Sequential Pro 3

Yeah, you’re right. P12 just keeps giving and as Sequentials go, this one stands out as the most abstract of the lot. Which is what I like about it. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

3 Likes

Oh, no way, they don’t come close as far as synths within the Sequential realm go. The P6 is a rich, full and lush classic analogue which can be somewhat experimental, like any synth, if you work it that way. But the places the Prophet 12 can go to, the Prophet 6 can’t even dream about. However, there’s a clear difference in the body of their sounds and nothing fills up the space like a Prophet 6, if you’re looking for that classic, ready to wrap lush synth sound. The Prophet 12 is a bit lighter and airer, makes it better for mult-tracking without processing but it’s easier to end up harsh and its envelops cutting through in a nasty, unpleasent way.

It’s like @JohntheSavage says in his reply, the open architecture makes it more unruly but also offers opportunities which, if you’re looking for the kind, is something else than a classic poly entirely.

I should add that the interface is lovely on the Prophet 12, especially the module. Sequential’s best, I’d say, having not played the Pro3 yet though.

1 Like

I hate to keep mentioning this in threads where it maybe doesn’t belong… But I recommend at least checking out the Motas-6 if you’re considering the Pro-3. It’s a lot deeper imo and has certain things (much more modulation and freely routable 3 filters) which make pretty big differences for sound design.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I’m good, actually.

What I’m missing in the Prophet 12 is a proper sequencer. Sequencing is an integral part of my workflow and to slap on something external, doesn’t quite work up the juices as something internal do.

But first of all, Sequential has never been great at sequencing even when they try really hard, so the Pro 3 might fall short in that aspect anyway, as far as just working with it goes. I’m sure it’s fine as far as what it can actually do. And second, that’s about the only thing I really do miss on the Prophet 12, and it’s given me lots of joy so far and I’ve really learned to work with it now. So whatever I’d get with another board, I’d probably miss a ton of things from the Prophet 12 anyway.

Also, I’m a Sequential die hard fan, so these days, I’m mostly Sequential or no synth at all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Pro2 sequencer is pretty amazing and from what I’ve heard Pro3 even more so. They are absolutely great as modulation sequencers and each sequence can have it’s own length. Oddly you can live record knob tweaks but not notes, you have to hold a step and then hit the notes on the keyboard you want. Editing the paraphonic notes can be a bit messy as its broken into layers. You have slew (perstep on notes, pertrack on modulation) pingpong, random, and just generally more eurorack style sequencer features.

You also get full access to the sequencers in the mod matrix, positive or negative, so you can get a lot of use out if all the layers. Or even modulation of other sequencer layers.

Performance wise there are some decent options, like muting/unmuting layers, and building a sort of list of patches to switch between with pattern hold if you just want to change sounds.

I wouldn’t want it was my main sequencer but it is really great as a sub sequencer in conjunction with something more focused on full song composition.

3 Likes

Oh how I wish Sequential produced a module version of the Pro 3 :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I want to like this more than I actually will, once I get my hands on it. I’m sticking with good old P12. Love its timbres and flow, if anything similar shows up with strong onboard sequencer, I’m listening. Otherwise, this Prophet’s not going anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah its seems like P12 is the one for you… although I think you would get a lot of enjoyment out if a Pro2 or 3 along side it, they just wouldn’t be able to replace it.

1 Like

P6 for me over P12 because I’ve heard P6 in person and I’m more an immediate synth person than a deep sound design person. Was going to say P6 can load microtunings too which is a plus but maybe the P12 as well…

Anyway, back on topic… I guess nobody tried the new user wavetable feature yet.

Checking this out in the meantime

I think the Pro-2 and Pro-3 probably have the best sequencers. I hated the ones in the Rev2. Not that there was anything terribly wrong with them, but after using analog sequencers and Elektron products (on the other end of the spectrum) the Rev2 just felt somewhere out in the middle of nowhere in comparison. More work than play if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Normally I wouldn’t feel this way, but since I have a decent central poly-synth, and several machines with nice sequencers, I’d REALLY like a Pro-3 in a box. :smiley:

1 Like

I always felt that way about the Pro 2. Waited for the desktop module version that never came.
At least the Pro 3 is a little more compact, though.

3 Likes

Can you explain your experience here? I’ve always wanted an OB6, and once i get a minor fix done on my GliGli-modded Prophet 600 and play with it some more, I may sell mine to fund a Pro-3.

I sold my Ob-6 for a P6, much prefer the sound of the P6.
I never gelled with the raspy bright sound of the ob-6.

2 Likes

I’m really curious about the Pro 3, however I’ve sold every DSI / Sequential instrument in the past due to not feeling the sound. I’ve only tried a few though and the only one I miss is the Drumtrax. The Pro 3 is so dope on paper, I really hope it delivers on sound.

I’ve got my eye on the Pro 3 as well. I currently don’t have any analog gear, and starting to want a mono synth for bass lines.

I’ve checked out some of the YT reviews and demos for the Pro 3, and it looks and sounds great to me.

The thing is, I think it’s just me wanting it more than I actually need it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just ordered a Pro 3.

The #1 reason is that I have never owned a true analog synth. I’ve messed with other peoples analog gear and loved the sound. In the past, I’ve always sided with a fully digital path, and it’s time to change that. YOLO.

Very excited about the mod capabilities, the sound, and the sequencer. I want it for drones, leads, bass lines, and to sample analog percussion I make into the DT. And of course sound exploration.

Now, the waiting and anticipation starts…

3 Likes

I think you will like it. Having owned numerous other analog synths (not the Pro 3…yet), VCO’s generally have a very nice weight and presence to them, and a nice analog filter can make it feel alive. Of course, I am not at all debating digital synths, I also have some of those, and I love them as well. But there is just something, with certain analog synths, that just pull me in.

And really, for a first analog synth to own, the Pro 3 seems great with its VCO’s and 3 different analog fitlers. Also, the sequencing, and modulation lanes, along with ease of assigning LFO’s, and wavetable osc., really make a it a very deep synth, that also seem very user friendly.

1 Like

You will love the Filter knob. Best one on the market, IMO.

1 Like

I got it!

My 14 day trial ended seconds after I powered it on :slight_smile:
I immediately fell in love with “F5 P1 Old Saw” (the default patch).
I hit play on the sequencer and turned the filter knob. All my countless hours trying to get that same tone flashed by in a moment. Wow!
Love at first listen :heart_eyes:

YT videos are great for a general idea, but hearing the Pro 3 straight from my monitors was like a punch to the face (in the best way possible).

29 Likes