SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

never listened to this album, really enjoying this track (and omg those GLASSES :nerd_face:)

1 Like

Huge Art Pepper fan. The life that dude lived. Heroin addict, in jail all the time. Not that’s anything admirable. But homeboy was wasted out of his mind in some dirty/smokey apartment half the time and just whips out his sax and plays the craziest shit.

Love Thelonius Monk. Have watched this performance on YT a hundred times:

3 Likes

Monk is so legendary. His influence is everywhere. Was just tonight listening to this album that is all Monk tunes. Paul Motian, Joe Lovano, Bill Frisell, Geri Allen, and Dewey Redman. Powerhouse.

1 Like

Great compilation!

I thought about this topic a lot the other night as I attended my first synth club meeting. It was kind of awkward, but only due to my anxiety and I didn’t bring a synth to plug in… I was too nervous, so I figured I’d watch first.

As I sat there being half audience member and half student I watched lots of improvisation, even some call and response, all kinds of sounds trying to melt together… sometimes working out, sometimes not so much… but it was the freedom of expression… at that moment it was clear that this was a type of jazz, just being played with non-traditional instruments in the jazz world. People adding elements here and there. It was a very industrial yet organic experience… like flower growing out of asphalt. Anyway, I kept thinking of this thread.

6 Likes

Double-posting this here for archival purposes, and to find out if anyone knows anything about this band? There isn’t much information about them on the web.

We’re using this for our new challenge that is open to anyone who wants to zone out and twist knobs with us :man_cook:

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

The version on Flood is in my permanent spankbank.

1 Like

I like (understatement) jazz because it encourages dismantling well-known structures and rebuilding them however you damn well please (one of many, many reasons).

I think modular could do well taking a lot of notes from jazz. People would have to learn their scales, however. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Frippe Nordström vinylbox comp of holy grails of privatepressed megarare freejazz compiled by Mats Gustafsson. Pioneer of total freedom by saxophone.

1 Like

Yeah, I do. One of my best friends during school played trumpet as his main instrument, but he could also play the piano. He played in a trio with his mom and dad, they had quite frequent gigs at bars/clubs, hotels etc. He later went to NYC, but lost contact with him then.

We went every wednesday to the jam session at a very popular jazz club in our city for a few years, free entry for musicians.
At that time I was listening to lots of Psytrance, Goa and other psychedelic stuff, but I just loved vibing to those jams. It was quite psychedelic actually^^

1 Like
7 Likes
1 Like

I love jazz

3 Likes

This is just what I was looking for tonight.

1 Like

Tord Gustavsen trio last night. Some of the most beautiful music I’ve seen live in years.

1 Like

I was there too!

4 Likes

Beauty mate! Enjoy the concert?

Very much so! Saw Bill Frisell the night before. It’s been a good weekend!

2 Likes