SSL 2 USB audio interface

4K Line in mode
Neutron connectors
Drum strip plugin license
Good converters

5 Likes

I saw on Vintage King that they were priced @ $229 & $279. Seems like a good deal.

4 Likes

Price actually surprises me. Saw the limited features and was still expecting a high price. That seems fair

2 Likes

I mentioned this in the other thread too:
I really wish they would’ve have done USB-C or at least USB-3.0 / Thunderbolt.
USB 2.0 just doesn’t cut it with latency. Would’ve gladly paid a bit more for that.

1 Like

I thought they would be more money as well. The Plus version is the one to get, for the increase in price it’s a total no-brainer, I don’t know why they even sell a standard version without MIDI and with only two outputs. The standard is major weak sauce, but the plus looks like a hit. Still too few inputs for me though.

Heeeeeeck yes! Consider me sold on the plus version, as it’s all I need for a small-studio DAC (but with SSL goodies).

1 Like

Damn you @v00d00ppl !!! I already repurchased the SP-16 now this :scream:

2 Likes

It is USB C

1 Like

I think the sp-16 sounds amazing by itself. I could track it on any interface. Sounds better than my S1000 and MPC3000. I have an Apollo twin to track through. Although this is a good usb interface deal. I want to confirm if the 4K mode is a DSP Ă©mulation of the 4K Line in or the real thing.

1 Like

Standard version without midi might be for musicians who want to track their external gear through it and use the SSL 4000 mode to color their recordings a little bit.

1 Like

For sure, but it’s a pretty small difference in price and you get quite a bit more. I guess I’m really just saying that the Plus version is a good value in a backwards way! It’s also very attractive.

2 Likes

Agreed. Whynot just force the plus to begin with ? Good convertors, an SSL signal path, a knob that goes to 11!, midi sync for your favorite beatbox.

1 Like

No, it’s a USB-C connector operating on usb 2.0 according to the specs

Yup it’s confirmed the 4000 emulation is an analogue signal path. From my understanding you can’t make a 1:1 emulation due to some of the environmentally hazard components of the 4000. This is still awesome because you now have the 4K signal that adds color to your recordings.

2 Likes

How low latency do you need?
4ms combined in/out at 64 samples not low enough?

Because USB 2.0 has no trouble getting that low.

I cant even get latency that low with my ears standing four feet away from a live drum set. And if anyone else can, they’ve broken the laws of physics.

Also USB-C is a connector. Not a specification.
I think you’re looking for a specification designation such as “USB 3.1 Gen 2“

11 Likes

Does it do Stereo? Most interfaces like this just sum to mono…

I saw L + R outputs in the video.

I’m curious. What other 2x2 usb interfaces out there sum to mono?

2 Likes

Sorry at work couldn’t watch the video…

L + R doesn’t always mean that input 1 is left and 2 is right with TRS since it can take two unbalanced mono lines.

I read a few articles but no mention of Stereo without a DAW. Guess that’s a bit unique. Is there a manual for this yet or do we have to wait for the official release?

My 2i2 would only monitor Mono. So I ended up getting a Zoom H1N. But if this actually does stereo straight into a phone (without a DAW) then that’s awesome!

1 Like

I guess I don’t know exactly how low but I have a Fireface 800 that I run at 64 samples and I use busses a lot. When Live recording I hear phasing.
It doesn’t kill me but if the technology is their to improve that, then why ignore it?
For Live performance, I use an X32 Rack where I send instruments in, send them into two different sub mixes where one goes out to hardware for effecting and the other goes to the mains. I have to deal with the latency coming in, then going out, then going back in PLUS the inherent latency in some of the digital effects I’m using. This all starts to add up and when I switch between the two Sub mixes (which I do at any point in the song) artifacts will appear, especially if I don’t hit the switch right on the beat.
Again, many may not care about this but I do and I don’t see why someone would release something in 2020 with a such an archaic protocol.
However, I will concede that this particular interface wouldn’t really meet my needs in the above scenario. But I assume the phasing would still be there and would be an unnecessary annoyance.

Edit:
Yes you are right, USB-C is just a connector but I use Mac and USB-C connection is essentially Thunderbolt 3

I agree had the first SP16 running through 2nd generation focusrite 18i20 sounded great, also have an old TC Konnekt Live firewire that it also sounded amazing through as well. Was looking at the MOTU M4 but the SSL 2+ is a consideration though not sure if this is iOS compatible (probably is in 2020 even if unofficially)

1 Like