Hydrasynth from ASM

I was thinking more along the lines of “testicles of a newt” style potions, but tea seems less messy.

Or something made from an actual hydra (the mythical one).

1 Like

Don’t let me stop you from chugging newt juice.

I’ll be over here enjoying my fourth oolong infusion.

2 Likes

It’s not for me, it’s for the exorcism! I might try a little…

1 Like

Maybe I should set up all my synths as a big Drone Mantra Choir and see if they can summon me a Hydrasynth.

1 Like

I’m enjoying my second brew on a Wuyi oolong right now.

1 Like

I have been looking at ways to expand the Hydrasynth’s CV control capabilities, specifically with Poly-Aftertouch. One option is the Endorphin.es Shuttle Control, which would allow the connection of USB MIDI to 16 CV outputs.

The Shuttle Control has a lot of flexibility setting up controls, including poly-aftertouch. They call it Key Pressure.

The Shuttle Control also supports MPE so that is another way the HS could interface to it.

ASIDE : I’m also looking at the potential of using the Shuttle Control with the Osmose as well, instead of the Haken CVC. It also works well with the Sensel Morph.

The Shuttle Control might be something else for the Deluxe “Shelf”, or perhaps it’s better in with the other modules.

ADDED : The Expert Sleepers FH-2 is also capable of outputing CV from polyphinic-aftertouch and MPE MIDI. See down-thread.

1 Like

Hey, sent it in and they’re covering the parts/labor as they said it was something that shouldn’t have happened under normal use.

I feel like a jerk because my initial tone with them was pretty whiney-babyish and they totally came through above and beyond their level of promised responsibility.

I may be out the shipping charges, but that seems more than a fair compromise.

I’ll update when it comes back, but it may be best to send it in sooner than later. Mine went to California, btw. Not sure if you’re in the US too.

5 Likes

Somehow this ability to pan the oscillators went under the radar for me.
I’ve been exploiting it and going for some pseudo DSI Evolver patches lately. Turning out to be a big feature that’s helping me appreciate this synth and ignore the prospects of others.

4 Likes

Which as we later find out can include a mono external audio signal. ( Although not now with the Explorer. )

In playing around with the concept of the Deluxe, it occurred to me that in Mutimode you now can feed two audio signals, or a stereo signal. Of course these separate audios, then must go through two separate engines, get panned and processed separately, and then are output either to two separate stereo outputs, or combined back to a single stereo output.

Hey all,

I’ve just set up HSD with Live, everything is spot on except that when I hit the stop button on my MBP the Hydra leaves a trail of delays as if the delay is all over the place. I’m running the latest version.
Any ideas? I’m trying to do audio demos for a new bank of sounds.

Thanks

On my first encounter with the Hydra I struggled understanding the modulation amount as it didn’t seem to match the actual difference, ie: an Lfo amount of 3 would not move a value of +/- 3 so if the cutoff was 45 and modulated by the lfo, it would move in a range smaller than 42/48…
But, the desktop seems now super cheap and it’s a lot of synth for the money.

Can anyone explain me the modulation values and how they apply?

old guy has VIBE!

and this is pretty thick!

1 Like

Good to see ASM has Sun God RA doing patches for the Deluxe ( second video ) !

I love his sound. I’ll be interested in his velocity split patches as well.

There is all sorts of space on that keyboard.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine with the HS, specifically that the mod Depth’s aren’t dynamic to the destination base counters (Ex. WaveScan is 8, FX Wet/Dry are 100, Cutoff is 128, Mod Depth is always +/-128 (except in the Filter pages)).

My whining aside, the Cutoff is 128, and as far as I can tell the mod depth matches 1:1. You can test this by setting your Cutoff at 64, set LFO1 as a square, and set LFO1 amt (in the filter page or in the MM if you have it set up there) to 64. It will basically on/off the tone, and as you reduce the Depth you will get a corresponding reduction in movement.
The only things that I can think of that would prevent the LFO amount from aligning with the Cutoff is if you’ve adjusted the Level control within the LFO itself, or your using something like a sine that only touches max amplitude for a moment which makes it feel like it isn’t making the full throw.

A few other things about the Mod depths.

• If you’re working with something like the example above and have your LFO set up in the MM, you can actually exceed the max throw of the destination by going past 64, which in effect squares off the apex/nadir for a hold (you wouldn’t notice it with a square, but it’s noticeable with things like a sine or triangle). This made me a bit insane when I got the HS because I couldn’t figure out why silky smooth sine wave modulations had a choppy on/off feel to them

• If the destination base counter isn’t 128, you can divide the 128 by the destination base to figure out what you need. The easy example is Wavescan which goes from 1 to 8. Lets say you want to use an envelope or macro (both uni-directional) to morph from a saw in Wav 1, to a square in Wav 2. You would divide 128/8 to get a value of 16. You could then set your macro or env mod depth to 16 to move from Wav 1 to Wav 2. If you wanted to use a bipolar LFO, you would set the WaveScan position to 1.5, and your LFO’s mod Depth to 8 (up 8, down 8 for a total of 16). Getting from Wav 1 to Wav 3 requires a total mod depth of 32
    For controls that go to 100%, you divide the 128 by 100 to get 1.28. If I wanted to swell my delay wet/dry from 0% to 50% using a macro, I’d set the depth to 64 (1.28*50)

Not sure if this helps with your question. It all makes sense once you get the hang of it, but it can be a bit annoying when you’re getting started with the machine

6 Likes

So here’s a video with Sun God RA using the Hydrasynth Explorer as a MIDI controller, and specifically using the poly-aftertouch keyboard, to control a Sequential Prophet 6 module. The two seem to fit pretty well together.

Don’t know all the technical detail with this setup.

This seems to me something others will take advantage of too, using the Explorer as a portable $600 poly-aftertouch MIDI controller, with a very versatile arpeggiator. Oh and by the way, it has a synth built in too.

Also for everyone who says they can’t play a keyboard, take note of the relative ease of playing here.

ADDED NOTE :
The Explorer is
21.9 inches or 55.6 cm wide.

The Sequential Prophet 6 Module is
21.25 inches or 54 cm wide.

Would seem easy to rig up a little stand.

The Explorer could have a patch with 4 ( 8 total ) combination Macro controls for the Prophet 6.

4 Likes

Ah, sweet video - I hadn’t seen the HSE being used as a controller yet.

I have an opsix, so the Explorer seems a perfect companion for it. Since I’d be a new HS user, so I don’t think the lack of ribbon, and the condensed controls would just be normal to me. I also don’t mind a little bit of menu diving. I’m really into the HS arpeggiator (opsix’s arp is good but basic) and how it sounds (bit of a “slight deviation from the preset” type of guy).

I bet the answer is, “No” or “Probably not”, but does anyone think bitimbrality on the Explorer would be feasible/in the pipeline? That would be too much of a dream come true, especially at that price certainly, but we could hope. I’m not a keys player, so the Deluxe doesn’t make sense for me, unfortunately.

1 Like

Using the Explorer as a controller will be quite useful. The best use will be when the synth it is controlling accepts either MIDI poly-aftertouch, or MPE. We should list out some of the hardware synths that can accept this sort of MIDI. ( There are soft-synths too. )

Not at all likely. It has to do with the electronic architecture. The Deluxe is bi-timbral only because it physically contains two separate Hydrasynth engines. That said though there are already ways to change timbre of a voice, over time, across pitch, or with poly-aftertouch, so that there is variation beyond a simple sound.

One more thing to point out about the Explorer that is different from all the others is that it does lack the audio input.

I would like to see ASM do other things with the smaller keyboard. Who knows what that might include.

1 Like

Korg Wavestate
Korg OpSix

1 Like

Prophet-6
OB-6
Peak
Waldorf Iridium ( and Quantum )

Question: Since those two KORGs receive, does the Modwave too ?

1 Like