SSL SiX - Routing ideas / Audio Interface

Hey guys,

I’m a happy owner of the SiX and it works well in conjunction with my synths and drummachines. ( I wish it had more I/O but limitation trigger creativity I guess)

The SiX output is going into my audio-interface Behringer Uphroria UMC204HD ( 2 inputs)
witch need a upgrade imo. ( I expect getting a interface on a higher price range would improve the overal sound quality)

Now I want to upgrade my audio-interface and the SSL 2+ would make a great fit.
But the I still lack the possibility of multitrack, when buying the SiX I also thought about a Qu-Pac, but I went for the SiX.

Now i’m trying to find a good companion for the SiX and I cant get a clear answer, maybe my question isn’t clear?

How would you route the SiX in conjunction with a audio-interface? In order to multitrack?
I play live musicjams, and want to capture it all “in the moment” there are some moments that the music isn’t in balance and need some post editing. But thats difficult with only master stereo. (im trying to work as much DAW’less so im new into this)

So my question:

• Get a better audio interface for master stereo > SSL 2+

• Or something like an Arturia 8pre, MOTU UltraLite-mk5 ect. and route that into the SiX? and then back?

It’s still unclear for me with direction to go, this guy kinda helped me out saying just go for stereo

To put it in a different context: Master stereo is JPEG, Multitrack is RAW, You can really tweak when recording all the channels separate. Can someone enlighten me witch way would makes sense based on my current setup and play style, most importantly how to route in conjunction with the SiX. I’m curious how others folks are using the SiX in their setup/studio.

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

six

I have an 8pre and a six; I like to track live then edit after so similar to what you’re going for here.

I do different setups depending on what’s going on

Method 1: treat the master and B out as groups - so have some tracks go through main outs as normal, then but some tracks on the B bus - muted tracks are sent to this.

Method 2: use the aux sends as outs, in addition to the main and B outs.

Method 3: mix down - make mix bus groups in Live, send them to various outputs on the 8pre, and have those go into the six, then take the main outs back into live.

Method 4: send the aux sends through external fx (pedals, rack gear), and straight into the 8pre, skipping the returns on the six.

I probably did other things too, but that’s what I’ve done recently.

I love the six, it felt so extravagant when I bought it but it has proved totally worth it.

5 Likes

Look into a patch bay! I have the six and moto ultralight mk5. Every in and out of the six and ultralight have there own channel on the patch bay. Using half normal conections I can multitrack to my computer and mix my room on the six without disrupting the recordings. Getting the outs of the Motu to the inputs of the six just requires repatching the face of the patch bay.

2 Likes

Yes I forgot to mention that a Patchbay is also something I have to look in, but still you are using also a 8in10out interface. I think the Arturia 8pre 600€ would be a solid choice for me, the moto ultralight mk5 cost 150€ extra in Europe.

1 Like

This is so useful info! great stuff, and its good we have/want the same setup. :relieved:
I can’t directly say " ah yes this makes totally sense" I’m still a newbie :flushed: I guess I need to study a bit more your steps, and write down the routing options. I can get the 8pre with some discount for around 600€ Maybe I just should buy it and try it, and if it doesn’t work return it…

1 Like

Quick question, I assume you can control the 8pre using an iPad right? but, I can’t find any verification about that, its not advertised in the manual either.

Molten Music Technology made an in-depth video about the 8pre from 30:05 where he tells it doesn’t work on a iPad :astonished:
Is that still the case?

I did not know about the iPad functionality, I’ll look into this. I’m actually not a big fan of software mixers, I tend to use ableton as a mixer if I need that. I can see how it might be useful in a live setup but in a home studio it’s kind of unecessart. My old Motu 828 had a software mixer, I spent weeks messing with it and in the end set everything to unity and used it as a plain old interface.

Also seconding the patch bay, super useful.

1 Like

Good info. You covered most of what I was going to suggest. Also, channel 1 and 2 each have their own mono sends. You need a DB25 to access those through the connection on the back, but it also opens up a few more connections as well. So you could use channel 1 & 2 sends, you could send a channel (or channels) out Bus B, which would mute that channel from the main mix, and you could send other channels out through ST. Cue’s 1 & 2. And all of those could be returned to other channels, or in the case of channels 1 & 2, could be returned into their same channels through the second DB25 connection.

The DB25 also sends duplicates of the Main Mix, and Monitor Mix. So if you wanted to capture the main mix as it is, and then send a duplicate out for more processing, you could do that. And you could that another way, by using the DB25 to use the Main Mix insert send and return, to send the main mix out and process audio and bring back into the bus comp.

For interfaces, I had a very good experience with a MOTU 828es running Thunderbolt through a Mac. The drivers were rock solid, and the conversion was great. I am thinking about picking one up again, or maybe the new Ultralite Mk5. Also, if you need more ins and outs, they make the 16A, which has 16 ins and outs.

2 Likes

Great input guys, I already had the Arturia in my basket, with 2 DB25 cables (2meter)
Somehow it gets very abstract for me, I have to read you suggestions like 4 times to even grasp it.
I think it helps me if order the audio-interface with two DB25 cables and really try it al out. I learn by doing. if it doesn’t work out I just return it…

But to sum a way of routing:

• Synths and drums into the into the SiX

• I use the DB25 OUT/send that split into 8 RTS jacks into the 8 inputs of the audio-interface.

• I use the interface 10 outs into the SiX DB25 IN/return

Correct?

1 Like

Not exactly. The DB25 doesn’t have all of those connections. Many of the connections are regular connections/ouputs on the back of the unit. If you look at the back panel, you will see the Bus B out, the two St. Cue outs, and so on. And if you were to process and return any of those say with some FX, you would do so physically, and send it back to a stereo channel, or one of the EXT Input channels at the top right.

The send and returns for channels 1 & 2, along with Main Mix insert send and returns, and copies of Main Mix Out, and Monitor Outs are on the DB25.

This is a good guide, and breaks down nicely the connections on the back.

If I were to want to record, let’s say 3 synths, and one drum machine, here’s how I might set it up.

Channel 1 - Synth with Mono signal - sent out DB25 send into DAW. The sends are always active on 1 & 2, they only return if you click the insert button.

Channel 2 - Another synth, same setup as channel 1, but Channel 2 send from DB25 to DAW

Stereo Channel 3/4 - Synth with mono or stereo signal. Turn up ST. Cue 1 knob to send signal out to ST. Cue send on back into DAW.

Stereo Channel 5/6 - Drum Machine - Turn up ST. Cue 2 knob to send the signal out to ST. Cue 2 sends on back into DAW.

Main Mix Out on back - all channels processed through the Six out and into the DAW. This way you have the main mix recorded, or you can mix your individual tracks if you like to.

This was just an example of me looking around at instruments here, and how I would set them up for the scenario you describe. You can always change it up or whatever. Also, I have been without the Six for a while, so I cannot set it up to test, but in my mind, this should work. It’s really just understanding the types of sends and whatnot. If you haven’t been through the manual, I would suggest taking it for a spin. Lot’s of useful info in there.

5 Likes

I pulled the trigger and got myself the Arturia 8pre, A B-stock and with some discount for 579€
Also got 2x D-sub25 8TRS, will connect it, try it, understand it (bit by bit) because the problem is for me that I just don’t know/understand all the bell and whistles of my SSL SiX and the routing options. In general people seem to have a hard time to understand the routing logistics. ( based on internet reply’s/comments)

I’m so thankful for your tips, and taking the time to reply to me, much appreciated. :orange_heart:
I hope that there is a wow effect in the plugging in this device, at the other hand, I’m not sure if my ears are well trained to hear any difference, w’ll find out. Tomorrow it will be mine :relieved:

If will try out your suggestions and give you my options ( or dumb noob questions :sweat_smile: )

Nando Dolleman

2 Likes

Okay that was pretty stupid, I bought a B-stock for 30€ less.
Only its missing the manual, the certificate of its unique pre-amp tests
and its serie number is already activated by the other guy, so I cant activate it.
No activation means no working Audio-interface.

This is sooo lame, gonna return it asap :triumph:

Maybe contact Arturia directly and get it sorted?

Yeah, mail arturia support. They’re very responsive. Not being able to register the device shouldn’t stop you using it, it’s class compliant, so maybe there’s something else wrong with it.

Though, it is frustrating that the product key was activated! Does that mean the plugins are also activated?

2 Likes

That was a option, but I rather return it and get a new one, also its missing the manual and the certificate with shows all the test of the pre-amps. Isn’t worth the discount imo. When I get the new model I finally can try to route it :slight_smile:

This thread has really encouraged me to take the plunge and pick up the Six. I’m also not a pro / engineer, and the layout and documentation for this device seem overly obfuscated. But as I understand it, you can indeed get a multitrack recording out of it. Nando, let me know how it goes. I’m attempting a similar set up. Looking into interfaces now.

1 Like

Pages 18 and 19 of the manual are good examples of multi-tracking.

With the D-sub connector, you can send channels 1 and 2 to the interface via the insert sends. And then you have stereo cue 1 and 2 for some combination of channels 3/4, Ext 1/2, and the feedback mic. Mix Bus B outs can also be used but anything you send out of these will take them from the main bus, something to keep in mind if you wanted to use the G-bus compressor for an alternate master take.

I’m no expert, but happy to try to answer any questions you have about the manual/routing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@cold_fashioned I’m gonna reply to you here :slight_smile: thread already exists :wink:

Cue 1 is being sent to the Blackbox in my setup (for sampling). I know I could use Bus B for this, but the Cue is more flexible in my experience. I can sample something without having to maintain volume levels between the Bus B and Mains. Also I can send the LMC mic (for piano mostly) to the Blackbox for sampling (and monitoring through headphones). I prefer pre-fader behavior in this setup because, again, I want to control the Blackbox input volume from the SiX, without affecting what I’m hearing in the monitors.

Cue 2 (left) is going into the Matriarch’s instrument input (back through the Bluebox and then into the SiX on a stereo channel). Here, I prefer the pre-fader behavior because I sometimes want to hear only the affected signal, or want to ride the fader of one (original/affected) without changing the other volume.

1 Like

I’ve been considering/researching the Six for a while now and still a little confused when it comes to routing…especially FX send/returns. As I understand it for a FX send the cue outputs on the back can be used, but I’m trying to figure out return options. I thought perhaps the EXT inputs on the upper right could be used, but not sure.

Ideally I would like to be able to route two stereo fx without using the main stereo channels as returns. Could anyone give me some examples on how to do this? Thanks!!!

1 Like