Speculation: Machinedrum Mk3?

Given how advanced the sequencers in all the other boxes are compared to the MD sequencer, and the interface improvements in the OT and A4… I can’t imagine that Elektron can resist updating the MD.

A new MD in black with sequencer features of the OT and A4? Hmmm.

3 Likes

In my opinion if a mk3 was created by making the mk2 more like octa or a4 it would cease to be a machinedrum. The device has a life and place of its own and it’s a beautiful thing, it can be improved but never replaced. Sometimes inadequacies and limitations make something beautiful and this is totally the case with a mk1 and mk2 Machinedrum. I have an A4 and the new design feels very different to the MD, I like it but it’s not the same. This has a lot to do with the sequencer, more info on the screen and more possibilities.

So I suppose what I’m saying is: If it is done then it should be big improvements on a very few features similar to the mk1 -> mk2 progression.

This saved me from creating an “I love my machinedrum” thread.

5 Likes

I’m leaning more towards the “Neuron” which was suggested at the old Elektron-forum, a device that will tie the three other machines together and have some cool added functionality that could potentially add more to the existing machines, or something along those lines. That’d be cool.

Or possibly an Analog Machinedrum.

hooray, I got 2 cents…
the monomachine is really difrent then an analog4 … yet their both synthy-grooveboxes …

I don’t think they make a machinedrum mk3… I bet they make a drummachine which is eh the same difference between a monomachine and an analog4…

bwehehehe I wonder how their going to make an analog sampler
the electron 6track in 2025… real tape for that vintage sound…

we will get questions like… I tried reeling the tape from my 6track around the chair, past a blowdryer to run into my machinedrum, but I cant find the tapeheads on it… do I need a tape to midi convertor?

1 Like

Well, I really do hope they will make a MK3 because this is what is preventing me to replace my trusty MKII non-UW by a newer UW version.

After years using the MD, I do now miss features of A4 and OT concerning the workflow.

The MKII is now several years old and can enjoy some nice upgrades (USB etc…) without ruining its position in the Elektron product range. So why not, it won’t be a full product development for Elektron to do that, and give some kick to the MD sales (vs other newer drumachines like the Tempest etc…).

And it will have a black front plate and round buttons, Yes ! :wink:

1 Like

A MKIII with updated sequencer, USB, flash card etc would be cool, but weren’t we speculating about an analogue drum machine on the old forum? Seems logical given the expertise gained with the Analog 4.

There are lots of new analog drum machines out there, so I’d be surprised if Elektron jumped on the bandwagon as they tend to lead the field rather than follow, in any case they kind of already did an analog drum machne in the A4, 16 voices of that architecture would probably cost more than most are prepared to pay? And no disrespect to things like jomox, miami, mfb etc but the voice circuits are very simple and I don’t see Elektron following that route.

2 Likes

I asked Elektron support several months ago whether they going to replace MD or MM with MK3 models. They said that both machines will be in production and they have no ambitions to replace them.

1 Like

Good point darenager, though sound locks could stretch less voices further, particularly in a percussion context. Pure speculation though.

Its been said before MkII’s were only ever made due to parts anyway. Why would they make MKIII’s?

1 Like

One wouldn’t need 16 analog voices to begin with. 8 analog + 8 digital (with sample option and layering) would be the perfect evolution from the machinedrum. The machinedrum would really benefit from analog sound creation but it would also seriously benefit from the possibility of sound layering (even 1 layer of synthesis + 1 sample layer combined would be an immense improvement over the current machinedrum).

If Elektron decides to go the analog/hybrid drum machine route there are several routes they can take while still taking the lead instead of following.

The fact that other manufacturers are releasing drummachines doesn’t mean they did it right. :slight_smile:

I know I would be F5-ing their webshop when this happens…

1 Like

Well, at one moment they will obviously update the MD or introduce an new drumachine product. When is not known yet, and they will not tell it anyway, even if we ask them (because sales need to continue, even on products that could be on the end of their lifecycle).

I mean in all businesses you need to update, upgrade and expand your range. Elektron is in range-expanding phase now. But replacement is also how turnover and sales are fulfilled, even if your product is the reference for the last decade.

They will not do it particularly for us, but for the next generation of customers. They still have room for differentiation products like a sequencer, an effect box, some IOS APPS (i am joking), but will also undoubtedly update, when the time is right, one by one the other products (MnM, A4 etc…). OK I know, the SID had never had a replacement, neither the MnM with keybed…

:smiley: …actually, you got me thinking and found this: http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/tapesync.htm … so there shouldn’t be problems with that :slight_smile:

[quote="“guga”"]

:smiley: …actually, you got me thinking and found this: http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/tapesync.htm … so there shouldn’t be problems with that :)[/quote]

Hahahaha, aplause… sir you got a sense of humor :smiley: bravo

One wouldn’t need 16 analog voices to begin with. 8 analog + 8 digital (with sample option and layering) would be the perfect evolution from the machinedrum. The machinedrum would really benefit from analog sound creation but it would also seriously benefit from the possibility of sound layering (even 1 layer of synthesis + 1 sample layer combined would be an immense improvement over the current machinedrum).

If Elektron decides to go the analog/hybrid drum machine route there are several routes they can take while still taking the lead instead of following.

The fact that other manufacturers are releasing drummachines doesn’t mean they did it right. :slight_smile:

I know I would be F5-ing their webshop when this happens…[/quote]

I’d prefer a purely FM based drum synth with multimode filters myself (at least 4 OP FM) with an engine geared towards utterly weird assed percussive material as opposed to an analog based one myself.

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind different track lengths and stuff, but then again I can just sample or sequence it from the octatrack. The “limited” sequencer makes it more fun to play mutes and the multi control machines. As a MIDI sequencer I like the MachineDrum just as much as the Octatrack, but for different reasons. For me, it’s a six of one situation.

I dunno, hardware-wise, the MachineDrum seems pretty solid and one thing that makes me like Elektron is that they don’t seem to poop out a new version every time they do a software update, which makes it feel more like proper hardware and less like a computer program with an expensive controller attached.
That said, I’m all for software updates. :slight_smile:

The inputs could be used for more, I think. As far as I can tell you can’t use them to gate patterns or mute tracks. Or it’d be lovely to be able to set CV “velocity” maps so you could use the Analog4 CV out to trigger/mute more sounds.

It’s such a fun synth, I’d dig a tuned percussion mode/poly mode for kalimba, marimba, xylophone etc type sounds. More physical modeling, etc.

I know I would be F5-ing their webshop when this happens…[/quote]

I’d prefer a purely FM based drum synth with multimode filters myself (at least 4 OP FM) with an engine geared towards utterly weird assed percussive material as opposed to an analog based one myself.[/quote]
It seems to me that the MonoMachine (more than the MD) would benefit from an update to take advantage of the increased user wave space as well add some more esoteric digital synthesis machines, like vocoder, re-synthesis, FM with custom waveforms and additive. Dunno if there is enough juice in the MK2.

I don’t get what is meant by layering, you can already link sounds on the MachineDrum now? Or when I sequence it from the octatrack the little “note 1” +x +y +z is super useful. :wink:

Rather than a MD MK3 I’d dig tighter integration between the MD and OT. Give the OT a MD drum track machine :astonished: for sending and receiving samples and kits between the two and sequencing with 16 named MIDI notes and named CCs. :slight_smile:

Layering with the MD is possible but you will lose a track. Do this several times and you will seriously run out of tracks fast. Layering solves this, just implement the possibility to layer a sample on a track (or a second synthesis layer) and the issue is fixed.

Any MPC can layer 4 samples (with completely different sound settings) so DSP wise this shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Your MnM ideas sound excellent…!! :stuck_out_tongue:

In my description I wasn’t aiming for a MD MK3 and I think it will never happen. If Elektron decides to create an drummachine with analog sound creation it will probably be analog only like the A4. There is no point in competing with one of your own products… :wink:

1 Like

Knowing that the md is still in production, isn’t an updated operating system long overdue? I bought an md back in 09 because there were regular additions to the o.s.

As much as I appreciate the new black, I really hope some of the great suggestions on the e-u forum get implemented in the silvers…

Some new machines and features wouldn’t go astray:-)…ie: neighbour fx units, additive synth perc, hold trigger and tweak parameter to p-lock all notes on a track etc etc etc.

In lieu of this, I wouldn’t throw a mk3 out of the house if it was forced on us …

I’d really like Elektron to make a modern analog drum machine for live use, simillar to what they have done with the A4.

Acid lab, Jomox, MFB have tried to do this but falls short.

Bring on the creativity in the Elektron HQ