So, I want a dedicated bass synth

I might sell my Sirin. Love it to death but thinking of upgrading to sub37 and a pro3

2 Likes

No, I love it too much.

1 Like

The Korg MS-20 sounds awesome in this. This is a fun video as well.

6 Likes

Old topic, but I assume there are still people out there looking for dedicated bass synths.

I tried pretty much everything mentioned in this thread and ended up with the Bass Station II. Price/feature ratio is insane. Works well with (drive) pedals. Lots of good presets.

To be fair, I think it really benefits from running through some tubes, but that’s true for a lot of synths.

2 Likes

For me, the Minitaur beats all my other synths for plucky (trancy) bass sounds. Mainly because of its snappy envelopes, but also because it keeps sounding tight when playing very low notes. It also had a note sync feature which is great

3 Likes

The BS2 is incredibly cool, but I am so frustrated that the filter cutoff response is smoothed when used by midi. Otherwise I might use it almost exclusively.

2 Likes

the crave has been nice as my dedicated bass synth. the circuit mono station (bs2 with circuit pads/sequencer+ sound locks) was good but the crave is much more satisfying

I’ve sold/traded a lot of gear over the last few years and have never once considered selling my Minitaur. It’s really all the bass I need, even despite the limited osc shapes there’s enough flexibility there especially for playing live.

As for button combos, I printed some labels for the two most common shift features I use while performing: glide+osc2 for hardsync on/off, and glide+VCO/LFO for ‘lfo to osc 2 only’. I dont save presets because patch design on it is so quick, I can go from growly sustained sub-bass, to a hardsync trance pluck, to passably good acid, back to a syncopated 16th note bassline, in a matter of seconds. And if i need a midrange detuned saw lead to noodle on live, it does that too…

I just wish the LFO went a little further into audio rates, because i like pushing it hard on filter/osc FM for really wild “bass transforms into a psychedelic lead” breakdowns:)

9 Likes

Bass synth… many options there.

Moog styled: Roland SE02 or if the budget is there Analogue Solutions Leipzig. Arturia Minibrute 2/s might be an option too. It sits inbetween Moog and Roland and can do very well deep, tight and clean basses, when you keep the Osc waveform mix levels around 50%.
If you want some secret tip: Waldorf Pulse 2 can produce a really tight and clean bass that imho is perfect for deep house.
And another secret tip: Waldorf rocket.

Aaaand another secret tip: Clavia Nord Lead A1r… clean, tight bottom that sits well in a mix.

1 Like

Surprised no one has mentioned the Norand Mono yet here. To me it is the ultimate small desktop synth, especially well suited for bass duties. Loopop’s video is worth watching

7 Likes

Yes it has been mentioned. Here. So, I want a dedicated bass synth - #30 by Unilino

My bad, somehow missed that one as I went through the thread, but yeah, +1 to the Mono then :slight_smile:

Same quest for me. Tempted by a Norand Mono since my holy grail, the Avalon Bassline seems now unobtainium. I have the Toraiz AS1 which is great. But strangely, the bass sound I prefer over any HW or SW synth I own always come from my Digitone, which is not a ‘dedicated bass synth’.

3 Likes

Studio Electronics ATC-1 / ATC-X / SE1 / SE-1x are all worth checking out. Lot’s of hip-hop guys use them, but don’t let that put you off.

5 Likes

That’s why I mentioned the Roland SE-02. That’s basically a Studio Electronics SE1x in small form factor.

3 Likes

I’ve got one and have troubles considering it as just a bass synth. It’s sooooo much more. The LFO’s and envelopes per knob make it such a sound design beast. And the sequencer packs a whole lot of fun and unusual features.

I don’t know how it compares to other bass synths but I happen to rather use it as a drum machine.

2 Likes

My two suggestions would be Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 and the Erebus Dreadbox Mk3.

I had the AS-1 for a few years and played my “compact backpack” gigs with it alongside OT.

I decided to part with it to get the Erebus MK3 and love them both equally for different reasons. I am currently looking to purchase another AS-1. They both have a really serious beef and heft to the sound (both are 3 voice VCO).

I prefer the hands on functionality of the Erebus for wild performance fun, but the recallability of stored parches on the AS-1 is so handy. The FX on the AS-1 are great but only one insert effect at a time. AS-1 is less expensive, but there’s the semi modular aspect of the erebus and the knob per function (whereas AS-1 has very few on panel controls).

Either one is a winner winner chicken dinner :smiley:

Hi guys,

What will you choose between SE1x (2008) and Peak ?

I already have a Grandmother but even if I love it I miss midi (the only no midi synth I kept over the years is the DFAM). So I will sell it to fund another synth.
I want to try the Peak since it’s out. I know it’ll bring me so much more than bass.
In the other hand, SE1x is a classic for bass/lead.

Thanks for your advice :wink:

PS : I also have AS-1 and A4mk1

Do you have any other polys?

Your options seem to be

1. As1 and A4 are fine mono synths for bass but the SE1x is maybe even more amazing for bass.

2. As1 and A4 are fine mono synths but A4 is lacking in the area of polyphony, so the Peak will add nice bass ánd polyphony.

2 Likes

I also have a DN, FM thus.

As-1 is gonna leave too.