Should I just say f*** it, minimize my setup and move on to Ableton 11 + Push 2?

Depends, what have you got to sale and how much do you want for it?

1 Like

You need an up to date computer as well because Ableton is heavy on the CPU. Just so you know. If you have that, go for it!

My iMac is not new but it’s specs are still quite high and it handles Bitwig studio and studio one without any problems So it shouldn’t have any problems with Ableton

2 Likes

so… if you’re not purely software, you’re just f*cking around and never actually write anything?

This is the way.

2 Likes

I’ve had 3 push 2s. Each time I find it’s just easier to use the mouse. You may be different but I’ve heard of plenty of users who are like me.

Another piece of advice I’d offer is stop with the tutorials and YouTube videos. There is a limitless supply of tutorials, courses, lessons. These are just another distraction from making music. Make music with what you have! If you can’t make music with what you have now then you won’t be able to make music with the next setup either. Only after making a lot of tracks with your current gear will you be able to really know what you need to change to make your sound or workflow better for you. I’m sorry as this may not be what you want to hear. You are right when you say this is a first world problem - it is. And getting new stuff is the first world solution that rarely works. Have you got some music I could listen to?

9 Likes

Yes and no. I think to learn the basics it is great, like e.g. to understand what sidechaining is about. But at a certain point, when you understood the techniques, then stop watching and start doing.

Also set yourself (small) goals, e.g. in three months I want to have a couple of tracks recorded to put out an EP. That will keep you motivated.

1 Like

I agree, but he’s got all that equipment and a couple of DAWS. I assumed he knew the basics.

I have that too, but still I haven’t fully understood what a compressor can do, and how to handle them when and how, and what’s the deal about slight distortion. There is always something new to learn along the keep doing things.

I am sure even Hans Zimmer is still learning.

I think the point is “learn for a while, then DO” instead of just focusing on watching other people do stuff and mimicking them.

but yes, we’re all always learning forever (hopefully).

1 Like

I’ve read many of the same things about Push 2 and other integrated controllers but of course it isn’t just about what’s “easy” but about tactility and fun. I would like to be able to jam with my own material, improvise with complex FX setups and have a fun step-sequencing workflow without using the mouse. Most MIDI controllers require so much setup and mapping etc that it pretty much takes the fun right out of it which is why these dedicated controllers have the edge for the purpose of hands-on fun.

I agree with what you’ve said about the YouTube videos. It’s easy to go down a rabbit hole of watching endless videos without learning much and also constantly comparing yourself to “better” producers. That said, if you find certain channels/instructors that you like then it can be rewarding. I love Polarity’s Bitwig videos and his streams where he just makes tracks. No editing or other BS, just realtime insight into the working process and some great sound design and arragement tricks etc.

You’ve certainly got to be selective on YouTube though, there is a lot of awful self-promoting and clickbait on there!

2 Likes

I dont know anything about how Bitwig handles the processor, but I have used Studio One about 3 years before my switch to Ableton and the differense between those DAWs when it comes to how demanding it is on the CPU is day and night differense. My last project I did in studio one in december ended on a total of 22% CPU usage. I used hardware synths mostly but mixed the track in the same project with a lot of effect plugins. With Ableton just one instance of Wavetable can get my CPU % to 40-60%. I don’t want to be negative about Ableton or anything. I love this DAW, but it has this drawback.

One tip is to try Ableton for free for 90 days. Then you will see how everything is working without paying for the first 90 days.

1 Like

Have you analysed the difference between Bitwig and Ableton? IIRC the Bitwig team was working for Abelton and then decided to try to make a better product. IMO both share quite some workflow concepts. With Bitwig and Studio One you should have high quality production software already.

If Push is for you, only you can say … but I wouldn’t expect that Push is giving you new ideas or opens new worlds. I use Push from the beginning and it’s nice to have it, but it hasn’t set me free from using the mouse, when creating new clips. At least, if a clip has to be named, mouse and keyboard have to be used. It’s great to perform and jam on the clips. Having it as a keyboard with scales is great for creating harmonic and melodic content, or use it as a MPC like drum set.

If you would like to change horses to get new ideas, I suggest to check out Renoise. This is a tracker, sample based, but also supporting third party plug-ins and many FX. Vers. 3.x is close to other DAWs, but the workflow is very different. IMO it’s a great tool for creating techno, has an interface, which allows quick and effective writing, it’s very affordable, and not asking for high performance machines.

2 Likes

Instead of Push2, Novation Launchpad might be an alternative that also works with Bitwig.

3 Likes

I should have clarified because that isn’t my point, I probably phrased that poorly. I hear a lot of what looks like noodling in hardware videos rather than fully developed songs (imo). And there isn’t anything wrong with that. There are clearly plenty of more finished/polished/what ever you want to call them songs made primarily or entirely on hardware. But I see a lot of of what I’d call noodling too. “A lot” was a probably the most inaccurate part of the phrasing there.

What I meant to communicate was that whatever your doing with your hardware (or software)…who cares if you enjoy it.

well yeah, of course.

have you considered that most people don’t make videos of every second of their recording process?

2 Likes

do it mate push 2 is sick, I’ve had it since it came out, as others said it’s not great for arrangement mode, but the slicing workflow is great

1 Like

From a production standpoint Ableton Live and Push2 is a minimal and flexible investment… You can achieve very much only with these two products…
… but from time to time its nice to have some hardware, I just bought an A4 and its very nice to have ^^

1 Like

So, up-thread I recommended pulling the trigger on gear. It’s a strategy which can work. I’ve done it and it was good. But I thought I’d re-read your original post. The first couple of sentences stood out.

You say quite directly that you think the creativity wall is due to “working on stuff in your own bubble”. Buying gear wont change that. You’ll just be swapping the furniture in your bubble for different items.

Consider getting out of the bubble.

Here’s some ways you might do that:

• create a live set version of your set-up and existing tracks, stream a live performance
  • send your current tracks to DJs or labels hoping to get picked up
  • find a local scene and join in: hang out with other producers and DJs, for bands/duos/gangs/labels
  • start your own label to release your own existing music
  • find a production partner and develop a shared practice
  • join or assemble a “mastermind” group: regular, time-boxes meetings with like-minded but not “involved” people to discuss successes and failures in a sharing, low-judgement way

(Still buy new gear. It’s fun!)

5 Likes

I say do it because it’s pretty much exactly what I did. I’ll be honest, it isn’t the silver bullet that cures all woes but in my case, I find it much more pleasing looking at Ableton + Push than a great giant mess of cables and power supplies!

I’m a big fan of Push. I do think it has the ability to quickly take you down new paths though I wish Ableton would support NKS to have Komplete browsable natively.

Having all of these options can get in the way some times but that’s on me to get more organised and focussed. I still dont use favourites, templates or custom racks (for example) which is crazy considering how much I use Ableton! Still building racks up from the grounds up each set!