CV out to Moog Mother 32 (issue?)

Hi Elektronauts,

I’m by no means a CV or modular expert but trying to understand the signal flow and how the machines talk to each other. Kept everything very simple as you can see in the video.

CV out A is sending a pitch v/oct and is connected to the mothers VCO 1v/OCT. Tuned C3 and C6 accordingly.

CV out B is sending a gate to the gate input on the mother. Polarity V-TRIG and level 5.0 V.

In the video you can see two things going on.

1. the octave of the notes change depending on what note I play (without changing the octave on any of the machines). Is this expected behaviour? And why so then? I fail to understand why this happens since the notes entered are all F3.

2. sometimes the mother is not playing a note from the elektron sequencer. There are no trig conditions applied and all notes are 1/16 long. As you can hear it’s ‘random’ and as far as I know no notes are overlapping. What’s going on with the voltage signal here? I found a read on another thread (AF CV/Gate sequencing problem - #18 by weepwow) about this but that doesn’t solve the issue.

Video: IMG_0961.mov - Google Drive

I very recently got a mother 32 and I’m no expert at it yet.

I used the AK to sequence the mother 32 and it worked. I did not look at your video as I’m on smartphone right now. I can look at it more in details tonight, but maybe this helps already:
Did you make sure that there is nothing recorded in the sequencer of the mother 32 ? I mean no pitch modulation etc.

Thanks Slim, appreciated. I did a complete reset (SHIFT + RESET / ACCENT + PATTERN) so nothing should be programmed in the sequencer.

Check out this thread here:

I have both and the above thread details the correct voltage to have it track properly. Settings worked for myself and others. Hopefully it works for you as well.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well my tuning is completely off according to those settings but it sounds tuned.

Play a C and keep your hands off it :joy:. Wow, you can’t imagine the headache I had over this yesterday evening. It’s a feature then.

Any idea what might cause the missing notes in the sequencer?

Change CV B type to ‘Gate’. This way the note should play for as long as the note is held. Trig just sends a single trigger pulse per trig. Commonly used for advancing a sequencer step by step or for providing a clock pulse. It sends a fixed length pulse instead of a gate length signal.

Give that a shot and see if it addresses your sequencer issues. :slight_smile:

Thanks but I think I already got that set up @d4ydream

I shortened the notes from 1/16 to .938 and everything works like a charm now :slight_smile:

For all you future reader:

1. tune your m32. Then don’t touch the notes on the synth anymore! It will offset the pitch.
  2. give the voltage enough time to reduce to register a new note
1 Like