Roland Verselab MV-1

thomann lists it for <€700, which is ~$700

Of course, no need computer or song mode to make a song. Some talented people make a song even without a sequencer (fingerdrumming, keyboard play).
So yeah, depend of what you call a song, but definitively you can do a full production with just one Elektron box.

1 Like

Why even give a unit to Engadget?

The reviewer clearly states he’s not a vocalist and focus only on synth and drum bits. When he clearly states in the beginning that it’s for vocalists. Sorry to be harsh but this is a shit article

2 Likes

I don’t think anything could be worse than the MC-707 screen.

ah, da almighty Beat Thang…

1 Like

yes , it would be nice to see other genre’s used to market gear…

i guess the hiphop/trap market might be where the money is(16 - 30 year olds with disposable income trying to make fashionable music) …, but other styles of music do exist…

1 Like

if you looked on the novation threads you might disagree (lots of people complain that circuits do not have screens) .

exactly. hiphop is current alias of mainstream. but there are other genres with electronic beats and singing.

12 minutes mono 44.1khz 16 bit would suggest 64MB RAM.

128MB would have made this so much more competitive.
Market research fail.

4 Likes

I actually like that the circuit does not have a screen. The viewing angle on the MC707 is atrocious.

But that much RAM would have added a dollar to the cost.

UX fail on the lack of any beat demarcation / rhythmic scale whatsoever around the step buttons too.

C’mon, Roland. There should be at least two more rounds of design revisions to go here.

I mean when they are sync’d up together? Get you use one of them as the master and use it’s arranger to create a song and then all the others follow? I was told previously this wasn’t possible with Elektron boxes?

I don’t know I have only the Digitakt :smile:
But yes I think I would use one as master sync to start sequencer of every other and then “play” with them like an instrument composed of multiple independent sounds sources.

But the Digitakt doesn’t even have an arranger so how could you create the song structure? I can see they are good for jamming but not for arranging a complete song

I use my fingers to press on buttons

4 Likes

um, no.
i understand that you mean 12-bit technology of certain time, but wav format stores data in integer number of bytes (1 – 8bit, 2 – 16 bit, 3 – 24 bit and 4 – 32 bit). never seen 12-bit wav in my life.

2 Likes

Ah yes you are right.
I am remembering the total headache I once had when dealing with a 12 bit .wav

Hopefully this box has simple bit rate reduction.

since it’s zen-core, sound engine must be identical or very close to 707/101.
bit/sample rate reduction is definitely there.

It doesn’t appear that you can load your own samples into a kit. Only the instrument and individual drum tracks. I could be wrong.

If I’m not, that’s a failure.

1 Like