Roland TR-8S

Do you know if the new editor makes setting up kits less ball-sucky? I am looking at one of these as well.

Thanks in advance,

MIK

dunno, sold my tr-8s some time ago… Miss it for quick jams…

The 707 looks cool to but I use the MPC for those duties. I’m mainly interested in making funky TR grooves with ACB synthesis, processing and FX, sprinkled with some samples, and FM stabs, plucks, bases etc ;D

Okey, yeah the menu diving sounds like it could be a bummer.

Just watched this, it’s a good demo https://youtu.be/-Y2RQJJTJ0A

1 Like

What this box really needs is class compliant audio via usb!

1 Like

Its fucking ace. Full stop.
Making kits is actually quicker than your average elektron due to having full access to major parameters for all tracks concurrently on the front panel… you can actually mix in real time with zero page turning on the menus.

What it might lack im sequencer tricks, it more than makes up for in sound quality, live performance, fun, depth of fx editing. Put off but the small screen? Dont be, theres button short cuts for everything, once learned, every thing is a combo away… kind of like elektrons.

you can write a new pattern while a pattern is running, you can copy and paste tracks, variations and patterns, while a pattern is playing. Elektrons cant do that.

I mostly use mine as a dedicated drum machine along side other gear. But sometimes I go standalone groovebox. Audio example here:

7 Likes

Love my 707, especially for songs that need a lot of polyphony, but I just cannot part with my TR-8S. It is just so easy to put together beats and tweak them live.

Nice track!

I really like the sound of that :slight_smile: I’ll try to find a used one and give it a shot! It seems like that would be a pretty good value for money with the 2.0 update and all.
Thanks for responding!

I think the 8S is great for performance (as in recording/sampling live tweaking, I’ve not been out playing festivals with it), as long as you can live with only one assignable parameter. That’s occasionally a bit of a downer for me, because it’s obvious how much it could do if only it had all three knobs assignable, like the 707. But there’s a lot you can do with what’s already there, and it’s set up in a way that makes fiddling with a running pattern, even just a single one-bar loop, a joy.

3 Likes

On a second note, I didn’t know the 707 had the Zen Core for the TR drum sounds, thought it was pure samples.

How does the MC-707 Zen Core stack up against the TR-8s ACB synthesis on for example a 909 kit? :thinking: Does Zen core somehow emulate the analog sound but in a primitive way? Or is it more like shapable samples?

I’ve read some comments that the ACB sounds better but haven’t heard a proper comparison…

The drumkits on 707 are samples.

1 Like

but you can make a zen synth patch with pcm…
that’s nice!

and there is a random sound generator that can makes drumhits (not in classic x0x territory).

Ah okey, got it, thanks! That’s a bit of a bummer…

Nice. It does look like a cool groovebox for sure.

I updated my free drumkits for the TR-8S. These include the CR-78, Microtonic, Electribe ER-1 and x0x kits. You can download the kits here in one zip with install instructions. Enjoy!

https://synthgroups.com/members/alex/activity/76/

5 Likes
13 Likes

Yes!
If only they made those extra FM parameters accessible via external midi.

Good to see per step probablity finally. Happy with that.

And will enjoy the new FM synths.

Not fussed about the FX.

3 Likes

Roland has made some incredible instruments over the years. I count the TR-8s amongst their best machines. Now it’s even better.

8 Likes

I was truly hoping for improved sample management, but decent update nonetheless.

1 Like

Quite the understatement imo.

It’s a mature product at this time. I honestly did not expect any new features added. Therefore, my expectations are low.