Sequential Pro 3

How does it feel …?

That’s great!

1 Like

Smooth! :wink:

This synth is such a hot rod. I feel like when I was 14 and got to ride my dads motorcycle.
Careful with the throttle :slight_smile:

Working with such a robust analog mono is challenging me in a good way. It goes well with my digital arsenal, and adds some real grit. I cranked up the plate reverb and droned for about an hour, the layers of distortion tools on this thing are insane.

8 Likes

I did a conservative estimate on the routing possibilities of the Pro 3.

This was my assessment of 20 hand picked typically used mod sources X 40 mod destinations with up to 32 slots for the mod matrix.

Imagine this like a modular where you have 2 panels, one with 20 jacks, and one with 40 jacks, and 32 virtual patch cables to connect them. 20, 40, and 32 are not big numbers, right?

Well… here is what I came up with:

Note that if I did my math right, this is a very low estimate, and it’s actually far higher.
Each mod slot has an amount changing how much each “virtual cable” affects things, and the mod slots themselves are targets which arguably adds another 32 destinations.

Officially the Pro 3 has “32 slot modulation matrix with over 46 mod sources and over 171 mod destinations”. But if you take a close look at these, some are not typically used for sound design.

Anyway, the point of doing this was that I was making crazy patches with the Pro 3 and was really impressed with how flexible the modulation system is. So I thought “Hmmmm I wonder roughly how many possibilities there are?” and the answer is effectively infinite :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gino

7 Likes

Wouldnt it be 32! Cause u have 32 choices for the 1st slot, 31 for the 2nd, 30 for the 3rd etc, which I believe is 263,130,836,933,693,530,167,218,012,160,000,000 I think @tnussb is a math/stats person, can we get a 3rd opinion?

e: or would it be 32^32 cause i guess they can all route to the same location

I know I posted this on another thread already but I do like Carlo’s demo. With a name like Mezzanote, I figure he had no choice but to grow up to be badass muso. Granted I hardly know any Italian, his name might actually mean something other than what I think it is.

In his “not a review” he does cite the mod matrix as something he particularly loves.

1 Like

Would love to be corrected on the math. It’s just a fun exercise, but worth getting right.

Forgot to mention that there are an additional 5 fixed mod slots for LFO1, LFO2, LFO3, ENV1 and ENV2.
So it’s really more like 37 virtual cables, but 5 of them are special as the source is pre-assigned.

Osc Slop too strong? Using the waveshape mod Can have a detune effect, but doesn’t phase. (I’m looking at this from the perspective of the other DSI’s)

But you can make your own now. And they are making a user database on their website.

Is it really “clicky” if you don’t? (Classic DSI design lately)

I’m on the knife edge now, deciding whether or not to buy in. Just waiting to see what the mystery “August release” is. Perhaps a poly6 or poly8 Pro3 :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Regarding the Detuning: I do not mean that detuning 2 oscillators does not work. It totally works. I mean that if you want a value of let’s say +4, good luck. The pot will snap to 0. So you’re forced to use the encoders above the screen.

I knew about the user wavetables. I did not know there would be a database. That is awesome!

Regarding the VCA ENV AMOUNT: With a maximum value, the headroom is gone and you get super saturated sounds. Obviously you want this sometimes. But a lot of people think the Pro 3 sounds too harsh. Turn this down and The whole character changes. I often set it to about 12 o clock. The ‘clickiness’ of the envelopes with attack/release set to 0 is a great feature imo. One of the advantages of digital envelopes, snappiness that analog envelopes cannot match. Great for percussive sounds.

I expect the August release to be a drum machine. Poly Pro 3 will probably happen sooner or later. But obviously it will have some differences. 1 filter only. Maybe no sequencer, or a more simple one like the Rev2/Prophet 6. Maybe only wavetables, no VCOs.

The Pro 3 is a seriously great synth and I think you would love it if you like the Dave Smith sound. Pro One on steroids.

1 Like

I’m quite in a hurry, but where does the exponential growth (^32) come from? All connections are completely independent from each other. So the growth should be linear.

Let’s allow duplicate connections to simplify the math.

Suppose you have one cable then there are 20x40 possible connections. With 2 cables it doesn’t go up to (20x40)^2, but to (20x40)*2.

So your final number is way too large. IMHO it should be 20x40x32.

2 Likes

I like that type of behavior. It’s one of the things that makes the evolver so great. Being able to play with headroom opens up a lot of possibilities/ versatility.
Damn, I want a pro3.

1 Like

For the 1st Slot, you have 20 x 40 possibilities (800)
For the 2nd Slot, you have 20 x 40 - 1 possibilities (799)
For the 3rd Slot, you have 20 x 40 - 2 possibilities (798)

For the 32nd Slot, you have 20 x 40 - 31 possibilities (769)

So you have to do a summation :
769 + 770 + 771 + … + 799 + 800 = ((769 + 800)(32)) / 2 = 25 104 connection possibilities

4 Likes

I’m just here for the math.

8 Likes

I think @Tchu nailed it. and to be fair, @tnussb did say he was simplifying and ignoring duplicate cases.

interesting stuff though.

1 Like

should be enough for a hoover sound, though, right? RIGHT?

4 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense. I’m not confident in it being exponential.

When I started thinking about this, in my head I used 3 x 3 with 2 cables.

Put another way, I was surprised that this routing works on this synth, and it’s what lead me to exploring it further:

That patch makes some crazy noise, but it’s cool for drones. Note that if you change the amount, they effect the sound. In Osc2 you hear the effect of Osc1 modifying itself 3 times, and if you take one away you get a different timbre.

Pretty amazing synth they made :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gino

3 Likes

@Six06 you mentioned lots of nagging little bugs. Are they things that limit the functionality? I haven’t heard anyone mention bugs with this synth yet. I’m strongly considering this one but I don’t want to fork over that much money to be a beta tester for an incomplete product.

some bugs I regularly encounter in version 1.0:

• Random screen jumping. Very frustrating when you’re designing a patch.
  • Weird, random sequencer bugs. Sometimes it’s perfect. Every so often a sequence will drop a note, or change gate time of a step randomly. Things like that.
  • Key press becomes note OFF, key release becomes note ON. This one is bizarre and only occurs in paraphonic mode. Requires a power cycle to correct.

All are frustrating to deal with. But 1.1 is out now so hopefully much of it is resolved. (I have not updated yet), and more bug fixes are certainly on the way.

I hope that was helpful, let me know if you have any other questions, you can always PM me.

1 Like

Not sure what u mean by stepped clicks but I do know Sequential synths have tuned resonance, so if u have it self oscillating and sweep it slowly you will hear steps due to the quantization.

1 Like

I know that. That is not what I’m referring to.

With the resonance knob, when you hit right around 10-11 o clock and turn past 12, you get a few clicks. This is when resonance compensation is ON only.