Rossum Panharmonium Spectral Resynthesizer

Just spotted this today – and it’s not going to be available for a while, July maybe, and there’s not even anything to listen to yet, and it’s just a Eurorack module – BUT it looks absolutely amazing!

The Basics: You feed it an audio stream, anything from something simple to a complex mix. It spectrally analyzes this and the lets you additively resynthesize and recreate the harmonic structure of the sound while you modify the basic elements of that structure. This technique has been around for a while, but the implementation Rossum has put together here looks very promising.

The module allows you store presets as well as store ‘freezes’ that can be modified and used like an oscillator source.

There is an article here at Synthtopia that discusses it.

From the description at Perfect Circuit:

PANHARMONIUM FEATURES

• Spectral resynthesizer in Eurorack format
  • Analyzes incoming audio and resynthesizes the analyzed spectra with an internal oscillator bank
  • Transforms any input source into a re-synthesized sound and allows for ample spectral manipulation
  • Slide parameter defines rate of analysis, and can be tempo synced or run freely
  • Center Freq and Bandwidth controls determine range of frequencies to be analyzed
  • Freeze control for sustaining current analyzed spectrum
  • Voice parameter for selection of number of oscillators used for resynthesis (from one to 33)
  • Blur control adds lag to the resynthesis, creating smearing effects between spectra
  • Variable resynthesis Feedback for evolving, as-of-yet unheard sounds
  • Waveform, pitch, glide, and mix controls for oscillator bank
  • Waveforms include standard waveforms as well as special crossfading wave shapes
  • Drum Mode optimized for superior transient response
  • Spectral Warping function enables decoupling of individual harmonics from the analyzed overtone structure for inharmonic warping effects
  • Global preset memory and Spectra memory
4 Likes

Isnt that what the Kyma system does? A mate of mine had one. Synthesising audio waves addively from sine waves. Awesome stuff.
I dont have a eurorack system but this looks enticing!

2 Likes

Harmor in a module ?

2 Likes

I think kyma systems do just about everything don’t they? Was looking at them online before, they can do stuff I can’t really find anywhere else, pricey and presumably hard to learn though. Module looks interesting, I’d really like to see a demo

Check out Gunver Ryberg, she uses one. Both in studio and in her live sets. Bold!

2 Likes
3 Likes

This looks super cool. Haven’t bought a module in a while, but may have to get this.

Another demo from Rossum. This blows my mind.

3 Likes

Looks like I’m finally getting into modular, I’m going to get a sample mangling rack with this, clouds and that other mangler from mutable

Thanks for the heads up

2 Likes

Sounds crazy nice. Anybody know any plugin coming close to this?

1 Like

I think Alchemy does something like this

1 Like

Is anyone using a Panharmonium?
Really keen on getting one. The possibilities seem deep, but there is a surprising lack of videos from users.
Keen to hear thoughts from those that have one.

1 Like

Did you ever get round to this? Always thought a sampler rack would be cool

1 Like

Check out the software options too. Loopop did a video on additive synthesis fairly recently, and he detailed some software options, and some cool advanced features you can get that way.

Found it !

3 Likes

I have one, there great for basically putting anything thru and making washed out sounds with, I honestly need to start using it a lot more, its definitely one of the modules I wouldn’t sell as it as a lot of useful ways of using it.

1 Like

Yep. Love my Panharmonium. It does stuff that (as far as I can tell) doesn’t have an analog in any other software or hardware device. I like additive synthesis a lot and I have a number of soft synths (Razor, Loom II, Pigments, Form) but the approach to resynthesis in Panharmonium is different to all of those & is a lot of fun, especially under voltage control.

One thing to note is that there’s a delay from input to output, which I’ve seen people complain about (because they don’t understand how audio works, I guess). A lag is unavoidable with any sort of additive resynthesis because the internal pitch analysis is not instantaneous. It needs to take windowed slices of the incoming audio.

Anyhow, if you’re into additive synthesis or resynthesis, this is one of the best devices out there imo.

4 Likes

Cheers for the feedback. Looks like I might have to get one…

Thanks. I’m kind of enjoying hardware at the moment, and haven’t fired up many softsynths in a while. Will keep it in mind though. Live 11’s spectral resonator seems pretty handy too.

1 Like