Soma Labs Ether

Not biting.
Do, say, think, believe whatever makes you happy.

Belief doesnā€™t come in to it. Fact based on empirical evidence does. Simply believing something doesnā€™t make it true.

4 Likes

You chose to believe empirical evidence.

1 Like

Could we maybe split the belief discussion into its own topic? Iā€™d prefer to keep this to the Ether. The internet is already littered with this stuff.

12 Likes

Yes, please!

Yeah sorry bout that. At any rate I will be ordering an Ether as soon as I get paid later today. Electromagnetic induced cancer be damned. It sounds amazing.

1 Like

at least now you can hear your balls being fried, and stick some breakbeats over it :sunglasses::+1:t3:

4 Likes

I tried to order it. At the Moment Sold Out. Next batch in october.

Ballbreaks

Iā€™ve had mine for about three weeks, and it definitely changes the way I interact with the environment. Brilliant noises and sounds can be found at ATMs and LCD screens.

The local lightrail train is brilliant with or without a train present. Also, outlets in bigger buildings yields more sound artifacts than those in a home/apartment.

Obtaining beats and rhythms from just my phone has been easy and fun. Gonna load my microsampler when I can sit down and sort it out.

4 Likes

Literally just burst out laughing, that was too funny! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like there is an Ether V2 on the way. From the soma website:

ETHER V2 has two external antenna pins. You can touch any conductive material or surface (including your body) with the pins and use objects or yourself as a big external antenna! Often it makes a totally different sound and I love to check out different metal objects on a street (rails, tubes, metallic doors, parts of buildings etc.) Two pins are connected to different points of the circuit and interact differently with electromagnetic waves. Switching from one to another or using them both, you can change the sound. Far away from a city, we recommend trying to use a piece of wire 1-4 meters long connected to one of the pins for getting some interesting sound.

ETHER V2 has two wheels for sound control and the power switch. The upper wheel adjusts the amount of high-frequency amplification and regeneration. The lower wheel is the volume. By adjusting high-frequency gain you can focus ETHER on different dynamical levels of surround interferences getting the richest and interesting sound.

Hope they will send it out soon :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I got mine Last week. Amazing Tool! Love it!

4 Likes

Nice ! I think I might get one as an Xmas present for myself

1 Like

Has anybody used it live? I would like it if there would be a certain uncertainty what exactly will happen.

What will happen depends on the material you put next to ether. So it would be possible to play it live but i wouldnā€™t do this because some frequencies are really harsh. When you route it directly thru a big sound system it could imho damage the ears of the audience.

So Iā€™ve been mucking about with my new V2 ether this morning, using my mobile phone in close proximity to create a rhythm, then pointing it at various parts of my TV while my kid was watching teletubbies. It then picked up a radio 4 show about fat people. Coincidences are awesome.
This is the result, recorded straight into my zoom h4n and then uploaded straight to SoundCloud, no overdubs or processing at all. Needless to say, itā€™s a bit noisy.

3 Likes

Elektron wallwarts deliver also great rythmic Outputā€¦
I used it here in my Halloween Video for a subtle rythmic background noise.

2 Likes

Just wanted to hop on this thread to say the SOMA Ether is definitely an experience to be had. Really eye opening to have access to this hidden world of sounds and frequencies around us. Additionally Iā€™m much more aware of how inundated with emfs we are on a daily basis. Youā€™d be amazed at how much is put out simply by having something plugged in. All these wireless connections emit signals that pass through us everyday. I had scanned a wireless color changing bulb and couldnā€™t believe the screeching output it had while off. I took the time to basically unplug everything but a couple of lamps in my house and I swear my space feels better. I think I had better sleep as well. Could be psychosomatic I suppose but scanning my house and reducing the amount of electrical noise was interesting to say the least. To be fair I can see where it sort of falls into the gimmick or gadget category, but it really is an experience and for that I think its worth the purchase. It had me walking around my town for an hour with some inquisitive expression glued to my face pointing at everything. You sort of feel like a kid with a magnifying glass again. Very cool.

7 Likes

Try touching some plants and trees with the antennas. When I held it against a tree I could listen to a French radio station (I live in Germany). Even works on dead/cut down treesā€¦ it really lets you see your environment with a new perspective and be more cautious to all the electrical noise you usually donā€™t care about.

4 Likes