Speculation: Machinedrum Mk3?

I would like to see an analog MD, same as they did between MnM and A4…

Of course they are different but they are both synths, so would be nice to see to

drum machines as well :wink:

You made some good points here, jeffe.

The main reason i bought my MD was because i was thinking it had already the individual track length possibility. I always wanted to make some polyrhythmic songs. I was very disappointed about that option missing…

Also microtiming would be great to shift notes a little back and forth to give the groove a more lively feel.

All in all i’d also prefer an OS update with some new essential capabilities over a MKIII version.

IMHO, that think codenamed “Neuron” is the most probable scenario. A hub that integrates all the other machines together would be just awesome, managing all the MIDI hassle, providing proper mixing, AUXes etc., advanced computer/mobile devices connectivity… Or am I deaydreaming.

I’d love an Elektron analog drum machine- I just don’t see it happening. The an Analog drum machine is basically a preset box with a small group of parameters that are modifiable depending on the type of instrument.

Elektron would have to builds a new drumsynth engine separate from the MD (which, of course, is never going to be significantly changed-only updated- it’s their flagship product and a distinctive drum machine in it’s own right). The hybrid idea is really cool (and I would buy it in a second). It would have to be a 16/24 bit FM drumsynth/Digital synth with dedicated voices and also a sampler with dedicated voices, along with 6-8 analog drums. So 4-6 voices for the FM/Digital synth, 4-6 samples, 6-8 analog.

But there’s a problem- at that point, it’s just a 16 voice polysynth with 4 modes of synthesis. Not only would this be extremely expensive and a lot to fit in one box, it would be a very strange product that exists only because Elektron needed an alternative to another product in the line (MD). I can’t see this happening.

So either we get a new take on an analog drum machine-perhaps with sample memory and a digital oscillator that chains a sample to the analog drum (like the Tempest was supposed to be…) and you can fine tune the mix and produce very unique analog/digital hits.

What I can see happening before any of that is an analog polysynth (and why I doubt the A4 will ever have a true poly-mode) . “This is Just the Beginning” written on the A4 box couldn’t be a warning that an FM drumsynth is on the way: it has to be another analog. What is the one thing every Elektron nut ends up buying that is not made by the company? A polysynth! Why wouldn’t Elektron fill in the demand for one with one of their own? I could also see it being hybridized- and maybe in an unexpected way.

An “Elektron Hub” that acts as a mixer, MIDI master, Analog/Digital FX sends AND an audio interface? It would be incredible.

But in order for it to be a full fledged new Elektron box, it would have to include all of those things- things most of us already own as separate items.

Can’t see them making an item that isn’t stand-alone either.

An “Elektron Hub” that acts as a mixer, MIDI master, Analog/Digital FX sends AND an audio interface? It would be incredible.

But in order for it to be a full fledged new Elektron box, it would have to include all of those things- things most of us already own as separate items.

Can’t see them making an item that isn’t stand-alone either.

[/quote]
That exactly is what I miss. A dedicated mixing host that acts as audio and midi interface, proper daw integration, flexible mixing and routing options…
Or the elektron ultimate: 128 audio/midi tracks, 2tb hdd, ot sampling capabilities, a4/mnm/sid sound engines, md sequencer, touchscreen mixer interface, analog summing… nom nom nom

iirc Elektron has already stated the MnM and MD will not be getting the OT’s sequencer, and as someone else stated, they have (or at least when I asked) no plans of updating the MnM or MD to match the OT or A4 in appearance ala mkIII hardware.

A mixer / hub of some sort could be a great idea. Something radical on the mixing side of things would get a thumbs-up from me.

1 Like

I would love to have individual delay\reverb settings on my MD. Would I pay for it? Probably not. It would be nice to see the scene idea from the OT expanded. A mixer wire some crazy aux sends could be quite fun.

1 Like

Just to clarify :slight_smile:

If Elektron did make a new Machinedrum. It would be the “SPS-2 MK1” not the SPS-1 MK3.

For me the top things they could do to massively improve the machinedrum are…

1. Velocity sensitivity, with the ability to map velocity to anything. Connecting my MPD would then be be lots of fun.

2. A4 style Perf mode.

3. Better FX, take the FX of the analog 4 and add a good per part compressor with the ability to sidechain.

4. Improved filter algorithms, something slightly less digital sounding as an option please.

5. Ability to load single patches to a drum slot as well as full kits. Like patches on the A4.

6. 24 bit stereo sampling with CF card storage and USB like the octatrack

Do this and I’ll sell a kidney to buy one tomorrow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

All I need (and I’m sure some would agree) would be allowing the +drive’s samples to be in one large bank rather than confining them to each snapshot… I needs it :frowning:

Well … have a look at the support page with the OS for all machines at top. What do you see?

Version 1.63
Updated 2011-10-12

I think this already tells us alot about Elektron doing something with the MD. As it is the only machine that has not received any update for a really long time now …

I wrote to Elektron complaining about this (as there are still things like the old sticky mode that i would like to see in the MD again) but havent received any answer yet. So they either were very busy with AK, A4 and OT in the past or they just have something at hand with the Machinedrum they wont tell us yet. Lets see how this is going :slight_smile:

I think this tells us that they are done with the Machinedrum, have maxed out its potential, and are moving on.
I don’t believe that there will be a major update in the future. Maybe a few a system level tweaks and bug fixes, but I don’t expect any new functionality or machines. As for an mkIII, I doubt it. If they were to make another drum machine at this point, I think they’d separate it out as another product.
On an unrelated note, I’m adding my hat to the pile that think an analogue drum machine from Elektron would not be appealing. Just sounds a bit boring to me.

1 Like

No way they make an MK3. I wish for a new OS though. Sample diving and transfers are not fun on MD… With that said, Elektron will design something new and not replace viable legacy machines. The philosophy is to innovate not update. It could be a hybrid Analog Drum machine but i’m going with a mixing type FX hub or hmm…maybe something not so obvious and completely new? Let me tell you this, an FX hub with lots of inputs would make those legacy machines with lots of outputs really shine and add a ton o fun.

I doubt very much that they’ll make another MD. As stated many times already, it would be too redundant for the Elektron family. And I agree with ‘smais’, an analog drum machine sounds kind of boring for Elektron.

A master mixer/fx/control surface device seems to be the most logical next device, if you consider the main elements of electronic music making (rhythm machines / synths / samplers / effects devices / mixing / recording / weed smoke).

Still, I hope the new machine is something else. Like an FM monster of some sort.

I’ve been wondering recently if the A4 may be the closest Elektron gets to an analog drum machine. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a video pairing it with the AK for a full analog sound. I could see it as a marketing angle to entice people into owning both machines.

I really want a hardware mixer/FX/control device from Elektron, but I’d be quite happy if they did something like that as an iPad app that would fill in a lot of user requests for their existing gear in lieu of designing hardware to be general enough to appeal to non-Elektron users. Simple kit reload and CTRL-AL on the Mono, and I’ll love you forever.

hmmm i really hope this doesn’t come true, but part of me says it WILL be another drum machine probably with just 8 tracks.

no bias, i have an MD coming my way in a couple of weeks

1 Like

They created the world best drum machine, two synths n a dammed sampler. They cover quasi all hardware possible machine. All ? They would be commercially efficient by creating the hardware sequencer that brings monome and genoqs ones to museum of electronic music. Some kind of elektrom genial new stuff : the ultimate sequencer (that would surly fit customers needs and bring new and larger public interest in a product hable to breaking old fationned way of play electronic music).

1 Like

I think it’s always important to keep the discussion going, of what new features or elements could be improved in even the oldest hardware.

For me the simplicity of the MD is what draws me in, there are layers of complexity but you don’t have to use them, and if you do they’re still pretty easy to follow. Also there’s not too much menu diving.

But it would be really useful to have an auto save. I dunno how that could be implemented, but I’m tired of losing kits because I forget to save before twisting live parameters. I know, I can train myself, but it would be a nice software improvement.