SP1200 + Digitakt (used as a one-shot / trigger sampler)

Hello and Greetings from Philly, USA—

My name is DRUMAT!C of KicDrum Products. I recently purchased the DT in hopes of being able to use it as a more modern alternative to the S950. The filters and FX on DT are simply amazing and perfect for modernizing the sonic quality of our beat production (DRUMZ + LLINGO).

This may be one of the most inane questions on these forums and I do apologize in advance if my question is confusing… but here goes anyhow:

The SP-1200 uses a rather obsolete MIDI note ON/OFF function and cannot control SYNC A / SYNC B, but rather seems to trigger all MIDI channels’ on the DT simultaneously and chromatically plays back certain sounds — track’s 1–8 (channel’s 1–8). I’m not sure if there is a way to control what is played or isolate a specific range of keys ie. a KEYGROUP.

Finally getting to my question…

Is there a way to set KEY GROUPS or assign the DT tracks 1–8 to only trigger if the SP1200 plays that particular MIDI note, ie. pressing pad 1 on the SP1200 in BANK A would trigger MIDI note # C3 (60) on the DT for a one shot FWD playing audio sample. The SP1200 doesn’t need to control any complex parameters… I simply want to trigger that note to play as it would via the akai S950 or any other similar rack sampler.

The SP1200 utilizes 4 banks and 8 drum pads per bank for a total of 32 possible triggers (sounds).

BANK A:
pad 1 = C3 60
pad 2 = C3# 61
pad 3 = D3 62
pad 4 = D3# 63
pad 5 = E3 64
pad 6 = F3 65
pad 7 = F3# 66
pad 8 = G3 67

If this is impossible… I’d like to be able to at least control my SP1200 with the DT. Is there a simple way to do this? When I connected MIDI OUT (DT) to MIDI IN (SP1200) nothing happened. I’m very very new to the DT, so maybe I’m missing a MIDI setting.

Additional notes:

• The SP1200 can START / STOP the DT pattern mode, but plays all of the pads simultaneously.
• The DT does lock to the SP1200 MIDI clock, but the SP1200 offers erratic playback… which is a great thing if you love that humanized, organic shuffle in your drum patterns.
• The SP1200 will play MIDI channels 1-8 on the DT, and chromatically playback random sounds, depending on the key range.

I can provide the full MIDI note assignments for each SP-1200 pad if needed in order to help me with this issue.

Thanks so much either way…

– DRUMZ

2 Likes

A SP1200 + Digitakt ! What a deadly combination :sunglasses:

I fear it’s not possible trigger the audio tracks of the digitakt by MIDI notes. Sending MIDI note to the Digitakt plays the sample pitched to the MIDI note.

It should be quite easy to use an Arduino to do the conversation:
Pad1 sends C3 60 -> Send C3 60 on MIDI Channel 1
Pad2 sends C3# 61 -> Send C3 60 on MIDI Channel 2

Pad8 sends G3# 67 -> Send C3 60 on MIDI Channel 8

Using the Digitakt to trigger the SP1200 should work by using the Digitakt’s MIDI Tracks.

2 Likes

I rarely post anymore but Drumatic is HUGE on the SP1200 forum so here’s a big Elektronauts welcome to you bro and a free bump and Thanksgiving wishes that someone answers your question.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the advice… will consider this option!

There was a lot of information, and several different questions, in your post.

I will try to answer each in turn:

There are no Key Groups on the DT, but you can get an external device to trigger samples on different DT audio tracks with different MIDI note messages. Just send MIDI note numbers 0-7 for audio tracks 1-8 respectively. This is described in more detail on page 21 of the DT manual. However, I’m not sure that the SP 1200 can send notes below MIDI note 36.

2 Likes

It depends what you mean by “control”. The Digitakt can send MIDI clock and transport messages, Program Change messages, and note messages. You will need to look at the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG menu, described on pages 55-57 of the manual.

1 Like

If you don’t want MIDI notes sent out from the SP 1200 to trigger the DT’s sounds, disactivate RECEIVE NOTES in the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu of the DT. See page 56 of the manual.

3 Likes

Thanks, Peter! I’m new to the DT and Elektron… will have to spend quite a bit more time soaking up the information in the manual.

1 Like

I’m essentially wanting to trigger the DT pads 1-8, using the SP1200 as if the SP’ was a piano / keyboard. This is what we do, using the Akai S950 rack sampler and key groups. We sample into the S950, then assign the sample a MIDI note number. The SP’ will then trigger that sound, according to the assigned note.

And yes… I wanted to know if it was possible to reassign the DT pads MIDI notes (key) to allow the SP’ to only trigger the corresponding note. The SP1200 notes are fixed and cannot be changed or altered. I want to use the DT as a “one shot” triggered sampler in a sense to utilize its fantastic LFOs and such.

Here is the actual MIDI chart for just the first bank…

SP-1200, BANK A:
pad 1 = C3 60
pad 2 = C3# 61
pad 3 = D3 62
pad 4 = D3# 63
pad 5 = E3 64
pad 6 = F3 65
pad 7 = F3# 66
pad 8 = G3 67

Thanks again and apologies for being a pest.

— DRUMZ

1 Like

Bump.

The issue I’m running into is that inputing notes on the SP sequencer (no matter the note) only triggers audio track 1. I can’t get the SP to ‘see’ any other midi notes besides whatever audio track 1 defaults as on the Digi. I can assign midi track 1 (pad 9) on the Digi to be triggered via a corresponding pad on the SP, however, when I start the SP sequencer it immediately is overridden by audio track 1 being triggered in it’s place. Any thoughts anyone? This should be a really basic thing. We’ve been able to do it for 30 years with gen 1 midi gear – what’s up?

What do you mean by “We’ve been able to do it for 30 years with gen 1 midi gear - what’s up?”?

You’re using your SP1200 (which is over 30 years old) to sequence another piece of gear. Referring to page 56 of the manual to your SP1200, it states that only one midi channel can be assigned to the SP1200 that dictates the channel it sends and receives midi data on. Also, it only has an Omni and a Poly mode. Since you have it set on channel 1, it will only be capable of sending out midi data to channel 1.

Referring to page 57 of the manual to your Digitakt, you can see that each track can be assigned a midi channel that it will receive midi data from. By default, the first track is assigned midi channel 1, the second track is assigned channel 2, and so on for all 8 tracks.

If you were to assign midi channel 1 to any other tracks as well, you would cause the sounds on them to play simultaneously with the sound on track 1 any time it is triggered by the SP1200 regardless if you have the SP1200 set to Omni or Poly mode.

Although it doesn’t make sense to be upset about anything, if you were to be upset, it would only make sense for you to be upset with your SP1200 for not being capable of what you want it to do I guess.

Actually, I missed this functionality of the Digitakt that Peter already went through the trouble of explaining in this thread. Maybe try setting the Digitakt to chromatic mode. Here’s page 21 of the manual to the Digitakt.

1 Like

@drumatic1200
Reviving this thread and wanted to see how the OP got on with the SP/DT combo…

I just picked up an SP not too long ago and the only question I keep asking myself is why I didnt do so earlier. Much has been said about its sound which is better than anything else in my humble studio… but the workflow is easily the must intuitive I’ve ever come across on an electronic instrument.

I dont have a DT but plan on using it with the OT…

How have you ended up using yours with Elektron gear?

If the OP has a MIDI interface, they can easily use software to transpose the note output of the SP1200 down a few octaves to be able to trigger DT’s individual sounds.

it’s funny, i bought a s900 series sampler because I felt the DT was too limited a sampler for my tastes lol. no keygroups, no polyphony etc.

1 Like

@Prints

Thanks for the lengthy response. I apologize if my OP wasn’t clear enough. I’ll skip ahead to where I’m at now upon further experimenting. What I’ve determined is that the Digitakt seems to lack the ability to assign keygroups for each audio track (Btw: This is what I meant when I said “30 years with gen 1 midi gear”. Any serious sampler in the 90’s allowed assignment of keygroups).

What I want is for audio tracks 1-8 to all be on midi channel 1 (an inherent limitation of the SP as you noted) but each track to only respond if a define key range is selected and pressed (eg. Audio Track 1 = C3 60 Audio Track 2 = C3 61 etc). This way when I press the corresponding notes (pads are hard assigned to certain notes throughout the key range) on the SP it will trigger only that one sound. Is their any work arounds anyone can think of that would allow us to do this?

I did resolve when I’d hit run/stop on the SP it would trigger the DT sequencer by going to midi config > sync > clock receive = off/<-

@elektronauts

If you’re listening this would be an easy firmware upgrade I imagine. Would be welcomed by many I imagine.

Not sure if this helps but if I remember correctly, midi notes 0-7 should trigger tracks 1-8 respectively.

1 Like

Please elaborate. Do you mean use a midi track and set it to C 0 note 0? If so, that didn’t seem to do anything. If I can get the internal midi tracks to trigger the audio tracks though, that very well might be a work around as the midi tracks do allow keygroup/note assignment!

I wonder if I send a midi signal out the DT and returned it on the DT if it will trigger the internal audio tracks? Pretty sure I saw someone do this on YouTube involving wavetables… Anyway, if that worked then I might be able to use a splitter so the input received an input signal from the SP out and the DT internally.

What you are thinking about would be midi loop back. The op is trying to trigger the digitakt from an external device.

1 Like

@jefones

So I tried sending DT midi out to DT midi in combined with the information you gave me above – that worked. I’m able to trigger internal audio tracks via pressing the midi track buttons (which allows each audio track to be on the same midi track but the audio track is only being triggered by the selected note on the keyboard for that respective midi track). Next is to try a midi splitter. If that works, I think we’ve found an effective workaround. :slight_smile:

2 Likes