Sequencers : Please add steps per pages!

The thing i really don’t like on all Elektrons sequencers : you cannot set the number of steps for each page.
Silly example : you work in 3/4, then your first bar is the 12 first steps of page 1. Second bar is 4 last steps of page 1 and 8 first steps of page 2, and so on…

I know it’s not just Elektron, but come on, this is so not musical.
Do you guys deal with it ?

20 Likes

I have never liked this, 7 years ago I sent in a feature request for it but it never got implemented, most of the others did eventually though, so I live in hope :rofl: #eternaloptimist

6 Likes

It’s possible with OT Arranger.

Yes and by chaining too, but it is wasteful for me.

Sometimes I’m really happy with a regular 4/4 one bar with 16 steps, lfos and Trig Conditions ! :slight_smile:
I’m using 4/4 most of the time.
When I’m really old I’ll do valse and blues with Elektrons…:wink:

1 Like

With a bit of planning you can make it work with some carefully placed trig conditions.

But I hear you- perhaps you should sequence from a DAW.

If there’s a sequencer that can make this happen it would be magic.

No need for bad language @Ryan :rofl:

11 Likes

It’s not ideal for sure. I like to write a lot of stuff in odd meters, and it is a pain to have musical bars split by pages. But, it is what it is. Would be a lovely feature for sure! I’m pretty used to having to do a little more math for the rhythms I’m making though.

1 Like

It’s actually really killing my workflow. Especially with the machines that can handle different lengths per track. It’s a great call to make polymetric patterns, but the sequencer is just terrible with it in the end.

Just bumping this thread as I am almost considering (re) purchasing an OT, but this limitation will probably stop me from effectively buying it.

Much as I have long been lobbying for “proper” and logical solutions for sequencer pages I think that if it isn’t integrated into the design from the outset then it is a impractical and difficult to be added later, so I don’t hold much hope for it ever being implemented into existing products.

However like most things there are often workarounds to be found, although often there are compromises with such hacks, on the OT if you have patterns to spare then chaining patterns of 1 page can be a fairly decent option, the main thing to bear in mind is setting the master length and scale such that everything loops correctly, not always possible though, but depending on what track lengths to be used it might work.

3 Likes

I think I could deal with using just one page per pattern and chain patterns. At least for producing. In live it would be difficult because you can’t edit a chained pattern without triggering it, can you ? Or even worse, it will break the pattern chain ?
Still need to read the manual (again and again) to see if it’s realistic. But am I right to assume that a project can hold 16 banks of 16 patterns ?

You can edit patterns while playing them, but you have to be quick, because you can’t focus on only one. Check Arranger too.

2 Likes

Yes.

As @sezare56 said arranger can be used by way of loops to constrain a set of chained patterns, you can set the loop to :infinity: and manually move to different sections too, and using the REM function each of the sections can have a text label to aid navigation.

You can also jump between pattern and arranger mode, and of course fills and trig conditions can help to make the patterns go further.

Bit of a workaround but has the potential to allow complex structures to be made, pen and paper recommended though :wink:

3 Likes

I work in odd time sigs all the time. I just do a bit of mathematics and work it out. 7, 14 , 21, 28 etc Not really a deal breaker, just need to excercise my brain a bit more.

3 Likes

Nothing in the latest OS? I sold my a4 to get a tempest. But I’m really missing everything else with the workflow.
I mean, even the drumbrute has scaled steps per page. Making chains and using paper and pen isn’t really live jam friendly.

The drum brute ? Does it ?

I can choose to use a number up to 16 in the sequencer. When, say i choose 12 steps, the sequencer reach the twelfth step it jumps to the start or the next page. Super easy to set up and jam with.

Even better if syncing to a looper. Then there is a “step one” each bar/page instead of when the whole sequence is trough. Makes it easier to have, for example, a four bar drum pattern with a two bar loop. To have to wait for the whole sequence to go through for a synced “one” is just impractical.

2 Likes

This is a very long standing wish of many Elektronauts and Elektron Users, since forever.

4 Likes

Yeah, because it is a super sequencer that only works well in 4/4. :smiley: