Who here doesn't have any in-production Elektron gear

MD Sold.
A4 Sold.
AH Sold.
DN Sold.

AK, put it on sale, people were making crazy low offers, kept it, now probably one of the centerpiece of my setup.

Never really managed to tame the gas for a MnM…I 'll probably get one someday…

I also have an OTMkII but that is out of topic.

MDuw. :+1:t3:
OT (mk2) :+1:t3:
MnM on the way. :ok_hand:t3:
DN. :paw_prints:

might end up letting the DN go. it’s a fantastic unit but I’m more into the older machines ability to feed the tracks into one another in their various ways. that’s where the magic happens for me.

I really hope they bring that stuff back in their future releases. resampling, neighbour tracks, oh yes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

DT sold
DN sold
OT sold
A4 mkII sold

I absolutely loved the first three, but I didn’t finish anything. Now back to Ableton and already after a couple of weeks productive as f***.

Actually I am better at Ableton now, because of my years with the Elektron-boxes.

4 Likes

Could you develop why and what do you use instead each sold piece ? and which sequencer do you use now ? Just curious. :slight_smile:

OT I only. Digitone is tempting.

Hi there !!
Detail everything would be, well, a bit long.
But the short story is : i never found any sequencer that I like. Well, the Cirklon was ok, but I’m more of a “visual” guy. It’s a matter of music style, I guess. I write music a bit in a classical way, sometimes literally “classical”. In a nutshell, I LOVE Ableton Live.
And also, I can’t stand the 16 steps paradigm (see Sequencers : Please add steps per pages!)

Every machine was bought in its own time, and has its own story.

When I bought the OT, i wanted to make livelooping with it : it’s totally not fun in comparison with Live. Also the timestretch and FX leave me totally unimpressed.
Also I can’t stand 16 steps.

The Digitone is a great machine, perhaps the only one that I regret. But at the time, the firmware didn’t allow “free” fm ratios, so it was leaning me towards too clean sounds.

The Digitakt, I didn’t have fun in sample manipulations.

The A4 : didn’t really like the feel, the knobs, and 4 voices is not enough for me.

RYTM : it crashed the FIRST time I switched it on.

HEAT : was planning to use with Ableton Live, but the latency with OB, seriously ??

But it’s not 16 steps ! Haha ! Nothing to reply now ! :rofl:

1 Like

MnM, Rytm MKI, Heat MKI, and a DN to finish off the timeline. MnM still seems like the most futuristic of the lot!

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answer ! Indeed, I see what you’re feeling with the 16 steps sequencer, as I love Ableton Live as well and the visual layout really help for someone like me who uses daily animation/vfx softwares. And therefore I always end up by creating a track in the Live composer view. But what I found in thoses elektron sequencers (I only have DT and DN) are more a way to come up with ideas than to compose, by trying out stuff really quickly. (still way too inexperienced and shy about music to use them as performance tools tho)

Also, I didn’t have the time to dig on latest firmware releases the past few months, but I think that the Digitakt now has the ability to have ‘per track length’, meaning you can have virtually patterns that are longer than 16 steps.

And yeah the latest Digitone firmware was a huge improvement, mostly thanks to ratio tweaking and portamento, you should try it again!

(p.s: listener since 2012, j’ai gardé un super souvenir du concert avec Ezekiel au Bataclan il y a quelques années :slight_smile: )

My problem is with the interface. When you work for instance in 3/4, first beat of bar 2 is on step 13, first beat of bar 3 is on step 9, etc… It’s just improper to play live.

(P.S., super souvenir, j’étais solo ? Ou plutôt en groupe non, mais ça devait être 2014 ou 2015…https://www.mowno.com/concerts/photos/ez3kiel-et-chapelier-fou-au-bataclan-dans-loeil-de-mowno/ )

1 Like

Yeah I understand, not suited for any kind of music then. I guess I am too much of a beginner to be bothered by this haha :smiley:

(P.S. oui, c’était ce concert en décembre 2014 ! (en groupe donc) perfect night !)

Had:
MnM SFX-6
MDUW mk 1
That turbo midi thingie
Analog 4
Analog Drive

Have:
AK
AR mk 1
OT mk 1
Analog Heat mk 1
Overhub

I guess of the ones I have, only Overhub is still in production :tongue:

1 Like

Overhub is a true classic :slight_smile:

I have
MDUW mk2
MnM mk2
OT mk1
AK

I sold and rebought the MnM and OT once each, and there was a point where I was really strongly thinking about selling the AK, but I wound up using it for a couple of theatre sound design projects & found my flow in it.

3 Likes

Ooh what sounds did you make for the play?

It was a series of improvised Ray Bradbury-inspired vignettes, so some real 50s sci-fi stuff, wistful/ominous drones, drifty pads. We all know how good the A4 is at that stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The TM-1 remains the one that I use the most ! Reliable, small and I love the look of it.

I get the picture. But isn‘t it 64 steps that you don‘t like?

1 Like

64 step is a tough limit indeed, but my main concern is the “16 steps at once” paradigm, meaning that you always have 16 steps in front of you, which is only meaningful when working in 4/4.

2 Likes

I see what you mean

1 Like

All of mine are out of production now but no need to upgrade. Prefer the old box format.
The only one I would consider selling is MNM but can’t bring myself to it right now. No need to either.

1 Like