Rytm MK2 1.70 == Amnesia?!

So here s something that might be tripping some people up. The setting reload kit on change, which I keep checked but by standard it might be off.

It s in settings > control > seq config.

With this unchecked changes to kits persist even when changing to patterns with another kit. You can comeback to the previous pattern/kit and have your unsaved changes back. But change project and come back and they ll be gone. Very confusing to me, so I keep this checked.

I imagine that updating fw wipes this temp memory too.

5 Likes

Very confusing to me, so I keep this checked.

a) Interesting, I’ll take a look into this, mine was unchecked. If I understand it correctly, this would explain why I’d be able to change multiple KITS without saving and still have those changes intact once I power off the machine (in contrast to what the manual states).

b) Saving a PROJECT does or doesn’t save changed KITS automatically?

check the syntakt manual, 14.7 global fx/mix :wink: (though i use that only seldomly for the same reasons … most often a chorus has a different instrument somewhere which needs another level)

also you can just copy and paste the kit to another pattern, it works like this:

• save project
  • copy&paste first pattern to second pattern
  • in the pattern menu, go to reload from proj/sequence data
    :wink:
2 Likes

I suggested this feature.

So many steps for something so basic.

Does this statement include the handling of Kits on the Rytm?

To me that s way easier but we re clearly not going to agree on this.

And I suggested square waves for the Syntakt. What do I win?

Well at least I’m not p__sed off for no reason.

I see no reason for this statement.

1 Like

Okay, I am now 100% sure that my unit isn’t saving things as it should be. I exported loops of a couple of PATTERNS that I made, saved those PATTERNS and KITS properly, shut down the machine… restarted later and… boom: nothing’s the same.

3 Likes

Still wondering about this… should or shouldn’t it?

My guess is it doesn’t. I think this feature is for live play where you might want to go back to a previous pattern and kit and have it sound as it was tweaked live.

But it’s a confusing mess for sure. The MD and MnM had such a clean elegance to the kit structure. Now we also have parts on OT, no kits on digi’s (but with a live mode to preserve some settings across patterns…), models that don’t save their current state if not properly turned off with the power button, and hordes of confused users…

This does sound like a malfunction or bug though. Did you contact support?

Thanks, makes sense. A global setting would make sense, too—will submit to Elektron.

This does sound like a malfunction or bug though. Did you contact support?

Yes, waiting for a reply.

Pardon my ignorance, but I couldn’t figure out which “live mode” you’re referring to for the Digis. I only got the DT, so if it is ST and/or DN specific feature, then that explains the gap in my memory. But I’m definitely curious to what this means…

Maybe it’s only ST then? It’s called global fx/mix and one can choose to have some settings persist across patterns.

Ah I see, and I do recognize it from the Digitakt as well.

I guess I never get close enough to play a live show, for this to actually be something I considered using :joy: