Ableton Live -> Analog Four -> Moog Mother 32

I am new to this modular thing and might be asking stupid questions. I just got Mother 32. I want to run it through Analog Four to get Analog Four’s CV outputs for modulation. Analog Four is connected to computer with USB. Is it possible to send midi data via USB to Analog Four and Analog Four to send it via midi out or midi through to Mother 32? Is it possible for this midi data to trigger envelopes on CV channel? Or do I have to sacrifice two CVs for note and gate?

I don’t use A4 CV (yet) but there are many many threads on how to configure Analog CV to control external gear.
I think that would be a good thing to do a little search on the subject…

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=cv%20control

Now I wonder if you can use CV control directly through overbridge

1 Like

I know how to how to send V/Oct notes and gates with CV outputs. My question was if I send midi data to channel 6 (default channel for CV track) via USB does it go through Analog Four to midi output and to Mother 32. If it does do notes trigger CV tracks envelopes? I assume it could work like this but I like to be sure before I start to buy all kind of stuff based on this assumption. CV track has two envelopes and envelopes.

I can’t test this myself because I don’t have cables.

I’m pretty certain that midi sent to CV channel doesn’t go to A4 midi out. Din midi would go to through output, though…k

So you don’t want to sequence Mother with midi directly?

IConnectimidi 4+ has solved all my midi needs!

1 Like

No need to test - there’s no pass through from USB MIDI to DIN MIDI - no connections

If you want to connect your computer to Moog then it will have to be controlling CV track directly or by passing through the MIDI DIN Thru and supplementing this with CV e.g. driven by internal sequencer - I’m not really using a computer to comment about this in practice, but I think that’s how it will sorta flow

USB can drive the T6 to send CV but not MIDI
DIN can drive T6 to send CV and Thru will pass MIDI

1 Like

So I probably have to send same midi data to Mother and A4. I use USB with A4 because I use Overbridge.

if all you want to do for controlling mother32 is for v/oct, then its more efficient to send pitch via midi. you could probably connect midi thru from A4 to midi in on mother32, then configure the correct midi channel to send pitch on and do it that way. i am guessing thats your best bet. obviously you would be sending the midi data originally from computer over USB to A4.

1 Like

Besides freeing up those precious CV outputs to do something else.

1 Like

yes. 4 envelopes or lfo’s or any combo thereof!!! or parameter locked cv values… lots of possibilities

Oh sorry dear I do believe I misread your post…

Please let us know if @docsample’s suggestion is indeed your solution :slight_smile:

(It’s my intention to try to control my Slim Phatty with A4 CV at some point…)

If I have understood correctly I should send channel 6 via midi cable and I can use USB as before as long as I don’t send anything on channel 6. I will report how it works after I get the cables. It was raining after work today so get them today.

It worked. AF is connected to computer with Midi and USB cables. Midi through goes to Mother 32. I use channel 6 with midi cable. Notes trigger envelopes. I can use other channels via USB and Overbridge works. I can automate CV channel envelopes with Overbridge. Just like I wanted :slight_smile: