Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 06 | Flying Island - Eddie

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Grab a cup of cocoa, turn on the fire, and prepare yourselves to be taken on a beautiful journey!

For this week’s sample track, I pulled out a rare album that I initially intended to keep comfortably tucked away to myself, but after learning so much from this forum, one feels obligated to return a gem, while bringing attention to an almost unknown group called, Flying Island.

The track in focus is titled “Eddie,” and comes from the self titled album “Flying Island,” which was released in 1975 on the short-lived, early advocate of fusion jazz, Vanguard label.

While trying to find out more about this band, I came across their bandcamp page with 2 live versions of this song being played in two legendary, now defunct Jazz Clubs, along with another live performance: https://flyingisland.bandcamp.com/.

Album Photos:

(note: pictures taken from google search)

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even Ghislaine Maxwell’s private network.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , December 18, 2022

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, December 18, 2022, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating.

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

8 Likes

NICE

Will make a start on this tomorrow :ok_hand:

1 Like

Anyone started working on this yet?? I’m in the middle of a busy week so I think I’m going to work on it mostly this Saturday - there’s a lot of gold in this track

1 Like

Joe Farrell on soprano sax! Great find!

1 Like

@natehorn and @protrusion

Not entirely sure what caused this the other day, but my comment and hearts and a message I sent were erased automatically? Posting this for clarity (hoarding chrome tabs payed off).

1 Like

I made a quick start on this but then got super busy as well. Hopefully I will find a little time to get something going

2 Likes

Welcome back, man! :beers:

2 Likes

Weird! I totally saw your message! Thanks for thinking of it. I saw they were doing some maintenance earlier… I wonder if that was related.

1 Like

Hey, thanks @protrusion, was talking with @natehorn earlier and he suggested the same thing, so you both are likely right about site maintenance being the cause. I wanted to clear that up though, so it didn’t seem weird on my part, for any reason. :beers:

3 Likes

The first part came together real smooth, then it got away from me.

7 Likes

That was smoove bruv sounds like a villainous hip hop track is afoot :muscle:

1 Like

I like putting in something, even if its just a sketch. Keep it going, Im all aboard!

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s what you were going for, but im glad it got away if you mean that slightly stuttery sound with the little gap- I rather like that sound

1 Like

I appreciate that.

Sampling is really hard! The first part went together so well, and then I got overwhelmed with all the chops. It seems like I always reach a certain point where I can’t hear the song anymore. Like it doesn’t sound like music because Im listening to it too much. Like how if you say a word over and over it will lose its meaning and just sound like noise.

It happens every time. I even had another song before this one, but I went too granular with the edits.

But I love it just the same.

Plus, I did the Echoboy trick of making the echo time and feedback zero and choosing one of the filters to get the phaser like sound.

1 Like

It’s not much, but here’s a song inspired by my orange cat and a funny clip I came across the other day from an old Charlie Chaplin movie. The clip itself is some og comedy.

7 Likes

This sounds like fun, and what a great track :slightly_smiling_face:, I might have a go myself as I’m off work now for a while and have a lot of spare time

4 Likes

Thanks!
:beers:
And, if you do find the time, I’d love to hear your approach!

1 Like

This is a quick little thing I did on my Digitakt

12 Likes

Nice one, I always enjoy you music.
Missed you on the last hh round

1 Like

Thanks! And yeah, I couldn’t get it together.

1 Like