from ext kbd - or by dialing in the extra notes Params for not2,3,4 in step mode - or record the chord in live rec mode and tidy in step mode to taste - extending note length as mentioned above iirc

3 Likes

I’d use quantize 1 step !

Funny you mentioned plays free because this morning this thread gave me the idea to sync arp with an empty plays free, triggered with external keyboard, midi processor.
I have to try that tonight.

2 Likes

That’s default behavior! Write it again maybe? :slight_smile:

@Illogical
Edit : Note page LEN = 0 disable arp.
Start with a new project maybe, because it should work by default, just setting the midi channel, arp on, one trig, press play.

isn’t 1 step still broken (behaves as 2 step) sorry off topic

I checked 2 steps only. I’ll check in a few hours.

1 Like

maybe all the OP is missing here is this:

you need to assign MORE THAN ONE NOTE to the trig.

(=the bottom row of encoder on the MIDI note parameter page, “NOT2, NOT3, NOT4” - see graphic)
midi%20ot

each trig on the sequencer can hold more than one note - just like you would hold 2,3 or 4+ notes at once on a keyboardsynth to trigger its arpeggiator.

(OR I´m completely misunderstanding what he´s trying to do… this is such an obvious thing that I can´t imagine I am right here?!?)

1 Like

Thanks Burpy - I tried that, but no output!

MIDI channels are set correctly, OT sends midi chromatically when steps are played, so all that is functioning fine.

Just to be sure, I’m going to list what I’ve done with the step you suggested as I’m likely missing something:

• MIDI mode engaged
  • T1 selected
  • CHAN 1, BANK OFF, PROG OFF
  • Press Record button
  • Press step 1, enlightening to RED
  • Press PLAY

I would have expected that once the playback begins, that the first note in the sequence would trigger the arpeggiator, but apparently not.

I must be missing something obvious… thoughts?

sorry if I´m being slow, but can you please confirm I´m understanding what you´re trying to do (it feels like this is only the 2nd half of a previously private conversation to be honest):

-do you want to trigger external MIDI equipment through the Octatrack’s MIDI tracks?
-or do you want to “loop back” MIDI to trigger one of its own audio (!) tracks via one of its midi tracks?

in your list above, you never set any note value - let alone multiple.

You need to set notes on a trig. Otherwise the arp has no idea what notes to play.

maybe you’re confusing the ARP pattern layer with the vanilla arp

I updated the original comment to highlight what I’m trying to do.

I want to put a single trig on to the start of a sequence so that when OT playback begins, the arpeggiator sends MIDI out to external hardware (press AMP twice to launch MIDI ARP SETUP for reference), but that is not happening and I do not understand. I have checked the manual (chapter 15) but see no mention of this. I have also tried yours and others suggestions to have multiple notes to no avail. I now remember why I do not use the OTMKII.

you´re not reading our answers.

your problem has 100% certain already been solved/answered:

select MIDI page
select your track + set your midi Channel (press encoder to confirm)
set the arpeggiator to ON
set a trigger: set LEN to something long-ish, like 1/1 (full bar)
KEEP TRIG PRESSED and set NOTE to C3
KEEP TRIG PRESSED and set NOT2 to +4 (or anything, really)
KEEP TRIG PRESSED and set NOT3 to +7 (again, anything works)

press play.

it SHOULD play an arpeggio between c3, e3 (+4) and g3 (+7)

2 Likes

Don’t be accusatory. I am reading everyone’s answer, including yours, and I have tried what you have suggested and it does not work for me! If it works for you and others, then of course all is good. The reason I posted the question is that I am not seeing expected behaviour, so I wanted to confirm my findings. Of course I will setup a new project and try again, but at this point, I am worn out by it. I am sending midi out, I can trigger the arpeggiator by holding multiple trigs, but the arp is not starting on playback. I think the best thing I can do is give it a break for now.