So, I want a dedicated bass synth

…most solid, stable, to the point defined and truu analog lowest octave i’ve ever had…
…and the only synth i regret selling…moogs minitaur…

I had the chance to hear it Live on big PA’s (without any Sound Engineer at the Console) several times and I can say that it’s absolutely fabulous. That’s why I got a Sirin when they came out.

1 Like

Here you go…

Cheap n Fat no need to spend silly money on a bass synth… just get 1 or 2 of these at the price :+1:

One knob per function

MAM MB33

3 Likes

These seem never available in the states.

My 2 cents: if you’re willing to spend a bit more, i agree with @esq on going with a Boomstar(5089 or SEM). Knob per function, knobs galore! so many modulation possibilities without any hidden functions. and nothing on earth competes with its bass.

If you’d rather not pay as much i’d go with a Mono Lancet. Creamy bass for days, Moogish and more.

2 Likes

I second that.
Combined with an Erica Syntha Acid Box filter for even more deep waves massaging one’s face.

1 Like

I love how you specify that you only don’t do acid sound wise :joy:

1 Like

I dream of a dedicated bass synth. Mine goofs off constantly, takes a laconic attitude towards MIDI messages, and is always trying to flirt with the Digitakt.

2 Likes

Sounds like a total DB!

1 Like

Rolan SE-02

2 Likes

…i got one of those in heavy use…

and even if it’s a clone of the real thing…it sounds even better than the real thing…
and is truu analog as analog could only be…

but…
it’s made for twiddeling and tweaking in first place…
and no, does not deliver that super solid, stable as a rock lowest octave quality as the minitaur i mentionend…

THE moog simplicity bass is THE one trick pony for all mix basement…
while the bavarian 303 clone is shining, talking, biting and gnarling beastlike from low mid range all the way up to hi mids very prominent in mixes…
so, no DEDICATED bass synth for real…

but it’s a cheap catch…for under 150bux, this truu analog box is pure sonic madness…
and running the same midi notes one octave lower, spending pure sub to it by just triggering a naked digital sine wave along with THAT might do ALL the trick…

I know they took the Minitaur and extended the upper octave range for the Sirin design, but how do the low octaves compare?

I once watched a video where someone compared both units and I think they’re identical beside a slight difference with the Square wave. I found it :

Bur for me, they’re the same.

2 Likes

Interesting! Thank you for that.

1 Like

Are you interested in buying one?

Eventually, currently I am focusing on looking into a dedicated non-PC recorder like a blackbox or bluebox :slightly_smiling_face:

I probably have too many instruments right at this moment so it’s not first purchase.

1 Like

I should probably give you fine people some feedback. I went for the Vermona Mono Lancet, and so far it seems it was a good choice. Nice round smooth bass tones. I mostly use VCO2 as the main tone, and use VCO1 as sub oscillator (square wave one octave down) mixed to taste depending on the track.

If there is one slight drawback it would be the lack of a separate amp envelope. It is either shared with the filter, abrupt on/off, or drone mode. I knew this before I purchased, and I’ll get by. I do sometimes like a little bit of amp release on some bass tones, and I think Moog implemented a great solution for this with the single envelope on the Grandmother and the ability to have the amp follow the release-setting while ignoring the sustain-setting.

Thanks for the input folks! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

+1 for the Roland SH-01A (sounds quite good and has -solid- MIDI support :-)).

3 Likes

+1 for the monologue
very fun an inspiring synth

Are you selling one?:slight_smile: