Stand-alone nanoloop hardware!

I’ve been following as well :stuck_out_tongue:

This would be an entirely new product (and fully analog), he scrapped it because the initial design was not going to work as he expected.

Good for the people waiting if it is indeed trivial, but he mentioned scrapping that design entirely because he felt it was not in those same updates.

I’m not going over all of the updates again, but i don’t recall him mentioning the analog version much (if at all) since explaining that it was not initially viable. And that again was before the pandemic…

There was originally supposed to be a single device with both digital and analog voicings. It turned out to not be viable to build this, so it was split into two devices. Digital-only is coming now; the analog version is still supposed to be coming eventually.

2 Likes

The original plan was to have a single analog voice from nanoloop mono included, which was scrapped. Here’s what he said in September 2019 when he announced that the circuit design was complete:

As a consequence of this and general difficulties combining digital and analog, the analog voice as well as some other components had to be omitted . The analog synth will later be implemented in a separate, fully analog version of the device instead. You can choose either option in a survey.

Not arguing with you at all, just wanting to clarify. The analog version is specifically going to be a version of the same device. Since September he has been struggling with issues related to the form factor and production rather than the actual core circuitry, and since those hurdles have been cleared, I think it’s reasonable to speculate that the development of the analog version of the device will not take as long as this current version has taken since he won’t need to re-live those same struggles. Especially since nanoloop mono has already been developed and is for sale.

I paid attention, especially as id prefer it :wink:

But the entire point is that he he’d have to re engineer the entire design, he isn’t doing both simultaneously because it required a rearchitecting he hasn’t spent any time on!

Ultimately i got a very different impression from both his words and his complete lack of mentioning the analog version after declaring it dead for now.

I’ll be happy if he gives a timeframe with the final survey option, but i’m not sure if he’ll even have that. We’ll see! Good luck anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Just wanted to boost this, I hadn’t realised how important it is. I use it to build up my drum-pattern, while looping the main chord or tune.
Now I wish I could do it on Digitone…

1 Like

Survey with button choice and digital/analog version, not sure yet, probably will go analog, maybe. :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m really struggling to pick a color for the buttons here. Ahhhhh! It’s a toss up between red buttons (old school nes controller look) or blue (my favorite color)

2 Likes

I went with grey (lame!) and analog, since I have a 2.6 cart.

2 Likes

digital / orange here :sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

Yeah grey or orange look nice, not feeling the tutti fruiti though :rofl:

I think I’m holding off for the analog version.

2 Likes

I went orange/digital - thinking maybe digital is more flexible in terms of future firmware updates maybe ? The carts have gone through quite a few iterations after all.

I have to say I’m a tad underwhelmed in terms of original vision versus delivery, especially with the design aspects. But hey that’s part of the Kickstarter risk I suppose.

3 Likes

I went yellow/digital; will probably also get the analog. I hope Oliver is still including the silicone mask with the icons. I don’t know if I can tolerate another layer of interface inscrutability.

1 Like

Yeah the earlier versions looked a bit nicer I think, a bit easier to see what was going on maybe?

Went Digital / Blue. Had to go with my gut instinct. Honestly I debated doing the dpad grey and right side red for the retro nes look, but couldn’t commit.

Olivier just posted an updated re design - I think he might be lurking :joy:

Yellow and analog for me, I’m in no rush so I may aswell wait for the one I want most… plus I’m in the US so who knows when the digital will be able to ship anyways. :thinking: if peoples demos with the digital version offer up something really cool there is always the option to switch back to digital.

2 Likes

I wonder if they will be compatible with the carts with file exchange? That would be really cool!

Tadam!

Red and digital were obvious choices for me :metal:

I’m a bit disappointed that there’s no diffuser, but I think I’ll end up designing a 3d printed enclosure anyway, so will make something with a clear filament based “screen” which will probably act as a diffuser anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if taping off a square and lightly sanding the area you want to be diffused would work with the plastic he is working with

1 Like