SB-1 Space Bee

Yes and also yes. This looks great and I’m sure it sounds exceptional, just a little too pricey. My $200 SH01A will have to do.

2 Likes

Very cool. Looks like Darth Vader’s bathroom. What a great time to be a synth enthusiast!

Not in the market for this; and I wish them (Superlative) all the best; but I would say I do quite like the design / aesthetics of it. Very sleek indeed. The yellow offsets in the prototypes (?) looks very swish as well.

3 Likes

I hope it’s a success but there are lots of much more capable synths at this price points.
Plus I wouldn’t spend so much on an actual 101 , I’d probably buy 2nd hand peak , moog , minilogue xd plus something else , nord, lots of behringer clones , upgrade my elektron mk1 to mk2 , medusa, modal thing etc.

Tough market / lots of options heading towards 1000

2 Likes

Exactly. It is sexy but we would rather have a workhorse than a super model. I need a synth that cuts through the mix and the weeds in my yard

2 Likes

It looks like they’re gonna reach their goal pretty soon. I agree with most people it does look amazing, the features are nice to have, but I don’t have that kind of money for this synth.

Now I’m curious about their next products, from the kickstarter page, it says they’re working on other products.

Also, this part is really cool :

From the individual component selection to the overall metal construction, every aspect of the SB01 was designed to be long lasting and repairable. We plan to offer schematics and firmware to allow for service at any time in the future.

1 Like

That is cool, you can tell he was in synth repair. Being able to open things up and work on them seems like a forgotten design concept from long ago. It’s very much like this Super Bee.

bee

3 Likes

Also, would love to see what he does with a drum machine. A super sexy, rechargeable battery powered, Knight Rider themed drum machine.

4 Likes

Would it come In K.I.T.T form ?

5 Likes

It better! I’m can’t be waiting for some MkII version.

1 Like

Uhhhh this thing looks sick, I wasn’t super excited about that show demo way back but looking at it on the KS… it’s just sooo nice looking, I mean come on. So good. Want to buy. Won’t be able to spend bucks like this on a synth like this for a bit.

I think it’s a big mistake to not offer this in pure solid mono yellow and red at launch, just like the all black.

Why no machined integrated handle that flips out and lock in place, maybe partially skeletonized? Big mistake not including that!

1 Like

There’ll be an additionnal keytar handle apparently.

Also, they reached their funding goal already !

1 Like

Good on them :slight_smile:

Like I said, nice looking piece of kit.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I just read about the grip, nice, well I stand by the colors but I still want one bad.

1 Like

The website now has an apparent video in its header/Jumbotron.

Not accessible on mobile.

I spent two solid minutes scrolling around on the site trying to punch that damn play button.

The website mocks me.

Naturally I hate this synth now. I hope this sunth burns in hell

3 Likes

Ryan you crack me up! :laughing:

So it’s on to the stretch goals. Often KS offers feature something inexpensive to add at manufacture – like alternate color schemes. They should consider your idea Hawk.

Super%20Bee

The stretch goals they have on offer:

• 200K - Microtonal tuning
  • 300K - USB Host mode

As far as their future plans, the slogan on their web-site is:
“The sound of the past crafted for the future.”

So let your imaginations play with that idea for a moment.

5 Likes

Good 10 minute discussion on Sonic Talk (which tails off at the end.)

What’s with the two sequencers and the interleaving internal and external sequences, the MODULO mode, that Mat describes? The KS detail on this sounds fascinating, but i can’t quite make out the detail on what it is. I guess we’ll know more when Sound Demo #2 comes out.

It’s a go with KS funding.

2 Likes

Frankly I have not heard Berhinger’s offering sound anywhere near as good as the SB-1 in this most excellent demo:

3 Likes

I see that the SB-1. has been delayed quite a bit, was originally scheduled for release this month, and they’re back with some redesign. Is anyone here waiting for one? They had a lot of pledges and raised a lot of money, it’s such a great collection of ideas, but yikes it’s really delayed.

I was pretty excited about the SB-1, but in the end, I got tired of waiting, sold my sh-01a, bought an sh-101, got scammed, 21 days later got my money back and got a NM SH-101 w/ box… $280 after that got it calibrated, in the end would have been better off waiting for an SB-1…but pretty much don’t think it’s happening, or if it does, I have a hunch it will have some drawbacks. Funny thing is…the issues I had with some sonic aspects of the sh-01a like the filter resonance/slower envelope are actually present/apparent on the OG, wish I had both to compare before having the real thing. Probably the only time that has happened for me in regards to clones.
I really wish there was an SH-09 or SH-2 sonically with the sequencer/arp of the 101.

3 Likes