SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

That sounds like a fun time :beers:

Late to the party but I cut my teeth playing jazz guitar. Absolutely love it.
The one album that always gives me my fix is Wes Montgomery: Smokin’ at the half note.
Flipping gold!

2 Likes

love some of it! love Miles Davis Bitches Brew and earlier stuff, also a big fan of Mark Guiliana’s jazz stuff, and a lot of the Norwegian stuff like Møster, Molvær, and that whole scene.

2 Likes

No joke this album has been hanging on my wall for a little over a year for the cover art alone!

I love the track ‘I See the Light’ on the same album. Billy Paul uses a singing style that’s more commonly used among Middle Eastern/ Indian women, and it’s a treat! :beers:

1 Like

yeah I never get tired of this album :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

George Duke and Chick Corea have some dope synth work as well

1 Like

Sounds like a great way to get your uncle to buy you more records.

1 Like

yazz moderne? love me some jameszoo

Got a kick of Niels Broos, James’ keyboard player for a bit there, too…

1 Like

Hahaha I still desire to sleep well! :rofl:

Check this funky one out. This track is off of the same album that we used for our round 2 record challenge!

3 Likes

Wow nice find! That first vid that you linked that starts like 3/4 into the session just took off into space!

Their synths and “normal” instruments blend so beautifully together :beers:

edit:
That second vid is nuts! The drummer really knows his kit when he starts scratching his sticks against the cymbal :eyes:

1 Like

Was enjoying this record yesterday - whole album is great - some real chill lushness.

Steel drum and jazz are a good combination.

Portico Quartet | Isla | Line

2 Likes

Beautiful piece! Sounds like a hang drum, rather than a steel drum, to me:

Hang played with mallets!

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure on the specific flavour thanks for the sleuthin’ :male_detective:

1 Like

I hated Jazz until I took the time to appreciate its different sub genres… and a “Listening to Jazz” class at the University of Houston while earning a bs in psychology at 45 certainly did help.

I thought it would be an easy class… no.

It was taught by a young PhD that was tired of being made fun of by family members for being a dr in music.

I listened to an amazing amount of Jazz at an age where I had already heard so much music that it was easier to see the influence that Jazz had on all types of music.

I have bad news for any of us that don’t like Jazz… you’ve probably made some and you don’t even know it ha ha

2 Likes

Some 1970s jazz-funk goodness here. Rare Herbie Hancock performance. Crazy synth/keyboard rig.

5 Likes

Jazz lacks hooks and reverb.

3 Likes

This entire album is fantastic but this track in particular is incredible. Such a solid contemporary jazz album.

6 Likes

Hilarious comment, but…

Jazz has loads of hooks.

And loads of reverb.

5 Likes

Alright, but what about large shimmering reverb?!

1 Like