Solved A4 to Mother 32 CV

my settings:

Ring RED Pitch V/Oct
Note 1 C0
Voltage -0,993

Note 2 C2
Voltage 2 -0,145

no matter what I choose all sounds shit and out of tune.

Black Tip cable:
Gate
V Trig
5.0 V

your settings? thanks for all help!

20 minutes later bump

where did those values come from ???
keep it simple
to start with, get in the right ballpark
try c2 +1v c5 +4v (ie 1v per octave in a mid range)
the moog may not be exactly 1v (possibly a little less)
then shift the octaves (ie notes) to suit your instrumentā€™s range - it may have a broad or narrow sweet spot
if thatā€™s not even remotely right then make sure your synth is in a vanilla state re mods etc
the guide printed in OS update notes explains how to fine tune
donā€™t forget to Not touch the Moog keyboard after you start tuning - make sure you know the last note sent to it, i believe some donā€™t start off playing a c, so you could be auditioning the wrong pitch

Tested with the M-32 we have here in the office.

My results was:

Note1 C5
Voltage1 0.000V
Note2 C6
Voltage2 0.994V

The frequency knob on the M-32 is at the centre mark.

The settings are individual but should be quite close to this.

The M-32 tracks very well within a few cents over 4 octaves.

As avantronica says the keyboard on the M-32 offsets the pitch. Play a C and keep your hands off it :slight_smile:

/Olle

2 Likes

works 100 %.

Big Thanks!

Was unable to tune that myself. Was just trial and error putting voltages in there.

This will be VERY useful for a lot of users!

Thanks Olle

where did those values come from ???
keep it simple
to start with, get in the right ballpark
try c2 +1v c5 +4v (ie 1v per octave in a mid range)
the moog may not be exactly 1v (possibly a little less)
then shift the octaves (ie notes) to suit your instrumentā€™s range - it may have a broad or narrow sweet spot
if thatā€™s not even remotely right then make sure your synth is in a vanilla state re mods etc
the guide printed in OS update notes explains how to fine tune
donā€™t forget to Not touch the Moog keyboard after you start tuning - make sure you know the last note sent to it, i believe some donā€™t start off playing a c, so you could be auditioning the wrong pitch[/quote]
damn, I did not not touch the M32 keyboardā€¦ thanks avantronica

did you do that in OS 1.22 with the broken YES functionality? ā€¦when I change voltages 1 and / or

voltage 2, goddamnit, now it does work, but it did not 1 reboot ago.

and press middle C on the mini keyboard, the pitch does not change
also when i press middle C and change note 1, the pitch does not change.
it does change for note2

1 Like

did you do that in OS 1.22 with the broken YES functionality? ā€¦when I change voltages 1 and / or

voltage 2, goddamnit, now it does work, but it did not 1 reboot ago.

and press middle C on the mini keyboard, the pitch does not change
also when i press middle C and change note 1, the pitch does not change.
it does change for note2[/quote]
Yes, I used the 1.22 by pressing the A4s small keyboard C and then C one octave up instead of using the Yes functionality. Itā€™s fixed in 1.23(not released yet).

Sssshhhhhh!
Donā€™t mention 1.23 , itā€™ll send people mental.

Really? OS1.23 will have corrected all of the CV pitch tracking bugs coming from Track 1-4? Will it come in the next weeks or months? Was just about to downgrade to previous OS, but then iā€™ll wait!

so, what are these bugs, how do you replicate ?

basically its all about this:

yea sure, I already asked you in that thread too, but I cannot replicate, I see no issue when using any track as the source, thatā€™s why I am asking, how do you replicate ? if itā€™s a bug, itā€™ll be repeatable ā€¦ then it can get fixed (or avoided in the meantime) ā€¦

note to self :

do not press the keyboard on the M32 ā€¦ it has to be in the middle c position!

2 Likes

Hi!

I donā€™t fully get this. The M32 firmly states that it is 1v/octave. 0.006v is not a big difference but it may be significant in a musical context (I am unsure).
Is this normal in the modular world? Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

Yes, itā€™s nominally 1v/octave ā€¦ thereā€™s at least one moog where the nominal 1.0 is actually closer to 9.8ish iirc ā€¦ itā€™s not something the rest of the modular world would strive to do, it ought to be very close to 1.0v / octave ā€¦ so thatā€™s why itā€™s useful that the A4 has this option ā€¦ it also accounts for its own variations if it hasnā€™t been calibrated recently (if drifted) ā€¦ so whilst it may report 0.995 it may be 1.0v on a pro voltmeter ā€¦ the important thing is that the A4 at least allows fine tuning ā€¦ many sequencers do not

2 people with the same CV synth and A4 could easily find that they need subtly different values to get correct tuning ā€¦ perfectly normal

2 Likes

Thanks! I wonder if I can trust the m32 built in MIDI converter (or sequencer) based on thisā€¦

Wow. Donā€™t play the m32 after tuning. Slap in the faceā€¦

Everything is in tune but I have some issues when sending a gate signal from the A4 to the M32. Polarity V-TRIG and level 5.0 V.

When sequencing 1/16 notes for a whole bar the m32 sometimes doesnā€™t play some notes. There are no trig condition or notes entered in the m32 sequencer. Double checked that the length of the note is actually 1/16.

Any idea why?

because the default gate length is just too long - itā€™s 100% of a step - if you shorten to 99% or less it will have time to drop voltage to re-gate robustly

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Iā€™ll try it right now.

Trying to understand why thatā€™s the case. Guess the current speed isnā€™t a fixed value then ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ