Roland Verselab MV-1

Yes the MV8800 was an awesome machine, too huge and too slow but not much else to fault about it.

I wonā€™t go for this, but I like what Rolandā€™s doing here, and in general like that they keep going for all in production stations that sound stellar. I personally donā€™t click with them - at all - and not for lack of trying, but as far as the holistic take on features go, I think Rolandā€™s winning the game.

The fact that their interfaces both hardware and software equal a punishment worthy of a chapter in Danteā€™s Inferno, is another thing entirely.

3 Likes

just my 2 cents for those who are into astrology.
product announce was made during the void moon.
thatā€™s it.

4 Likes

this looks like it could be a very nice One Box Solution with a super swift workflow
a machine that gets out of the way so to speak. could be very appealing

At that price thoughā€¦
Maybe Iā€™d prefer to ask a different machine to lay across my way,
make me climb all its hurdles
and finally buy an Octatrackā€¦?

1 Like

Where is undo on that thing? Wtf Roland?!

1 Like

Yeah yeah, that cool okā€¦ but nah I told me I will only buy Elektron from now. Bored to buy stuff for ā€œsoundsā€ or ā€œfeaturesā€. I just want to make music and Elektron machines are the best to do that.

3 Likes

heck where is the variphrase?

4 Likes

besides the latest MCs were winners in many regards. They have some flaws but also surpass many ā€žnew schoolā€œ competitors in terms of sound and feature density

2 Likes

Three simple questions.

Does it have a count-in?

Can individual tracks be odd numbered steps?

Can it sequence external midi gear?

2 Likes

Looks alright for someone who wants to record vocals to a hardware box + mess with samples + do some level of production.

I donā€™t want it, but I can see a place for it, especially if the included effects (Auto-Pitch correction, doubler, harmonizer etc) are decent.

1 Like

hate to sound like an old guy, but there is a lot to dislike about the sound of modern hip hop :see_no_evil:

16 Likes

Iā€™m always looking for ways to use a machine the way it was NOT intended to be used. So Iā€™m always curious.

A loooong time ago, producers were using boxes for everything other than what the manufactures intended. That led to some pretty genre defining moments.

Nothing ground breaking or genre defining coming out of my basement for sure. But, I like the idea of doing things that arenā€™t meant to be done.

So while this is aimed at hip hop vocalist, Iā€™m like, how can I use this for techno or house or something more experimental. You never know right :metal:

9 Likes

Can you actually make complete songs on Elektrons without using a computer? I know some have song mode (Octatrack?) but not all of them. So yes a desk full of Elektrons would be nice but is more for jamming and live performance. Or have I missed something?

1 Like

The one thing I have issues with all these pattern/clip based boxes is that you canā€™t record a long evolving pattern, say over 32 bars, or record an long acid line with all your tweaking through a track. NI have found a way with their new clips feature which is cool. The Force letā€™s you record long tracks directly into the Arranger too which is great. But the MC-707 cannot do this, or the SP-16. I think the MV-1 vocal track could be useful for this purpose. Does anyone know if you can record audio from a track to the vocal track, or is limited to recording just from Mic in?

The phantom power is a cool feature, and kinda the only thing that makes this box stand out imo. All in all, i think this thing is a very well polished stepping stone, and that being said, some kid is gonna find one of these some day, second hand maybe third, dirt cheap, and make some fantastic tracks

4 Likes

that microphone socket resembled me something, and finally i realized ā€” Beat Thang!
but since this machine obviously runs some flavor of the same OS as MC-707 ā€” itā€™s at least expected to work stable.

• theyā€™ve finally made the text on the box readable, its very dark on mc101.
  • horrendous rap/trap/hip hop/ cool kids / vocoder / auto tuned trashy horrible bleh meh ā€¦eā€¦ iā€™ll stop there.

itā€™ll probably do well.

2 Likes

I can see how limited it could be for forward thinking vocalistsā€¦but it is cool to be able to use the vocal processor in real time as you record.

It is clearly aimed at modern Trap / Rā€™nā€™B-ish vocalists and seems fairly straightforward to operate or lay down a beat and layer some vocals in.

For the price range I can see people hesitating in between the MPC One and the Verselab.

I ll pass though, I feel that when you have an MPC and/or an Octatrack you can get more creative with your sound and /or vocals.

1 Like

likely, but not necessarily.

for instance, if i start synthwave / darkwave / electro industrial project ā€” guess what iā€™ll buy as all-in-one gig solution for 2-people band (singer + me)

wait, Iā€™m confused:
is this gonna be 700U$ or 1300U$?

at the second price Iā€™d rather get an octatrack to dive deep
at the first price you could get this and a second hand Octa
so you have one machine to dive deep, one to just quickly lay down a fun little ditty