Roland Verselab MV-1

I don’t get their display decisions and the idea behind all the restrictions they have. They seem to be far away from modern chips. Seems they developed a core system many years ago, base all their systems on it and now sit on really bad aged chips :frowning:

It’s rare I come across a groovebox I have zero interest in. Roland found the unicorn.

14 Likes

I hope the MV-1 puts pressure on NI to reduce the price of the Maschine+ since this seems to be a competitor to it.

I wish the Maschine had the row of 16 steps in addition to pads. I can never seem to get use to the MPC 16-pad style of sequencer.

4 Likes

It looks ugly and the features are not so interesting to warrant a $700 retail price.
It seems too little, too late honestly

1 Like

4 Likes

It’s not for me, but I don’t hate it. A rompler-style groovebox with a vocal pre, not bad for the price. The guy in the video makes a track in 10 minutes, seems like he’s doing what the machine is made to do. If you’re not into that workflow (making patterns and clips using stock sounds and building them into songs), I don’t know if this thing can really go far outside of that paradigm.

1 Like

Seems almost to be the groovebox equivalent to an arranger keyboard or something. Its not really for people you would find on a forum focused on deep boxes. I’ve know enough musicians who are totally un-tech savvy but are totally amazing once you get them up and running, set them in front of one of these and they could probably get some good work done. Its not for me or 95% of the people here but interesting to see the groovebox formfactor being diversified a bit more.

3 Likes

False advertisement, imo.

2 Likes

yeah, the guy effortlessly knocks out everything beats / rimes first take.

it doesnt look staged at all :wink:

That’s good entertainment though, I enjoyed the video, I love learning about new gear, even if I am not interested…

They also seem to have Traptendo for the Hip-Hop heads on board on YT for a quick info-mercial / tutorial…he kinda cheats on his MPC Live for the Verselab at the beginning of it, made me giggle…

3 Likes

Yeah, and now they are just taking a cue from Taco Bell. Same ingredients, just mix it up a little and call it something new.

1 Like

…when all we really wanted all these years is an updated MV8800

2 Likes

I went there and they said they stopped making « Mexican pizza » . That was a sad day.

It’s kind of crazy knowing that a used SP-606 can be found for a fraction of the price and do the same thing.

2 Likes

I was just having this discussion with a friend last week about the Mexican Pizza. Sad indeed. One of their more unique items.

And at least the SP-606 has a D-Beam.

3 Likes

As the resident MV repper I figure I should chime in. This is basically a kaosilator of sorts with a vocal recording tool in it.

In and of itself this is not a big deal but it’s sales will suffer from the same thing Roland has imposed on practically everything they’ve made for the last 25 years. That problem is their insistence on naming new products with model names and numbers of classic/cult pieces. It’s so transparent that they want to capitalize on those past instances. This seems hilarious to me given their preferred stance to “not chase ghosts”.

What this ultimately creates is an unobtainable expectation with those familiar with the classic pieces. These products then get shit on and the perception becomes reality. Now had they just called them something else and let it stand on its own merits Roland would most likely have a much warmer or less incredulous response.

I’m sure some people will buy this and I know someone will make great stuff with it but this is not a successor to the one true MV!(not that there’s anything wrong with that😉)

5 Likes

Overall, I like this new product, and will probably purchase a unit to create R&B demos away from the PC. I more than likely would have purchased the Verselab MV-1 instead of the MC-707 if it was announced two months earlier.

I appreciate that Roland added a proper song mode, which is sorely lacking on the TR-8S and MC-707.

1 Like

This feels like a product that should have come before the Digis and Rytms and MPCs and Maschines of the world, not after.

6 Likes

If I hadn’t gotten an MC-101 that didn’t quite jell with me, and more recently a Maschine+ I’ve fallen in love with, I’d be curious about this. I’ve sent the cdm.link link off to my son; this is right about the price point and feature set for his interests, I think, especially once the pandemic lifts and he can actually go live in a dorm for university.

2 Likes

I can see some existing owners of the 707 and the 101 selling and purchasing this. So expect to see a flock of Roland devices on the market in the near future.

1 Like

Before…

Like, say, 1984. :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

if you think of trap vocals this box is perfect, a gang of people are gonna make this box the center piece of their record label… watch Roland is no fool, they’ve been listening and dropped a one stop shop for everybody who starts and ends a verse with the letter A.

I agree with adonis though it will be interesting to see how people can flip the machine …

1 Like