SSL 2 USB audio interface

You going to run any samplers or drum machines through it ? Are you going to try to soft clip your signal ?

Nope. I’ve unloaded most of my gear down to my OB enabled Elektrons. The rest mostly mics to record guitar, vocals, bells, toy pianos, and other random BS. Occasional line in for electric guitar/bass

1 Like

I want to know whether the sound quality on these lives up to the SSL rep – really, whether it is noticeably better than alternatives in the same price range. Is there anyone who does quality reviews of audio interfaces?

1 Like

Tweaked on the + version.

Like everything about this re quality , price and features. The multiple outs work for me in terms of live feeding my sampler and my mixer, alongside midi connections for hardware.

It’s on the acquisition list

I found this video useful for some sound quality test:

I don’t think you can link and balance LR the inputs, so It’s look like not very usefull for connecting elektron gear stereo out.

2 Likes

Thanks for saving me the money. My plan was mpc out to this and use the console 1 to control dynamics and EQ. Ah well I can save for a Drawmer 1970 or Heritage 609 instead.

Well you just pan the signals after recording, same thing. If you want to monitor the signal in stereo, hit the stereo switch next to the headphones knob. They don’t say if this makes the master out stereo when this is enabled though.

1 Like

Hmmm, intersting. This mean you have to set exactly the same amount of gain for the 2 channel, why not. Look like a tricks to do a simple thing. But yeah if you pan 2 tracks this should work.

In the old days, you used a signal generator and a scope for establishing “stereo”. I guess you could do the same with a sinewave and your DAWs peak meter or something?

For example, a goniometer will display a perfect circle if you feed it two sinewaves in same exact amplitudes on L and R input terminal

3 Likes

Useful!

I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these. Any sound/latency/compatibility issues now that they’ve been out for a little bit?

I’m interested as well. I’m deciding between this, the MOTU M2/4, or whether to make the huge leap in price for the Babyface Pro FS.

Anyone have experience with the SSL 2 +. I’m in an awkward situation where I can spend some money on the business. Even got the okay for an RYTM but I’m done buying hardware till I learn what I have( that was not easy to talk myself out of).

Anyway, I’m going to start doing more voice/acoustic stuff and get a dedicated laptop for music. Being that I need a laptop, Daw, and interface. This guy looks like a nice starting point. Any review/advice is much welcome. Thanks!

2 Likes

Bumping.

Interested if anyone here owns one of these and can confirm if the second headphone output can be configured to be used to send out to hardware effects on channels 3/4 whilst the mains deal with 1 and 2?

Edit: ssl2+

You should start with a focusrite scarlett. Much less expensive.

I had two 3rd gen 4i4s fry themselves within a week of arrival — like, hardware bricked. Replaced them with an ssl, zero problems and a way less fussy driver. Maybe the focusrights are better on macs, but ugh.

3 Likes

Since you got one, can you confirm the second headphone out can be configured to use as a means to get a separate signal of your choice (for example a send out from the daw) for use with external hardware effects? Thank you!

Thanks for the reply.

I needed to purchase in 2020 and also wanted Midi so went for the SSL 2 + @ $279. I’ll post back thoughts though I won’t be firing up for a long time (Won’t have a room or computer for a bit). Only going to register as they extended the SSL 2 & SSL 2+ Production Pack Expansion to the 8th. Confirmed via email and they were quick to respond. Good sign already.

1 Like

Sadly, I ended up with the 2, not the 2+, so I can’t help.

1 Like

Anyone observing some glitching on SSL2s when not even in Ableton? Even when streaming Youtube through Chrome and no other DAW activity.