Screen replacement RYTM MKI

if someone could recommend white on black module that would be great. or OLED alternative :wink:

No, i bought over 100 of the same from Them, they look Good though. They just annoyed the h*ll out of me One time when they forgot to move two resistors so the screen would behave as i ordered. A bit of harshness and then we were friends and they refunded me partially… Great service in the end!

the service is top.

I think quite a few of us would be very happy if that would magically appear.
Maybe those who already have bought the upgrade from reverb or before have pics of the unit before soldering? A pic of the backside would be awesome. I woul even pay for info that leads me right!

Ok got some very useful info here!
The black screens are apparently custom-built for the guys behind the reverb ad, They are identical to the WG12232A besides the color scheme, and i have no company so i couldn´t contact winstar and ask them to sell me a few. But it must be in the contract since the screen is not on the web either. Oh well… Let the guys enjoy their niche, good for them!

However, i have spoken to my connection on the other company and it seems like it may be possible to invert the colors to black bg/white text. Screen size is identical, BUT the PCB is smaller (84x44 versus 80 x 36). No biggie for me since i´m goign to make a brand new top panel anyway so i just need to move the display opening so it fits. I think it´s going to be a hole that´s moved down 4-8 mm and either left or right 2mm.
I might use the extra space to add some cool graphics or whatnot. I´ll see what my contact answers first, if the techies can do it or not and what it would cost. The big issue is that i need to make some custom header or connector. If i can totally remove the female 20-pin header from the board, i might be able to figure out something working…

Ok, here´s all my info! Now, what do you have brought to the table? :wink:

Looks like I’ve to get it directly from Elektron, it seems that shops here are out of stock.
:slightly_frowning_face:

would 3d printed adapter be an option to fit a smaller display?

elektron had them recently in stock. 8gbp each excl p&p

1 Like

Got some more info.
Yeah, my contact can make customized diplays for me however i want them, but minimum order is 500 units which makes it impossible at 60 USD per unit.
They could also design th PCB so it fits the original one better. If would be plug and play!
But, it will be too expensive. I will buy one ex of the one with white bg and black text and see if i can use it in my customized build.
Cheers,

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress!

1 Like

Actually, i shelved the project. Was gonna cost me more than i got back, so i put together a fully working normal Rytm and sold it instead. I had too many projects running, so had to get rid of a couple to get my mental health back…
I got a display i was gonna try but i realized it was too alike the original so never bothered. :slight_smile: Can use it for something else…

I got the “black” screen last year, it sucks. It’s blue/purple, I don’t like how it looks with the rest of the machine. Now I’ve got the original screen from Elektron so back to white. Here are some pics, although the color tone that the camera captures is not exactly what the eye sees, which is darker. Both pics are the same machine before and after refurbishing with all new faceplate and knobs. I still have to get the screen changed by a technician.

Yeah it is a bit of a stretch that they call it black, mine was like a dark blue too, I queried it with the seller but was told that was how it is supposed to be, I legit thought they had sent a blue one by mistake.

1 Like

Yes I guess there is no way to do a proper backlit LCD with a black background, makes sense. So it is what it is.

Tip for removing pin headers like this -

1. Remove the black plastic from header so only the pins are left soldered into PCB.

2. One by one remove each pin by applying heat to joint and pull (1 pin at a time) out gently with tweezers.

3. Then use a de-solder sucker or braid to clean left over solder from pads.

4. You should be good to replace with new component.

Trying to take out multiple pins all at same time is a no no, especially if its through hole plated holes.

1 Like

Hi,

I ordered the displays from the Unisystem link posted by mbang. Low price per LCD but shipping can be expensive if you’re not near Poland :slight_smile:

I ordered 4 displays to divide the shipping costs (26 EUR), works out to about 16 EUR per piece. If somebody wants a display or two at this cost (Elektron part is about 22 EUR total), let me know. I will post a photo once I replace mine (still waiting for the encoders to do it in one step).

1 Like

Nice! PLS let us know if they are good. Thank U

The display from Unisystem work as expected (they are Winstar WG12232A). The stock photo on their website shows an upside image - ignore it :slight_smile:

The difficulty in removing the display (with leaving the header on the Rytm control board) cannot be overstated. It’s a tight fitting heavy duty board (the display). I recommend shipping the Rytm to Elektron do the job unless you have a good desoldering station and other tools and love an adventure (there are some very small SMD parts close to the LCD, waiting to be knocked off…).

Nvm, replied to your post in error. Pls delete.