Sensel Morph

Are there any stores where Sensel Morph are currently in stock and accept international shipping?
I’d find overlays, but Morph is out of stock in most stores.

Another way to use the Morph is as a controller for a modular system. One good way to get CV control from the Morph, is by using the Endorphin.es Shuttle Control. There is a preset on the Shuttle Control ( via Cargo 4 ) that is specifically made for the Morph.

The Endorphin.es Shuttle Control has 16 CV outputs so that allows for a deep interface between your Morph and your modular. Here’s a very short video, showing the Morph behaving in ways similar to how a Buchla Thunder would be used.

1 Like

i hope the Morph is in stock again some day.

1 Like

Sunset for the Morph

Bummer. Had been interested in checking out the Morph at some point since I’ve always liked the look of Buchla’s Thunder controller layout…

The closest thing and worth examining is the Joué Play. See this thread :

The Embodme Erae Touch has some features too, but is slightly different.

Neither has anything like the Thunder interface.

ADDED :

Very different but worth a look is the Mine S from Special-Waves. See this thread :

The Monogram Creative, and its predecessor now gone called Palette Gear is similar to the Mine S.

1 Like

They discontinued this months ago but couldn’t be bothered to tell anyone, presumably while they sold off remaining stocks… poor communication has been a feature of sensel though throughout. I hope they open source the firmware but doubt they will.

In fairness, I’ve not had the issues that others have described as making it unusable, though there’s apparently a ton of untapped potential. I’ll continue to enjoy mine for what it is, while fearing attaching it to my computer in case it kills it.

Thats unfortunate, it’s a great device. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next!

1 Like

I doubt sensel will release anything music based again - it was apparent quite early on that the driver behind the morph was to attract computing companies to that tech, and that they either weren’t interested in refining for the user base or were, but didn’t have the time/workforce to do so.

Fair play to them though - they came up with a great product, got their computer company deals, and I’m very grateful for that thunder overlay… I just hope it keeps working…

As expected, the faq confirms they won’t open source it. I never did the last update because according to folk on their forum it bricked a couple of units, though I should probably do that now while there is some kind of support.

This doesn’t really surprise me, it’s felt like vaporware for the lifetime that I’ve owned one. I wish I’d gone onto their forums beforehand and seen the years of silence from the devs - I think there was one firmware update across the two years I had it, and it barely tackled half of the basic features that were missing. It’s never really worked properly for me in most use cases I’ve tried it with, and I guess this is going to literally be a brick (rather than figuratively for me) once there’s a Mac OS update and you can no longer even change the MIDI mapping because the software will no longer be supported.

From a business POV it makes total sense though - the market for a MPE tablet is minuscule compared to the dollar value on the enterprise contracts they can get integrating their technology into laptops/tablets etc. I just wish there was a reliable, reasonably priced (eg not £1000s) MPE controller made by someone who isn’t going to go bankrupt or not actually support it.

The Linnstrument might tick those boxes for you - it’s a fantastic device.

I see that Sensel is listed as an exhibitor at NAMM 2022.

1 Like

I‘m currently thinking of selling my Morph as it doesn’t get a lot of use so I was checking some platforms to know what to expect in terms of selling price… and I‘ve seen two listings for more than 1000€ and some around 500-600€. So basically I‘m still clueless. Anyone sold theirs recently and wouldn’t mind sharing some info? My Morph is close to mint condition, 5 overlays, travel case and all the original packaging is still there.

I sold mine for around $900 to a surgeon who lives in Austria. It was in perfect condition with boxes, creators overlay with a painstakingly formatted ID700 Buchla app insert, and the Thunder overlay. I really needed the money for bills or i wouldnt have sold it or jacked it up like that. But there are people willing to pay when there’s no other listings.

Thanks for your input. The most popular German selling platform has a listing for 1500€ but it was posted end of August of last year and is still online. Did you sell yours on Reverb?
I‘ll keep looking into it. If someone reading this is interested in buying one feel free to hit me up.

Guess the buzzword ”discontinued“ disables common logic and the panic mode kicks in.

2 Likes

Defo, get as much as you can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just ignore the discontinued part. What’s that matter ultimately if it works and you are using it ?

The online forum is still there and good.

If you really like this sort of thing, but want something still made and sold, the Joué Play is similar.

Yes mine sold on Reverb when there were no other listings. I really liked it, but in addition to needing money, when they said they could no longer guarantee that the editor would work with future OS updates, I panicked that it could become an expensive paperweight or require a machine with obsolete OS to edit it. So i bailed. Love the concept and performance though. My one gripe was that it’s a pain to plug in to the computer to edit, when it is plugged into an instrument i am using it with. Like, you can’t audition the changes easily without more complex routing.

Embodme is working on a touchpad technology that would function very similarly to the Sensel Morph including the silicone overlays. No word on when this might be available, but it may be a ways off. Whether they would make it usable for musical applications is unknown, but they have other products that are music controllers.

This is besides their EraeTouch and new ERAE II products.

See it shown in this video.

1 Like