Should I just say f*** it, minimize my setup and move on to Ableton 11 + Push 2?

That’s the time to make an album. :slight_smile:

It’s all just tools in the end. The fact that you’re blocked doesn’t get solved by changing tools, unfortunately. It’s a normal journey, at some point you become proficient to a certain level, and then you flatline. The thing is now to keep soldiering on, until you start growing again. Try to recreate tracks/sounds/feelings that you really feel and aspire to achieve, this will give you the best learning experience.

I know from experience, I’ve been fooling around with gear and trying to become better by changing stuff, selling, buying etc. And then I got some amazing demo’s mailed for our (then) label, and when asking the producers behind it, they were using the most limited and crappy stuff ever, but they just became very capable with it, and created their own sound.

So, it’s more a question of soldiering on with what you already have, and become even better with it.

2 Likes

…the longer ur into all that sonic game, the more u’ll find urself thinking otb and than itb again…

it’s a shame, ur a4 stays cold…but the fun and the advantages of all otb approaches can’t change the facts of itb arguments…no matter how much otb u are,end of the day, if u wanna challenge the whole sonic game for real, itb IS part of that sonic equasion…no way around it…

atleast one daw must be part of ur skillset…
and the more future bullet proofed that daw is, the better…
u can find tutorials for all of them…but no tutorial will replace the musclememory factor of fooling around and just work with it…

so, ableton IS the actual nr.1 in tomorrows daws…
but last money i invested into ableton was that suite 8…
soon never toched it again for many otb plans…
last year i bought into bitwig studio…same same but different…ableton mindset and know how all in there…individual approach even more tomorrow…

so my take on this is…u got bitwig studio already?..no need for another ableton try anymore…

Have you thought about the Akai Force?

1 Like

Sounds like you need a fresh challenge or a break. Gear isn’t going to solve this.

It will for a few hours, but then you’ll be back to where you started.

2 Likes

Ahh see now you have got me thinking about this!

I was thinking instead of an Analogue Four, I could just buy some lovely MIDI Controllers and do everything in the box. If napped well, it would be similar to using hardware but without the limitations. Hmmm.

I don’t want the Push. Thinking of the Faderfox boxes.

Maybe I need to listen to my own advice.

Consider this: if you don’t know what side chaining even is, you can’t do it, and you won’t. That alone today will make you sound different. Side chaining is fine, but never needed for music at all, any more than delays reverb or synths are.

2 Likes

Sell everything, use just Ableton, you dont need a Push and later buy a specific piece of hw if you miss it/need it much.

4 Likes

consider this: I don’t know why you directed that at me… :thinking:

2 Likes

Probably was using their smartphone and replied to wrong user. I have sausages for fingers. I know the struggle.

3 Likes

I agree with @sabana, it sounds like it’s where you need to be right now.

I’ve been meaning to sell my Push 2 for quite some time. Not because I don’t like it (it’s an awesome piece of gear), it’s just not where I’m at with stuff. I’ve always been great at playing keyboards and Push became my lazy way not to. Since I started playing keys again I realized I need to part with it for now.

I’m probably going to suck at getting around to selling it but if you’re looking, hit me up and I’ll give you a good deal plus a custom wooden stand I made. It’s had some use but it’s in good shape and fully functional.

I’m in the U.S. FYI but I’m flexible.

5 Likes

Well, if you have bitwig and AK, Imho, you have it all :slight_smile:

I suggest all sounds from Ak to bitwig sampler and drum machine, the world of midi cc is waiting for your creativity :slight_smile:

Not only that, you can route signal out from the polygrid to the Ak line in, and from there it’s a party!

ADD: If you have an audio interface with DC-coupled out, you can P locking things in Bitwig.
and check this you want:

2 Likes

Nice work on the stand, it looks gorgeous! My attempt would look like one of those nailed it pictures :smile:

1 Like

FWIW, I was on Ableton from version 8, continued to use Cubase for a while for mixing, but needed something for live sets, carried on with Live until a year into having 10, as it didn’t support MPE and poly AT, and went to Bitwig for a while. I enjoyed Bitwig and really got on with it, but when the Live 11 beta was announced, I jumped in to it, and have stuck with it since. It does feel good to be back with Live.

I also have the push 2, used it a lot for live sets, but not that much in the studio, but when I got the push4bitwig (now called driven by Moss) script, I started using it much more in the studio too, with Bitwig. Since going back to Live, I’ve kept using it in the studio, and now find it more useful than ever, especially with all VSTs mapped correctly.

Try the Push 2, and the Driven by Moss script with Bitwig, and see if that scratches the itch, if not, give the Live 11 demo a try and see if that hits the spot before upgrading.

1 Like

That is a statement i wouldn’t dare to make :wink:

3 Likes

Yer pots and pans and a washing machine also works well.

1 Like

for sure :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4kieFpukeE

5 Likes

I hit the wrong button nm

If you take the mode dial out of an old washing machine, you’ll notice it looks just like the drum from a music box. It’s basically a hardware sequencer.

1 Like

thank you for posting this! fantastic!