[BATTLE OF THE EXQUISITE CORPSE] Team Verses! (Stage 1) - Start the sample search!

If this is going to start end of June/happen in July count me in please.

I did the open challenge collaboration a couple of years ago with the lovely @Affectionate-Bee-781 and it was deadly

2 Likes

Got it!

1 Like

Okay, I closed the registration, we have 4 teams of Four.

A Four for Four.

Anyways. Here is the final list.

1. @aarb420

2. @pandanaut

3. @jdaddyaz

4. @monquixote

5. @malus_mons

6. @Maisin

1 Like

So a couple things. First off, welcome to the Battle! And thank you for signing up.

I want to keep this loose and fun. Not a huge stickler for rules, but some guidelines are nice. And I will keep things organized for everyone.

The next step is to find an element you would like to bring to the table. Post it here, so people can spectate and be along for the whole journey.

There is no need for secrecy or too much gameplay. It’s all about the music and the talents I’m excited. And even techniques to learn after this is all said and done.

In terms of the element, it’s completely up to you. A break. An FX element. Or a sound bite.

No full acapellas. Just so people produce their own melody. But vocal hits are great.

Any questions, just ask.

In terms of teams and timeline.

We will kick off July 1st. I was hoping for a 2 week production window, then we have a check in.

Would you be down to show off WIP?

Think of it as a demo. No full arrangements.

Just a taste.

A tease.

Then maybe go back for a week or so? Try to wrap up at the end of the month.

But if people are need a bit more time, we can be flexible when the time comes up.

I will announce teams when we start the clock.

I will be doing a team curation with some randomization.

We got some heavy hitters I want to break up to different teams, unless there is a dream match up. I can make changes on the fly.

Going in we have @Ryan and @DrOrthogonal already teamed up which is great. I’d like randomize the other two slots.

Now, would it be okay to also team up @natehorn and @aarb420? They run the weekly extravaganza, and both have VERY DEEP crates. I would love to see two just murder this.

The rest I’m going to seed the teams with individuals that I’m familiar with and toss in the ones I’m new to. That way the talent gets spread around for those not as strong at arranging, or whatever.

Try to stay in the game, and have fun.

There may be some drop outs or people might need to take care of life.

So there is an element of maybe seeing a train wreck. Ride that home with no shame! Even if it’s not coming together, during final reveals, we can learn so much about why it went wrong.

Plus some of us haven’t been producing that long and may just not gel with the track, but it’s too late to start over or majority ruled.

Keep at and roll with the changes. A lot can be learned from producing in a functional manner, ESPECIALLY if you hate the track.

We are going to witness a whole spectrum of production, and don’t be hard on anyone or yourself.

It’s just a game!

5 Likes

Shout out to @natehorn and @aarb420.

Check out the challenge every other week. It’s super light and fun. No real deadlines.

Just people riffing samples off the same track.

3 Likes

Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks for the extra/flexible timeline as it may take longer coordinating with people- with gaps in time for aligning schedules when needed

Just one opinion, but I like the surprise in the full reveal. I am also someone who doesn’t want to watch the trailer before I see the movie, so take that how you will. If there is a tease I hope it’s just a small blip

I am curious how you envision this.
Like a collage of disparate ideas put together from the elements conceived in isolation?

Can extra extraneous parts be added after or just use and manipulation of these elements? If you put down an element is that a commitment for you and the team to have to use that part

Can one or more team members place a seed idea first for the others to riff off of to have more of a symbiosis for the parts they create, or is the idea more of a make it work with what you’ve got/ embrace the clash

Sorry for so many q’s just trying to get a feel for it

3 Likes

I’ve heard a couple ideas different from mine already enough to know that it’s many people and production styles.

I’m going to defer to the teams to do this how they want. Coordinate as you see fit.

See what you come up with and see what fits. If two people come up with killer basslines, then that’s a perfect time to make a B part.

Also in terms of elements, just make sure you hear each one used prominently in some way. But of course there are no limits to what you can add. Synths, drums.

I would say, it would be nice to definitely hear them in an into, then used how the song needs afterwards.

And now is the time to get the sample ready. Find a cool one and maybe start making some preproduction for how you think it may be used.

Actually @1-2, you gave me a great idea.

After the clock starts, how about the WIP will be the intro.

A couple bars. A touch.

But that’s a great way to set up for some subversion of expectations. People will sit on the intro, and once you reveal the track, then bang!

And of course, if you hate the intro, change it for the final.

I just wanted some fun insight into how the teams are gelling, and seeing how the sounds are coming together.

A tiny taste. Just to wet our beaks.

You can add any sample you want.

Or even an effect. Something other than a stock reverb or delay. And have some intention of use. So we can look for it after the reveal. It’s like musical Where’s Waldo.

Like you could bring in a specific preset from Infiltrator 2 or even a preset from Diva.

And you can use the synth way more, but make sure you hear the preset from before the teams were announced.

And you can use the sample in any way you want. But yes, this is part of the challenge to bring these elements in and for the team to use.

I’m also down for full productions, or a clash of disparate ideas. I mean even soundscapes.

It can be a collection of ideas, or a 4 person showcase.

Up to you.

Also expect the unexpected. The most well laid out productions can go sideways and boom. Epic track.

See where this takes you.

I’d say the same personally :ok_hand:

I’m more than happy to be on a team with @aarb420 as long as he feels the same :grin:

3 Likes

Oohh… wait.

Okay, yes a WIP is encouraged, but you can abstain.

Some might want to generate hype by showing it off… or be transparent so we can join you through the process.

Or. Radio silence.

But you still have to have a place on the playlist, it just says top secret.

But that’s on me…. I’ll worry about presentation.

Awesome idea - not willing to put myself out there just yet but following with interest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, alas, didn’t realize this was going to be in July. Sorry, i have to back out as I have some commitments for the first half :frowning:

1 Like

@natehorn That happiness is mutual brother let’s do this thing! :muscle:

2 Likes

Sounds great! Looking forward to it… I’ve a wee question though. So, if the starting point is each person creates an element each, and then each team creates a part to start that uses each of those elements, and then each part is combined. I guess at that point it’s down to each team to figure out how to combine the parts and how they want to expand it from there. Will there be an opportunity for each team to agree a common tempo and key/scale for the elements we’re all creating?

1 Like

Was just about to ask the same question

1 Like

I don’t use software, but this sounds like a job for melodyne and timestrech

Or just layer jup on dissonance and non integer polyrythms

Chromatic free time

1 Like

Great question. There was a bit of back and forth, so let me clarify.

The element can be a sample. Or a one shot.

It just has to be something. It can be a soft synth preset. It a sound bite.

Post it in the main thread.

Then teams announced. And from there, it’s up to the teams to approach this any way they see fit. One song with shared key and tempo.

Or individual parts that are stitched. Or a mixture of both.

And after a couple weeks, I’m going to ask if you WANT to show a preview. For the folks on the sidelines to see how it’s going.

So you can flex, or keep it quiet.

But that’s the step after teams are formed.

After that. Around July 1st, when

2 Likes

Damn, I love Exquisite Corpse visually, audibly sounds so very fun.

1 Like