SSL SiX - Routing ideas / Audio Interface

Outputs Without DB25

Stereo Cue 1
Stereo Cue 2
( Cues can either be stereo for 3/4 or 5/6 or mono via panning from channels 1 & 2 mic pre’s. )
Main ( can be on main fader or monitor knob )
Bus B ( can be on monitor knob or headphone knob )

With DB25
The above plus direct outs for channels 1 & 2
( the DB25 also duplicates Main, Bus B, Main Insert outputs, but they are just duplicates of the same onboard outputs )

Sometimes when I record drums I send 5 channels to my interface without the DB25.
Channels 1 & 2 use Cue send 1 panned hard left and right respectively, effectively separating them, which is routed to 2 channels on my interface.
Talkback is routed through stereo Cue send 2: the left side is routed to my interface and the right side is routed to the left input of channel 3/4

I get a mix of the three mic inputs on channels 1-3, dial in the appropriate amount of crunch on the main compressor and send that to two more inputs on my interface ( there are 3 choices for this, Main XLR or Monitor 1/4” or headphone )

In Logic, I record 3 direct mic channels and a fourth stereo track of the main compressed feed, and get parallel compression just by mixing the 4 tracks together.

Even with all of that going on, Ext inputs 1/2, 3/4, and input 5/6 could be routed separately to Bus B and have their volume controlled by either the Monitor knob or the headphone output.

SCG

3 Likes

Everytime I turn on the SSL SiX all the meters max out and there’s a really loud muffled popping sound through my monitors. This happens for about a second or so, then everything is fine.

I’ve not really altered anything, and there’s no signal going in at insane levels, and all the pots seem to be in the normal places. I do recall this happening before then it stopped, so not sure!

Just wondering if anyone is getting this or knows what this is?

I’ll try and post a vid later.

Always happened with mine too. I just got in the habit of pressing “CUT” before I shut it down

2 Likes

Hmm, the meters on mine sweep through from green to zero, but I only get a single pop (if my monitors are on). I just assumed it was a start-up sequence. If the popping sound lasts long, I would suspect maybe a bad ground somewhere (maybe check your cables). Otherwise, it may be worth investigating with SSL.

2 Likes

Hm. I get a pop but having “CUT” engaged doesn’t stop it for me. I’ve read you’re supposed to turn on the mixer first then the monitors (opposite for turning off) so that’s what I do

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback :smiley:

Yeah, I have some Genelec 8020C with the power saving stand by mode, and this is happening when they are active. I feel that its hasn’t always happened but then maybe it has and I haven’t always realised it! When I get back they should have gone into stand by so I’ll check then, and see if this has changed.

I keep the master fader down until I’m set. Does that help?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sorry, I should have mentioned I’m on the Big Six now and maybe they’re different. I do remember now you’ve mentioned this that I remember the same on my Six as you’ve found. Strange behaviour!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve tried with the master fader down, and all faders pots etc… I’ve also removed all leads and it still does the full meter. Also pressing CUT doesn’t seem to do anything.

When connected to the monitors, with the dull noise.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/p9Nz3CGiyCo

With all leads unplugged. The meter lights go full, then there’s another shorter bit of light movement near the end.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZqdWJj-6Rg0

Other than that, it seems to be working fine :frowning:

It’s totally normal and even mentions the phenomenon in the manual.
I see the meters on mine max out too, but I never hear the “pops”. I never heard them because the last thing I switch on are my monitors, and the first thing I switch off are my monitors.

3 Likes

Thanks, oddly it doesn’t always happen, and when it does the sound can be mega loud. My monitors have a standby mode so I never switch them off, but I’ll start doing that.

If there’s always power going to the PSU, or residual charge in it, you’ll get the pop. Less so if the PSU is completely drained. Apparently, as the manual reads, the mixer will always do it to some level.

3 Likes

I’ve just found the mention of the meters bouncing in the manual. I’ve never really noticed it, until the loud popping and now you have explained why, it does make sense. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Is the SiX fine with taking unbalanced (TS) cables?

1 Like

yup

1 Like

Sweet. Been trying to make it work with a TRS snake but it’s not quite long enough…

Up and running! Does indeed sound awesome. Have Meris fx chained together from Cue1 coming back on ST1… massive soundscapes.

2 Likes

I need some help as I’m a dumb dumb with all this. I have what I presume is a fairly simple setup.

SiX with a patch bay
SP-404 MKII (ch3-4)
DN (ch5-6)
Guitar/bass (ch1-2)
Zoom H1n (Main Outs)
Effects on the Cues (ext1&2)
Monitors (Main Mon)

It all works but I need a simple way to record guitar/bass with and without the Cues. Buss B is routed into the in’s on the 404 so that works well from Ch 1 & 2. That said, sometimes I want to capture guitar/bass with the cue effects but not what I’m monitoring while I’m playing.

The 404 will mostly do the duty of recording live instruments so I guess I can move the 404 and DN to the Ext inputs and move the cues return to 3-4 & 5-6. I could also temp patch EXT 1 & 2 to ch 3 - 6 in the bay when needed. Not difficult but would love a quick way when I’m feeling spontaneous.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I’ve had a shit day, so can’t really get my head around much at the moment…

What I can say, is I wired up a patchbay recently. Promptly dismantled it all and went back to using these:

I have Bus B going to one, then I can send that to OT, SP404 and one other thing just by turning the nob.

If you use the Dsubs, that gives you extra copies of the main out from memory. The Main insert is always active too FYI (so you could take an extra feed from this).

3 Likes

Wow, dope! Never saw that one before.