Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

I’m fairly sure I’ll end up with a 1202 and either a SiX or BigSiX. Adding in the Mackie will be a budgetary rounding error (may as well throw in a Bluebox while I’m at it :sob:) and should expand my sonic possibilities.

Hopefully SSL doesn’t have the L/R balance issue that plagues the little Mackies.

1 Like

Another question is how good are ADDA converters. Are they on the same level as let’s say RME or similar? If so, I guess the B6 will be a killer live set recording tool.

You can do so much with a mixer as “an instrument”. Mackies despite “that sound”, are really nice as performing mixers: layout, size, etc… Seems like B6 has the same qualities + easy multitrack recording + “hi end” = :heart:

1 Like

i just bought a UCX II for its ability to mix and be an interface. I would have waited a big longer had i known this was coming. the Big Six has everything I wanted in the standard Six.

1 Like

Yeah, and if you are looking for grit, then just throw an Analog Heat, or another dirt box on the Mix Bus Inserts.

1 Like

Seems like they really did an awesome job on the big version, a good bit of cash though, but good value nonetheless if it suits your budget.

1 Like

SSL Big SiX - Compact Mixer with SuperAnalogue design

The SSL Big SiX is a the all new compact Mixer from SSL with SuperAnalogue design. The Big SiX features an essential version of G-Comp Bus Compressor, 3-band 4000E Series EQ and USB interface.

Based on the widely acclaimed Solid State Logic SiX desktop mixer and incorporating feedback from artists, producers and engineers to create the next step in SSL hybrid production, BiG SiX is a studio grade mixing console that combines features from legendary large-format SSL consoles with full USB integration, additional processing and extremely flexible routing to deliver the quality, features and workflow audio professionals have come to rely on from SSL.

BiG SiX’s SuperAnalogueTM design delivers the punch, clarity, and ultra-low distortion that engineers love from the 9000 series consoles with the flexibility of 16 channels of high-quality AD / DA conversion and USB interface. Featuring an essential version of the SSL G-Comp Bus Compressor now with renowned ‘Auto’ release, Channel processing in the form of Dynamics and three band EQ based on the iconic SSL 4000E, comprehensive monitoring section and up to 18 channels of analogue summing at mix-down, BiG SiX is the essential SSL studio.

Features

• Four SuperAnalogueTM ‘Money Channels’ featuring:
    • Mic / line level input / Hi-Z
    • Phantom power / HPF
    • Classic SSL Channel Dynamics
    • Updated three band LF/MF/HF SSL EQ (based on SSL E Series)
    • Fully balanced insert point
  • Four stereo inputs featuring:
    • Dual mono switching
    • Wide gain range
  • Built in 16 channel high quality USB AD and DA Converters:
    • 96 kHz / 24-bit
    • Advanced routing
  • Three compressor flavours:
    • Classic SSL Channel Dynamics
    • Listen Mic Compressor
    • Essential version of G-Comp Bus Compressor
  • 100 mm studio grade faders:
    • Classic SSL response curve with large sweet spot
    • Long throw, as found on large-format SSL consoles
  • Professional LED meters:
    • Fast and accurate peak response
    • Large 12 segment main / 8 segment channel metering
    • Defined segments for +24 dBu and +18 dBu
  • Essential version of SSL Bus Compressor:
    • Based on legendary G-Comp design
    • Now with renowned ‘Auto’ release
  • Two headphone outputs:
    • Independently routable source matrix
    • Professional quality headphone amp
  • Comprehensive Monitoring section:
    • Switch between two sets of monitors
    • Mono / dim / cut
    • Flexible monitoring source matrix
    • Talkback
  • Two stereo cue feeds
  • Bus B / Mute switching
  • Two fully balanced stereo summing inputs
  • Up to 18 inputs at mixdown
  • Mix Bus inject for cascading additional SiX/BiG SiX
13 Likes
3 Likes

I’m up for this. It fixes almost all the issues I have my my ssl six, and I can shift my audiofuse + six for it.

3 Likes

Whoa. Even just from looking at the front panel, this thing is packed with features. It’s overkill for me, but it really rolls in a lot of nice additions over the “plain” SiX. The EQ on the stereo channels is nice. Pretty cool.

1 Like

Top!

Finally

Must have

2 Likes

Luckily I don’t have room for this. It is lovely!

Agree! Would have been great if the SiX had it.

1 Like

cool…

This is an X Desk on steroids. As an XDesk owner I am just tempted on building a 500 series violet EQ to add to my chain. However the cost of that would probably pay for this setup.

Hats off to SSL for building a tracking, bus mixing solution all in one box

5 Likes

This is pretty tasty isn’t it.

2 Likes

That metering is so dope. Love the layout.

Someday…

There are no sends on this desk?

I guess you can use the two stereo Cue channels as two fx sends, and (by default) the summing inputs as returns. If the Six is anything to go by, there’ll be other options.

1 Like

I’m not so sure. The connections on the back panel seem a lot more straightforward than the little SiX. Also, with the addition of the interface, it’s possible that people would be more likely to apply sends / returns in their daw or in post-processing after tracking everything in. Though, anything is possible. SSL seems to have a lot of clever tricks up their sleeve.

1 Like

now we’re talking! so awesome. total all in one solution for home studios after high quality.

I find it odd this web shop is the only place online “releasing” info on it though. and the price being $1k more than the SiX with way more than double the features seems fishy. I mean, I would think the audio interface alone would be $1k… :thinking:

4 Likes

I think i see something on back that says “main bus insert” but not sure.

And theres the “insert” button still on the mains….

Theres no way in my mind theyd remove that insert. But im looking for any excuse not to want this!!!