Soma Labs Ether

Vlad is at it again!
Dog bless him.

26 Likes

I wish he’d finish the Pulsar-23 first :joy:

7 Likes

Crap, I kinda love this thing

4 Likes

I know it won’t be this simple, but could I not make one of these myself by taking the tuner off a long wave radio?

Genuine question, not trying to diss the product, I like it a lot.

Life’s getting weird… :smile: We’re surrounded by all these electronic radiations in our interconnected futuristic world, and we can go collect bits of the frequencies to then make our crazy electronic future music soundscapes… Some kind of high tech future theme music that’s built from and goes with the state of the modern world…

What year is it again? Where am I? :joy:

9 Likes

This interests me for architectural applications. No idea how exactly but I’d like to record spaces at different times of the day, busy, quiet etc see what comes from it. It’s invisible maps.

1 Like

Fuck yeah

And everyone who has ever suffered from vertigo, migraines, fibromyalgia, or any other indeterminate neurological condition is right now having an epiphany (smirk)…

Cheers!

1 Like

sounds like squarepusher when he’s on form

4 Likes

Sounds awful, I want one.

4 Likes

I’ve ordered. I was going to make the same thing myself, but for the ££ I think Vlad will have done a much much better job.

I’m hoping that pin on it will enable me to connect the Ether to the large multi-turn loop antenna I’m still planning to make though, to capture VLF in the middle of nowhere…

2 Likes

soooo…it’s like the elektrosluch in a sturdier case? that’s great, 'cause my elektrosluch was so brittle that it started falling apart from day one :expressionless: - lovely sound though, especially accelerating metro engines!

2 Likes

Lovely :slight_smile:

I m much into noise music and have seen many variations of this principle in performances. Amazing sounds are to be found with it. I love such technological artifacts.

It also often makes me think that if we would be able to perceive all the electromagnetic energy we re putting in the environment we probably wouldn t be doing it.

Just came up with a guerilla sound art project! Lets build these in boxes with speaker, amp and battery and install them in hard to reach spots in public spaces :smiley:

6 Likes

“However, ETHER can perceive the low-frequency magnetic fields as well. But, honestly, if your goal is to scan objects in close proximity (0-20 centimeters), devices like Elektrosluch will work cleaner and more focused due to its narrow band and lower sensitivity. ETHER was designed to be a part of your walks in the city and may even pick up sounds in a forest or at the seashore (I have such experience). Elektrosluch was designed for using over a table full of gear. Also, ETHER can perceive the electric component of the radiation as well, capturing radiation that is far above the audio range and is much more sensitive. ”

3 Likes

Any info about how many minutes of sound you can record into it?

Edit: Okay so basically I am going to look like a weirdo in public:

To record ETHER, you need to use an audio cable of at least 1m/3ft in length to connect it to a device like a ZOOM recorder. Even with a long cable, ETHER can sound differently than when using headphones. To get the purest sound, headphones are required.

1 Like

0 is the number of minutes you can record into it.

6 Likes

What i wonder about is how the wideband range gets squeezed in to audible range. Would be nice to see some data on that.

I sent an email to order one, but have not had a reply. Have you had one?

I want this, and my OT’s comb filter input wants this as well.

9 Likes

Uh oh! I think you might have been exposed to too many electromagnetic waves :open_mouth:

3 Likes