A4 MK2 CV -> Mother 32: cables connection

Hello there!

I’m new to synths (not to music) and I’m happily diving deeply into it.
I wanna connect the moog mother 32 via cv to the A4 as I wanna be able to control and sequence the M32 through the A4. But I have doubts on how to connect the CV outs of the A4 MK2 to the inputs of the M32. I’ve seen quite a few videos and forum topics on the subject, but there all were about the A4MK1->M32.
The settings I guess should be the same, but when it comes to CV outputs, the A4MK2 unlikely the A4MK1, has 4 mono output (ABCD), while the MK1 has two stereo (AB+CD), which if you ask me it’s actually better in matter of cables availability. But how do I connect the two mono cv output of the A4 MK2? Take randomly one of the two CV out (let’s say A & B) to go to VCO 1V/OCT and the other other one to Gate of the M32?
Do you confirm that the rest of the A4 MK2 settings would be the same a the A4MK1?
Thanks in advance for your precious help!

Yep, then just configure them as necessary using the CV configuration settings on the A4.

Of course you have the issue of the jacks being different sizes, but a couple of these will do the trick.

DRUT 1m 3.5mm MONO Jack to 6.35mm MONO Jack Plug Audio TS Coax Cable Lead, Male to Male Gold Flashed Ends (3.3ft.) https://amzn.eu/d/0PvV1sW

2 Likes

See the SETUP EXAMPLES in chapter 15 of the A4mk2 user manual, which shows exactly what you want.

The settings I guess should be the same, but when it comes to CV outputs, the A4MK2 unlikely the A4MK1, has 4 mono output (ABCD), while the MK1 has two stereo (AB+CD), which if you ask me it’s actually better in matter of cables availability.

Using stereo cables for CV patching is pretty unusual. With the mk2 it’s one cable per patch. Even if you do need cables that are 3.5mm at one end and 6.25mm at the other, at least it’s just mono at both ends.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reaction!
Actually no issue. I was already prepared and got em from Thomann. Those are way easier to find than the Y cable with mini mono jack in the other end :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s amazing! Thank you so much!

Yes! I thought so. And they are also harder to find. Way easier to find those mono cables with one end 3.5 and the other 6.3mm. Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Hi again!
I’ve finally got some time to try these connections out, but no sound comes out of the A4. Wondering what am I missing !!?
CV A and CV B are connected as in the chapter 15 of the manual. Didn’t connect CV C to filter, but that should be the problem.
I don’t think I have to connect the output of the M32 to the external input of the A4? If I_ do that I have a different kind of connection

All the CV configuration seems to be ok.
I’ve just followed these instructions, the only different. thingy is the Note 1 is set to C2. That’s it

Why I can’t get any sound out of it??! Any ideas anyone?

Where’s the Mother 32 audio going? Because if that’s not going into the A4 there will definitely be no sounds coming out of it (only the internal sounds) :slight_smile:

As an example: I have my 0-Coast hooked up to my A4MK2 at the moment with 3 CV outs controlling pitch, gate and multiply. The audio out of the 0-Coast goes to the left external input so it can run through the A4’s fx.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your quick reaction. Very much appreciated!
I’ve tried both. At first I’ve put the output of the M32 to the external input of the A4. But yet no sound was coming out. I get a sound coming out only if I set the oscillator, let’s say of track 2 to L input (that’s where the M32 is coming in). But that’s not what I want as that kind of connection is active in a weird way: audio comes only in record mode with triggers on. I just want the sound to come from the CV track and that the A4 controls the M32.
What am I missing in the CV settings/connections?

You don’t need to use it as an oscillator. And it’s not the CV settings in this case. You’ll need to turn up the volume on the external in on the FX track. (it’s on the OSC1 button on the FX track) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeeeees!! Thank you very much!!! That was it!
But now I’m hearing a continous note only! When I play on the A4 keyboard it stops playing… What am I doing wrong now (again!!) ?! :sweat_smile:

You might need to check how the CV outputs you are using are configured, they need to be either pitch or gate and not some kind of continuous voltage generation. Or maybe your gate voltage is offset and is high all the time.

2 Likes

Yess!! you are fantastic! the problem was the CV gate being set at S-trig. Solved now! thanks a lot! :smiley:

2 Likes

Now though I have the pitch problem.
I’ve tried to tune it, but only the octaves of the middle C are tuned. The rest is totally off! and if I change octaves, it not only off, but not a C anymore…, What’s the problem now?
I have tried different tuning options in the cv config: C2 or C3 note 1 and tuned it and note 2 was either C5 or C6 and tuned that as well. I’ve read already the tips on the same topic on the forum and YES! once I tune I DO NOT touch the M32 keyboard anymore and YES, I did place the frequency knob either in the center or tuned the M32 first, but didn’t work out…
What else should I do or check?

I think this might be a Mother 32 problem. I seem to remember that it tracks not too well (or at least not over the full range) when externally pitched with CV. There’s a solution for it (I think a precision adder or something) but more modular inclined people might have a better answer to that.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind reply @Oxenholme

I guess there are quite a few modular inclined fellas out there among the Elektronauts… How about @Fin25 @PofM… Anyone?

You’re a lucky one if you’re in tune right off the bat.

There’s a bunch of videos about calibrating the tuning on YouTube.

Check this one in the “tuning” section, but remember that Hz/v applied to korg, but for your Moog, you want V/Oct.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response @Fin25! I actually did follow the video from “late night tips” and I did try both, the V/Oct option and the Hz/V as well. Clearly the latter one was the worst, but neither of them worked so far. I’ll check out the other videos you’ve suggested and see if I get some enlightening tips out of them.
Fingers crossed! :smiley:

1 Like

@nereo Check this thread for some more insight on more A4 + Mother 32 issues with CV.

3 Likes

Yeeeees! Thank you all! You’re the best wonderful people!
I’ve actually reloaded the project, didn’t have to set the note length shorter actually and it works perfectly! Thank you sooooo much guys :star_struck:

3 Likes