Stand-alone nanoloop hardware!

I’m probably going to hang on for the analog option Oliver mentioned would be in the survey… https://imgur.com/a/BXbR9AW

3 Likes

Damn, i am always too late for these projects. Will it available be for non-kickstarters?

There was an option to purchase 2 devices at a slight discount together when the kickstarter was being funded, so maybe there will be some for sale online.

He has a “preorder” Email adress in His Site. Since Oliver lives in the same city, i will drop him an e-mail and ask him If there will be more Numbers for regular Sale.

1 Like

I can already tell you that the answer is yes, he has an online store and after all the development he has done for this, he will of course be selling it in his store.

3 Likes

Wow. I wanted it but it’s going to be a long long wait.

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same, always enjoyed nanoloop mono the best. I’m still not fully decided though.

1 Like

Get the digital one now and buy the analog one later once it’s for sale on the site.

1 Like

Digital all the way for me. NL2 is far more flexible than mono imo. Even if this new one is super clean sounding compared to NL2 (which kinda goes against my nanoloop aesthetic but would be interesting for certain applications).

I guess realistically I could get this one now play with it and decide if I will use it and sell it if I don’t. I kind of feel like Model:Cycles killed a bit of my hype a bit for a new digital nanoloop as it has some similar ideas but with a nice knobby interface, not sure how often I would reach for the new digital nanoloop over cycles other than if I needed something that fit in my pocket.

That’s a valid point. I think there are several workflow things that nanoloop still has over M:C, mainly the separate patterns per channel and instant pattern switching, which makes live playing a lot more versatile, for me at least. I guess compared to just plain NL2 it probably won’t bring too much to the table in terms of new features, except that it’s not running on a 15–20 year old device that has a failing battery or other failing parts. I just couldn’t get much out of nanoloop mono that I liked, but I know there are some people like dot.AY who are doing amazing things with it.

It will be hard to decide whether to go digital or analog. Anybody care to guess what the pros and cons of each will be?

I took another look at Oliver’s Update 17 email.

I’m not getting what y’all are talking about analog vs. digital. He just says PCBs are in production.

See the bottom of Update #7.

Not sure whether an analogue version is still planned though.

2 Likes

Well he really hasn’t said much about the potential analog unit, my guess is it will more or less be like nanoloop mono but with improvements here and there maybe an extra voice. Down sides with it will likely be less voices, and none of the interesting digital voicings/chord modes. The advantages were analog voicings, for me I felt like it had really great sounding analog drum sounds and big sounding bass drone type sounds, analog filter, something really fun about how minimal it is to me. I think probably more people prefer the nanoloop 2 to the nanoloop mono.

1 Like

He decided not to do analog for the first run. He is developing an entirely new device, which who knows how many months will take to complete development and production of since the first device will take a while to fulfill.

The idea was tossed out there well pre-pandemic so who knows if it’ll take a year or even be a possibility considering product lines to juggle at the moment.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I imagine I’ll use this as a mobile sketch pad, so more voices would be better for me. Although having analog in such a small package would be sweet! Can’t wait for this to be shipped. Now I can sit on the couch making tunes while my wife plays the switch.

Wow, that goes a ways back. I guess I missed that survey. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Definitely won’t miss the latest survey when it comes - because it’ll be the one for our shipping addresses.

1 Like

I think probably not very long at all, many of the obstacles he encountered were due to parts availability, production issues due to the LEDs and white mask, etc. You can see it all laid out in the updates, and the comments in the updates. The core functionality of the device and the circuitry was done long ago. Since that production and sourcing stuff has already been handled, the form factor of the device is complete, and he already has nanoloop mono developed, it will probably be relatively trivial to add another voice or whatever to the mono architecture and use it in the new device.

I’ve been following as well :stuck_out_tongue:

This would be an entirely new product (and fully analog), he scrapped it because the initial design was not going to work as he expected.

Good for the people waiting if it is indeed trivial, but he mentioned scrapping that design entirely because he felt it was not in those same updates.

I’m not going over all of the updates again, but i don’t recall him mentioning the analog version much (if at all) since explaining that it was not initially viable. And that again was before the pandemic…