Sensel Morph

And touch devices other than Apple’s too —that’s it, a big difference in that regard, specifically multi-point pressure sensing. Kind of think of it like poly-aftertouch. Another thing is water resistance — working in a wet environment, there’s a video of the Sensel screen device being used with spraying water, and wet hands. The new technology also wraps around the device so it senses both hands if you are holding the device in your hand. I am sure there is more secret stuff too.

ADDED: Apparently they can also apply their sensing technology to three dimensional surfaces. I think this goes beyond wrapping around edges. Not sure exactly how this all could be applied, i thought of things like virtual wind instruments, or the necks of virtual stringed instruments, like a violin, but i’m no doubt thinking far too conventional and low volume. Some sort of gaming device ? Something in a car ?

If I had the space and ergonomic deskspot for a Morph, I might have bought one years ago to use with the keyboard overlay.

Eight years ago, a German company on Kickstarter wanted to make a laser music keyboard with true polyphonic aftertouch and mappable expression for each individual key. I don’t recall what they intended to use for a keybed, but I was a backer and felt quite sad when the company failed to meet its financial objective. I do still hope for a keyboard with maximized polyphonic expression, one that still uses a traditional keyboard – not that of a Roli or an overlay – for its interface.

A spherical controller, like the Orba.

The much-anticipated Osmose?

I finally received my Innovator’s overlay. I plopped it on top of my taped-up Morph, and it works perfectly, its translucency showing my tape-pattern below. A/B’ing with the overlay on and off, I see that the overlay reduces the sensitivity, or more accurately, the response curve. This isn’t a bad thing, as the naked Morph’s response is sometimes a bit oversensitive because when you’re playing percussion, you do want to strike the thing a little bit heavier than necessary so that you feel the pattern in your fingers. A feather-light touch might no always be desirable; we’ll see over time. The overlay is hard enough so that it does feel good. Also, the overlay’s bit of extra weight somehow makes the thing a bit more stable on my lap so that I don’t need the wooden slab.

On the other hand, the overlay’s slightly different response makes the feel of some kit pieces less good. I also get more unintended flams with the overlay. I guess it will depend on the kit and style of music. I’ve tried with both BFD3 and TD-50.

The Morph’s Achilles Heel is still its minimum velocity of 32. That really, really sucks. I guess the device’s response limits it to a range of 96 velocities, so Sensel did the logical thing and lopped off the bottom instead of the top. This is bad for anything percussive—including piano—as velociites 20-32 are very desirable, though below 20 less so for most people. As reported, Roger Linn also said that the device’s response also limits its size, so he couldn’t use Sensel’s technology for the LinnStrument. If there’s ever a Morph mk ii, even the most modest gains in size and velocity resolution would make a huge difference. This first generation just doesn’t quite cut it, professionally speaking, thought it’s a near miss.

@blipson Maybe you already know, but there are 2 hardware revisions of the Sensel Morph, model S0001 and the S0002. I don’t know what the differences are.

Maybe somebody knows the differences?

1 Like

…and knows which model I have?

I have model S0002, it’s written on the backside of the Morph

I’ve got S0002.

Sensel just released a video that gives some tips on how to create a grid with multiple pads using the Innovator’s Overlay, 64 pads in this example.

I doubt it would be much use to you Blipson, but maybe for some others.

This video is a little under 5 minutes long.

Yeah, I need to customize the pads’ sizes to accommodate the difference between thumb strikes for kicks and fingertips. Plus, I enlarge the snare because that one gets a lot more stroke rolls, meaning 2-finger trills.

My LinnStrument’s percussion layout is also, of course, one big grid of equally sized pads like this 8x8, so I vary the target area size per percussion piece via redundant MIDI note assignments to groups of pads. The problem with the LinnStrument is that its onboard MIDI mapping options are very limited, forcing me to use DAW plugins to remap.

1 Like

Sensel as part of NAMM, just released a free pack of presets, Express MPE, that allows you to use the Sensel Morph with MPE with a variety of software and hardware. Things supported with this includes, Xfer Serum, Arturia Pigments, Madrona Labs Aalto and Kaivo, Audio Damage Quanta, Bitwig Studio, Ableton Live 11, and the ASM Hydrasynth.

There is a set of ten videos demonstrating this here.

You can get Express MPE from the Sensel website.

5 Likes

Are you, and any others, please chime in!, continuing to enjoy your Morph?

I‘m not using it nearly as often as I should but when I do I always think: I should use it more often.
So far I‘ve been using it exclusively with my iPad but will try it with the Hydrasynth soon.

1 Like

It’s very handy if you have an axoloti or other DIY audio board, you can use the sensel to draw a ‘hardware’ interface, stick it into the developers overlay and you are in business.
Also good for creating custom drum pads etc. I quite like the flat unsquishy interface for my attempt at finger drumming.
Plus it is very portable in one of the fatter ipad cases if you don’t bring a controller with you

took delivery of the bucla overlay over xmas but have yet to try it out

2 Likes

Which iOS apps do you like to use it with?

The overlay with the pad layout is ideal for Beatmaker3, the piano overlay is good for basically any synth app. I also have the drum overlay (bought the bundle when it was on special during Black Friday) and sometimes use it with an app called “Drums XD”. I use some chopsticks as drumsticks and just fool around. It´s even good enough to pass the easy lessons in Melodics for e-drums… the response is pretty good actually, snare rolls sound pretty accurate.

1 Like

I get some use out of it, but very little due to the 3V floor issue. If I’d known that the device couldn’'t output MIDI velocity <32, I wouldn’t have bought it.

Two new MPE sound packs for the Morph, for Live 11 and Bitwig (etc). They’re stressing analog sorts of sounds here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pvmiW4n7-4
Techtonics

https://youtu.be/d0sg2wtKGfo
Analog Essentials

They each are on sale for $39 until March 12th, when they increase to $59.

1 Like

I am enjoying my morph! I use mine with an axoloti and the buchla overlay for MPE play. It’s somewhat fussy to programme (without a midi hub), but once that’s done playing is really nice - I find it very responsive/expressive. Here’s a recent thing with that over the AE modular: https://therapyinterferingbehaviour.bandcamp.com/album/maenam

If you have questions fire away - hope you’re well!

Edit: oh and it’s incredibly configurable. If you want to do it, chances are you can!

1 Like

I just posted this on the new 0.19.295 firmware thread at Sensel:

“The new firmware, using threshold = 10, offers quite an improvement. It’s easy to get a full spectrum of velocities below 40, but it looks like that’s at the expense of finer resolutions of the higher velocities. For example, I get no velocities from 79-87, 92-97, 99-103, then just 115, 120, and 127. As a trade-off on my particular instrument of choice (percussion controller for BFD and TD-50) it’s a definite improvement. I’m thinking smooth, full-spectrum response might not be possible due to processor limitations, but at least now it’s something I can use. I’m still testing.”

I’m so glad they brought this thing back from the dead in my case. It did look like they’d abandoned development for the sake of other parts of their business. Who knows if we’ll ever see another update, but I can now get a bit of use out of it.

2 Likes