Screen replacement RYTM MKI

The screen is beginning to dim on my RYTM MKI.

I’m out of warranty.

Is there a replacement screen available?

2 Likes

Have you tried support? They’re super helpful and reasonable with costs.

If you’re looking at an off the shelf, DIY replacement there’s a chap on ebay that does a few versions of it (black on white etc.)

1 Like

Why would you contact support if they put the same screen in it? Then you have the same problem again after some years of heavy use!

I tried here as well.
Thank you

Nothing is built to last forever mate.

5 Likes

Bump

3 Likes

I replaced mine using the black and white one available on ebay, it is actually more like white on dark blue but much clearer than the original screen.

Before

After

It is not an easy job to do if you have never done this kind of work before, but it should not be to hard to find a tech who could do it. Basically you need a good soldering iron, a solder sucker, and patience, it took me about 20 minutes to remove the old one and about a minute to put the new one in. Let me know if you need any more info.

28 Likes

looks mint that :ok_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Thank you so much folks.

@derenager Thank you for the images and success story.

I’m going to follow your lead on this.

I’m sorry to rez this thread, but I’m wondering if anyone has any instructions on replacing the screen on the analog mkI series. I’ve had a replacement for my Rytm for a while (2 years) and still need to swap it out. I just never found anything that really made me feel confident in doing it myself.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Well if you don’t feel confident then probably best to get a tech to do it.

Easiest and less risky way is to desolder from the screen side rather than the main PCB side, but it depends if your replacement screen already has the pin header fitted or not, if it does then probably best to very carefully desolder the old one from the Rytm PCB.

Using a desoldering gun is definitely going to make the job much easier especially if you have not done it before.

2 Likes

Right, so by tech, who would you contact? TV repair place?

TV repair shop, or mobile phone/computer repair place is probably more common nowadays.

Also check your local area for hack/maker space clubs as they would most likely have all the equipment needed, and most would appreciate a donation of tools/materials/money I think.

1 Like

BTW I’m selling my MKI with the screen already fitted:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-uk-rytm-mki-with-custom-screen/115013?u=darenager

Just to follow up:

I sent my device to Elektron and they replaced the screen with the aftermarket screen I bought. They did this and shipped it back for $75 or something.

Elektron is my favorite company at this point.

Great machines and amazing customer service.

Never change

8 Likes

I’m sorry if I missed it but is there a step by step on how to do this? Elektron just sent me a new screen for my mk1 but I have no idea where to start… Thanks a lot guys

Despite the frustrated efforts, thanks for documenting your adventure! It takes just as much courage to back out of a project gracefully as it does to dive-in. Very helpful for those of us that are still contemplating this operation ourselves.

Could you give more details on your Arduino rig? Was anything special required to drive that brand/model of LCD? (Protocols, etc.) or did you actually get it working? It’d be in the interest of exploring other display alternatives.

Very valuable info, thanks! Yes, those particular Winstars are an odd resolution, which seems to eliminate the possibility of swapping in an oled replacement. I’ve been wondering if there are oleds that could be flashed with some tweaks or settings to accept the oddball resolution. Some have built-in scaling options etc. I’m just daydreaming at this point, but it would be a valuable step forward if you’re able to confirm a working interface.

My friend and I have done 4 screen swaps. I don’t remember our exact step by step process, but I do know it was easier with both of us using a soldering iron heating the solder around the pins. I held the screen as he pulled the pins out when the solder was hot using a needle nose pliers. Adding solder to the back of the pins helped to loosen the solder.