Rust Audio Developer @ Elektron

It’s just the work around that’s not very rust like! I really like the idea of rust, I’ve not written anything significant in it yet though.

Not sure that’s entirely true. Some examples I have seen (for grahpics, not audio) use things like iterators and exact_chunks. Not ugly at all, and nothing like throwing away all the code and using C++

EDIT: I’ve written a CRDT library, and a distributed database in Rust, and have so far dodged all unsafe and unrust like code (we do have a lot of unsafe in the FFI layer of the mobile client, but I have doged all that). My experience is you pay upfront in development time, but the code that comes out is much more robust/dependable.

EDIT2: one thing I will say is that tooling for large codebases is still not great. We waste a lot of time on compiliation. Hoping the new M1Max can save a lot of that

EDIT3: None of what I have done is remotely as performance critical as audio or video. Though an ex-collegue and friend has done some graphics work that is fiendishly fast, without resorting to un-Rusty hacks at all.

3 Likes

Rusty its got your name all over it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fika is a Swedish thing, and it’s something you do - as in “Let’s have a fika” or “You up for a fika?” It doesn’t translate well, but the activity itself is when you sit down and have a coffee with a few of your friends, and share some pastry as well - cinnamon buns, maybe some nice chocolate, perhaps a piece of apple pie. For many, it’s something you do instead of seeing your friends at a restaurang, go to the movies or whatnot. It’s that integrated into our culture.

The entire ritual is charged with the idea that you’re taking a break, together with others - it’s close to ceremonial, almost ritual, while the event itself is just as casual as it sounds.

It’s so rooted in our social structure, you can expect that in any formal context - longer meetings, seminars, lectures - there’s a fika scheduled. As in -

0900 - the President talks about climate crisis and the pandemic
1000 - Fika

And if you miss the 0900, people might go “Oh, okay, well, life happens”, but if you miss the 1000, people “Oh no! You did not! Oh, it was the best! The cookies today … and the coffee, dear lord the coffee. But look, I saved you a bite. Here you go.”

And if you’re the arranger and don’t schedule a fika, the people that got cancel cultured, they’d be popular compared to you.

And since Elektron is in Gothenburg, you better mean it when you say “god fika” :slight_smile: “god” means “tasty” or “delicious” or “good”, in this case :slight_smile:

31 Likes

Sounds like I want to have a god fika as well! Been looking for real estate in Sweden lately … so affordable compared to Germany. If there wasn’t the language obstacle and my lack of an idea / profession for making money. Although I would have some ideas … (no not Rust … so it’s getting OT :grinning:)

2 Likes

I guess you are looking in very rural areas? Urban Sweden has some of the highest sqm prices

Of course! I want my freedom without disturbing neighbours with my crappy bass music :grinning: See the sunrise and -set from my Yurt patio. Also I want my own forest.

1 Like

Way OT now, but going to suggest you look at Galicia in Spain for this use case.

3 Likes

North of Sweden is cheap. Also isolated. As in not a neighbour for miles and miles. You got internet, tho :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You would hope so given fika is Swedish…

2 Likes

My understanding is that there are ways to bypass it, both at compile time and runtime, by using a
combination of unsafe keyword and bypassing array checks; in other words, “Here be dragons” e.g.:

let myArray = [0, 1 .. 9]

*// Compiles. Result is 6 *
let myValue = myArray[7]

*// Compiler error: Out of Bounds *
let myValue= myArray[27]

*// Compiles. Out of Bounds run time exception *
let myIndex = 27;
let myValue= myArray[myIndex]

Caveat: No coffee. Not a Rust developer. Could be completely wrong.

2 Likes

God Fika

Is this some old Swedish God of the Vikings or something? :thinking:

Yes and no.

@PekeDorty

As a former southerner (born in Stockholm, studied and worked in Jönköping) when the family moved to North of Sweden was the first time I felt like I was home… can’t recommend it enough!

Here’s the morning view from my window today!

21 Likes

Good to know the ol’ Tempest is getting some snow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It seems very close to our French venerated “apéro”, that involves alcoholic beverages and a little something to eat BEFORE you really start (or eventually skip) your lunch/dinner.

Rust reminds me my courses in C. It’s been years.
Good days. Lots of apéros, then.

6 Likes

I spent a week in Luleå a few years ago for work and I loved it. I remember fondly the warm welcome, the polar lights, having a barbecue on the iced sea, … and the Fika of course :slight_smile:. The coffee was a bit light for me but I loved the pastries and the ritual of it.

2 Likes

Thank you for detailed explanation.

1 Like

Yeah, alcohol and Swedes are usually not a good idea, especially before lunch :laughing:.

I think it’s ye old Viking blood coming to life as soon as spirits are involved :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

So what does this mean for new products?