Sequential Pro 3

I actually like the standard too. Having a synth with a flat programming area isn’t that bad either. I manage with my Prophet 6 laid out like that.

2 Likes

The standard has an overlay for the panel graphics, while the LE is properly silkscreened… that would be enough for me to choose the LE! I don’t know why US synth manufacturers use vinyl overlays, when the Japanese manufacturers manage to put a silkscreened panel on pretty much every synth regardless of the price point! Even the Volca series uses nicely printed metal panels for goodness sake. Scoop the LE!

2 Likes

Just for a counterpoint (probably mentioned it already) I’m generally very detail oriented and I literally never thought once about the overlay until I read someone mention it weeks after I already had my standard. Never even occurred to me it was an overlay. IMO, $500 is pretty steep to pay for that alone and that’s coming from someone who has no (zero) problems paying for expensive things.

I wouldn’t judge anyone for getting the SE… I might even trade up for one down the road, but I’d personally do it for the ergonomics (if that’s more of an issue to you) over the silkscreen vs. overlay. The tilting panel would be nice for longer sessions but not necessity by any means at least for me.

3 Likes

Just returned my Moog Subharmonicon so I have a store credit burning a hole in my pocket. A few things I’m considering…

Hydrasynth Desktop
MegaFM
Throwing in a few more bucks for a Pro3
Save a bit for an Iridium

Very different machines, I know and I’ll likely buy a second synth before the year is done. The question is which two. All I really have for synths currently is my eurorack stuff (Verbos CO, Cwejman BLD and Doepfer A110-4)
My other gear is a OT MK2 and Model:Cycles
I tend to like more ‘experimental’ sounds and want to build a rig that will cover a lot of ground

2 Likes

I’ll go for either the Iridium or Hydra Synth.

1 Like

@apeirophobe I pre ordered the SE during NAMM. It kept getting delayed so I bought the Standard and couldn’t be happier with my decision. The best thing about the SE would certainly be the tilted front panel. The wood is down to taste. Pretty steep price difference though.

@Snipecatcher I would recommend some sort of keyboard synth. Even if you’re not a great keyboard player, it would round out your rig nicely.

2 Likes

I do have an old 61 note Trinity That I use as a controller as well as a few controllers…though I’d love to put the Trinity back in the closet

I would probably lean more Pro 3 or Iridium, but I don’t tend to use complex patches for big chords on a poly which makes the complexity and voice count of the Iridium a bit of an odd place but I suppose it never hurts to have more voices. Iridium seems to have more room for experimental for sure. Some of the paraphonic tricks you could do with a Pro 3 are pretty unique, stuff like setting up individual glides and using fm having new notes glide in and fm old notes. Both have interesting sequencers that would complement the OT sequencer. Personally I would probably want a Iridium because I am more curious about the new places I could go with it.

3 Likes
5 Likes

On my wish list! :heart_eyes:

Looks like he couldn’t stand the knobs :smiley:

Looks like Sequential is adding support for user-created wavetables. Great new feature.

"Sequential has added a significant enhancement to the Pro 3 multi-filter mono synth — support for user-created wavetables.

Sequential’s web-based utility Wavetable Generator allows users to convert up to 16 single-cycle waves into a Pro 3 compatible wavetable and load it into any of the 32 user wavetable slots on the synth. This significantly expands the sound palette of the instrument.

Custom wavetables are generated as SysEx files that can be archived and shared with other Pro 3 owners. To use the feature, users will need to upgrade to version 1.1 of the Pro 3 operating system, available on the Support page of the Sequential website. Both the Wavetable Generator utility and OS upgrade are provided free of charge to Pro 3 owners.

“How do you make an awesome-sounding hybrid synth even better? By letting users import their own wavetables,” said Sequential founder Dave Smith: “It opens up a lot of new sonic territory for the Pro 3. We hope users get crazy with it.” Sequential chose to provide the utility as a web app for easy access and broad support. Added Smith: “We wanted to make getting custom waves into the Pro 3 as simple as possible. Ease of use is always a big priority on our synths.”

Wavetable Generator can be found at: www.sequentialwaves.com "

5 Likes

Anyone here has any experience with the Prophet 12 and can compare the two? As in, what I love about the Prophet 12 which keeps me hanging on to it, is that it can go to strange and haunting places, it can sound very suggestive and dark, moody and mysterious. I don’t care much for classic synth sounds, nor for weird FM stuff, but I love myself long, dripping dusty pads, muted plucked rythmic stuff, noisy and filtered subtle tones and stuff.

What I hear from Pro3 demos are either classic sounds, or straight out weird modulated stuff that sounds like the most fantastic stuff you’ll never use in a track anyway. But it has wavetables, lots of modulation, so it seems like it could compare. Maybe.

1 Like

The P6 can get those sounds i would have thought

1 Like

Not enough modulation on the P6 to go that weird or complex, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I just commented in the sound design thread about the vast, if endless possibilities of comprehensive, open-architecture, modulation-heavy synths not unlike the P-12… I think you’re already in good hands there, Circuit. :wink:

Moreover, my experience is that one DSI synth is as good as the next, sonically speaking; specific features notwithstanding. The P-12 is a monster synth. As long as you’re creatively inspired, it should deliver what you need for many, many years to come. I would think so anyway.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I’m not sure I hear ‘new’ when people bring up wave tables.
I’ve had a few, still have microfreak and softsynths and iOS synths… I think granula brought some new textures but aren’t wavetables ye olde digital tech ?

Pro3 seems nice, too expensive for my tastes.

But a wavetable is whatever you want it to be. As such, the onus is on the user to come up with something “new”; whatever that entails. :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

I agree but with the internet slowly being filled with demos of many wavetable synths I haven’t heard much new yet ?
The differences seem to be how things are modulated / triggered and fx , not the core waveform and how it morphs.

Cheers!

1 Like