Rytm MK2 1.70 == Amnesia?!

Hey there,

besides some buttons getting sticky/gluey in the last couple of weeks (which is annoying as hell), my Rytm MK2 started to show some odd software behavior. Wondering if anyone experienced something similar… Whether or not I save a KIT or a PROJECT, my machine occasionally “forgets” e.g. sample allocations and sound settings once I reboot or reload a project: an example would be that a sample I allocated to a sound is no longer allocated or that a setting like TUNE is saved with “24”, but reset to “0” the next time I open the project.

At first I thought I just forgot to save the KIT, or the PROJECT, but the issue persists.

Any ideas/recommendations? Factory reset, etc…?

Thanks.

I have a similar issue, in my case it’s forgotten Kits.

To be more precise, I end up with the last saved Kit being the same as the previously saved Kit.

The changes to the Kit being lost.

I always think I made a mistake (and I deeply dislike using Kits and it’s no benefit for my Workflow, just a hindrance), but I am almost sure I always saved the kit and saved the project and then turned off. And even if I saved the Kit and then turned off, I believe the Kit should be kept.

Now I try to be even more conscious about it and my cemetery of Kits.

(For comparions, on the Analog Four I only ever lost Kits because of my user errors.)

Edit: I always turn the Rytm off when its idle via the switch on the back of the unit.

1 Like

Just to check, are you powering off via the switch on the back of the unit, it via a power strip?

2 Likes

This should not make a difference.

2 Likes

Just checking because Elektron require their devices to be correctly powered down in order for certain data to be saved to internal storage. In bypassing the standard operating procedure, such as by using a power strip, one runs the risk of losing data.

That s only the case for Model series.

4 Likes

The switch on the back of the Analog Rytm seems to be a dumb switch that physically cuts the power, just like a light switch. So it’s impossible for the machine to “know” if you’re cutting power via the button or further down the line, for example via a power outage in the neighborhood. Am I wrong?

I think that KITS can be great, but might understand why you don’t enjoy them. How about setting up a default PROJECT that already has a KIT saved to each PATTERN and always start from there? PATTERN “A1” being linked/saved with “KIT001” … until PATTERN “H16” being saved with “KIT128”. What I don’t yet get about KITS: are they saved automatically when I save the PROJECT, or do I need to save the KIT itself each time I change something (which I do)?

2 Likes

Is all that on mk1 or mk2??
Because i also had a similar issue once, i think, or twice maybe…
What i did was to copy my existing pattern then pasted it to the next slot to save that as a variation. Jumped to the pasted slot, saved it as a kit and everything, then went back to previous pattern to load the last save, but the sequence wouldnt reload… The kit reloaded normally at least. Maybe i saved the sequence, but i have created a muscle memory of first saving the kit then the sequencer. Always! Never the seq only…
But i aint sure. And it was small differences so i payed it no attention

That’s a great idea, I already made a template project with sample slicing in all variations (here), so I can put that into this project as well :wink:

1 Like

Ah I didn’t realise that, thought the rule was across the board. Thanks for educating!!

@Jeanne and @shhh: saving kits without also saving the project does nothing. Saving a project without saving the kits also does nothing. I’ve always disliked this, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

That s not correct. I only periodically save my project and kits persist just fine. Of course when switching projects one needs to save the current one first.

Currently re-reading the manual, to make sure I get the basics right. Page 24 states: “However, regarding kits (the main entity for editing and collectively storing a complete set of Sounds and effects), when the Analog Rytm MKII is switched off, only the settings of the active kit are preserved. If for example, the kit linked to pattern 1 is edited (kit A), another pattern is selected and its kit edited (kit B) and then the power is turned off, only the changes to kit B (the most recent active kit) will be remembered.” — Also can’t confirm that’s how my unit seems to work at all. Both changes are remembered; or randomly forgotten, unfortunately.

3 Likes

I was literally just searching for old post discussing kit saving behavior on the Rytm, because I accidentally saved a bunch of changes to a favourite kit, which should have been a new kit :man_facepalming:
Here y’all are discussing it in dog-damn real-time :grinning:

Turned out this was my saving grace.

When I realised I had made a mistake saving the kit, I saved the active project to a new project name, then went back to the old project, reloaded the old kit, and it did indeed sound like the old favourite version…

Evening saved :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If you are answering Zac_Kyoti, a can see you both being right.

From this thread I am gathering that changes to active kit is persistent across power cycles, but the only way to guarantee a kit sounds like it should is saving the kit often.

These saves are not saved to the project though, and if you load another project, you loose any saved kits you didn’t save to the project …. Is that correctly understood?

So that saving a kit is like “saving” it to the pool of data that is our current working project, but that data pool not being saved.

That data pool is persistent across reboots though as long as you don’t switch project?

If that is correct, then I can work with that mental model… albeit slightly anxiety inducing…

1 Like

(Just was sitting on the Syntakt after neglecting it for a little while, and how free as a bird I feel without having to worry about Kits! :zonked: Every new pattern a worry-free blank palette for mischief! And to explain a bit what I said above: There’s almost never the case where I have two patterns (of one song) sharing a kit. There’s always something different. I understand it makes sense when using it as a regular Drum Machine, although Analog Four has Kits, too …)

3 Likes

This happened to me after I updated. All the samples in my projects were gone and parameters were also reset.

This is exactly how I understand it to be. And I also find it somewhat anxiety inducing.

2 Likes

(It s the opposite for me. Everytime on ST when I go from building the first pattern to the second of a track the frustration starts. Tweaking the levels balance on one pattern? Have to go through all the others that have the same sounds.

At least with kits we have the option of saving a kit per pattern and get the same structure as on the digi’s but that doesn’t work the other way around.)

3 Likes