SSL SiX - Routing ideas / Audio Interface

Yup. That’s how I use them

3 Likes

Yes, this is how I have done it. Send out ST Cue 1 or 2 on back, then return to EXT Inputs.

2 Likes

Same, one pair to a zen delay, the other to a cxm 1978. I find the low input count a bit limiting but it’s a fantastic mixer.

3 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the verification all. Sure beats using up stereo channels like on my Zed14.

1 Like

Also there’s alternative inputs via d-sub which route parallel with inputs 1+2 with separate pan+vol controls. I think only when not utilising channel 1+2 inserts.

1 Like

CXM 1978 ftw :heart:

1 Like

:metal:t3:It’s hands on and sounds awesome. Had OTO delay and verb but never got on with the menu system.

2 Likes

@studionando how did you get in with all of this?

I’m considering a new interface, run everything into that and then out to the Six and back in to a DAW and the Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre Is looking perfect (apart from the digital mixer app side. I’ve never got on with them).

the six has 12 inputs

Hoping for a little help…

Ive now sold my OT and Blackbox and going to be working 100% in a DAW (Live) for sequencing and recording audio…

I’m using:
Electric Guitar (stereo output from an OX)
Acoustic Guitar (mono mic)
Moog Matriarch (Stereo)
Vermona DRM1 (Stereo)
Piano VST from DAW (Stereo)
Samples in DAW.
SSL SiX
SSL Fusion on SiX master insert

I’m used to having everything going into my SiX and then just recording a stereo mix from main outs into my DAW.

I currently only have a 2 in 4 out interface.

Sometimes I want to record midi and send it out to the Moog and DRM1 and record that audio back into the DAW for further messing around. Sometimes I just want to play the Moog into the daw as audio and playing along to whatever is coming out of the DAW.

I also want to utilise some FX pedals and a Quadraverb.

I can’t wrap my head around how best to get this all working now. Am I best getting a bigger interface, record it all into my DAW and send that all back out to the Six/Fusion for final mix then back as a stereo into the DAW?

Sorry, that’s probably a bit of a rambling…. It’s all early days so I’m not sure what’s best to do.

Multitrack. Like in olden times. I mean, if you’re using a DAW, why not?

1 Like

Wow the ssl six / fusion combo must be amazing! I think the lack of inputs outputs on your interface sounds like the weak link to fully utilise the analog summing power of the six of primarily working in a DAW.

1 Like

Yeah, think I’m over complicating it in my head. Also moved to Live from Bitwig and that’s giving me headaches on the monitoring side. My monitors come out of the SiX, I might move those to the interface and that would help (I think).

Loved the SiX from the moment I got it, the Fusion was the cherry on top! Love it.

And yeah, think extra outs on the interface would really help for final summing.

About the 8pre

Well I got a shitty B-stock, retuned it and never looked back, until today when I was doing a small research about it. There isn’t much joy to find online about it, only when there was a youtube launch. Many video’s appear in the beginning, not so much are being uploaded this year…

The SSL2+ is something that I think made the most sense, also when SSL is showcasing why its good to combine it with the SiX from 01:00 Six in conjunction with SSL2+

What I don’t like is the IO on the SSL2+ I don’t need unbalance RCA :roll_eyes:

Watch this in depth video from your home recording studio
conclusion IO from 31:00
( he actually went for the Motu M4)

That’s how it works these days, hype trains and Universal Audio just joined.

UA Volt series
Here a nice overview of the products, let the hype start right?

So UA is on purpose not sharing the specs of the Volt series :unamused: to stir up the hype even more…
but the Volt 476 looks nice and has better IO then the SSL2+ (125€ more expensive tho)

atm is still rock it with my behringer
123497_1613245544

So yeah, still not sure what to do, I invested heavy in the SiX (1400€) because as you can see, interfaces are getting outdated pretty quick, and not being a pro, it doesn’t make sense to invest heavily in software, witch it based on software, drivers ect,

I do want to stay away from DAW, and “just record the best I can” So summing, mastering compressing is something for later I guess…

In case you are interested how my music sound now? Here my latest jam, recorded with UMC202HD.

Current prices today 11-10-2021 +/-
Arturia 8pre - 645€
SSL2+ - 245€
Volt 476 - 370€
MotuM4 - 250€
SSL SiX - 1255€

btw one that I really would love to have is the
MOTU ULTRALITE MK5

But the crazy thing is, in Europe it cost wayyyyy more :sob:
It cost atm in US 559$ as the guy in video mention (05:07)

In The Netherlands (EU) it cost 739€ that will be 854,03$
WTF 549$ to € would be 475,03€ so a difference of 263.97€ (305,08$) VS - EU

import taxes? whatever its ridiculous

1 Like

It has already been explained elsewhere but I still have doubts. How many inputs on the SIX, counting the 3 mic preamps, have individual outputs? That there is no need to combine two inputs for one output.

And without touching the monitor output. :slight_smile: Thank you

Are you talking about the Big Six? This thread was all about the normal SiX (the older smaller one without the interface). You might want to ask on the BiG SiX thread

1 Like

Is about the SIX. the small one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh sorry. The “3 mic preamps” threw me as I’d only ever really thought of it as two plus the talkback.

You’ve got main out, main monitor, alt monitor, bus-b, the two stereo sends, and from memory you can use the insert on 1 + 2 but not have it return back into the mixer - but I never tried this. None are assigned directly to individual inputs, you just have to get creative with what your sending to the various outs

Off the top of my head, and sure someone would be able to confirm if this is correct:

These should work:
Input 1 > Insert 1 out
Input 2 > Insert 2 out
Input 3/4 > Stereo sends 1
Input 5/6 > Stereo sends 2

Or maybe you’d send
Input 3/4 > bus B
Input 5/6 > Stereo Send 1
Ext 1/2 > Stereo send 2 (pretty sure you can do this, but it’s been a while since I had the Six)

From page 24 onwards may help you:

2 Likes